PDA

View Full Version : Anchor locker Vent?

ccx2
09-06-2009, 08:16 PM
The plywood Garvey im building will have an anchor locker in the bow that will have bulkheads on four sides and a simple hinged plywood flush lid/hatch with a finger hole or latch, small limbers on the aft most bulkhead to drain water from the wet rode and rain water that will come in around the hatch.The whole works will be covered in epoxy. My Question is should i vent this some way? like maybe a vent on the bulkhead [ugly], or a pattern of holes in the bulkhead ? What do you all think?:)

john welsford
09-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Just open the hatch and take the rope and anything else that holds water out when the boats being stored.

John Welsford

The plywood Garvey im building will have an anchor locker in the bow that will have bulkheads on four sides and a simple hinged plywood flush lid/hatch with a finger hole or latch, small limbers on the aft most bulkhead to drain water from the wet rode and rain water that will come in around the hatch.The whole works will be covered in epoxy. My Question is should i vent this some way? like maybe a vent on the bulkhead [ugly], or a pattern of holes in the bulkhead ? What do you all think?:)

ccx2
09-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the replies. Im not really worried about the contents as much as i am the dampness causing harm of some sort to the unpainted epoxy coating on the inside of the storage area. I hadnt planned on painting the inside because it wont see the sun/uv much and paint would be just something else to worry with. Actually it just occurred to me to slightly wedge open the lid when in storage, duh.:)

johngsandusky
09-07-2009, 12:30 PM
On my Pennant Sloop I used to prop the cabintop hatch a little open to let air flow in. I also put a one inch copper pipe elbow in the foredeck. Both of these things helped keep the boat fresh.