PDA

View Full Version : And...when the paint starts falling off?

redbopeep
09-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Well, I was certainly forewarned by Lew :rolleyes: who wished me luck in keeping the paint on the hull for a year!

It's been only 5 months since launching and while the paint on MOST of the boat is still quite lovely, the forward part of the port side is having paint push away from some of the seams (where seam compound is pushing outwards) and a few big flakes have stripped away. We have 3 big flakes gone (oh, about 1" x 5" long) and numerous places where I can tell its only a matter of time (on much of the port side) as the paint has pushed away from the underlying wood along many seams and has cracked along the seamlines where the paint is pooched outwards from the seam compound pushing out a bit.

I suppose, on a calm day (since some of this is right at the waterline) I'll go "touch up" with some Kush Marine Paint...don't know what else to do until haul-out. We used Smiths CPES to seal the hull and then painted with Z-Spar primer and top coated with Kush Marine Paint in an eggshell low gloss (it can be used as topcoat or primer) with intent of putting two coats of a semi-gloss Kush Marine Paint on at the first haulout (hopefully April 2010).

Besides touch-up and keep my fingers crossed is there anything I should do differently? I mean I did contemplate scraping down the seams where it's pooching out the seam compound and touching them ALL up now before it gets "worse" but I don't know if it's really worth it. Any one with experience? Also, this is ONLY happening on the port side of the boat. The other, starboard, side generally gets more sun (south facing on our fore-and-aft tied mooring) but I can't imagine that that's all the difference.

Mystery.

Chris Coose
09-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Victoria got topside seam filler pushed out after being out of the water for a year. No paint would have stuck to it.
I think the next time I get to the topsides now that she is in the water all the time she should look stunning.