PDA

View Full Version : 23 cents

Tylerdurden
09-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Just opened my mail. Place that owed me over a grand in service went belly up last year. I guess it was settled as they paid my claim.
23 cents. I know the lawyers got paid.:mad:

botebum
09-03-2009, 09:06 AM
I just opened my mail too. Property taxes went down about $10. $159.88 plus $50 fire fees for a grand total of $209.88. I know that's gonna' really kill some of you in the northeast:D

Doug

Iceboy
09-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Jeez Doug, if that is a yearly bill I would gladly trade with you. Jim...

botebum
09-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Ayup. Annual tax bill.

Doug

Paul Pless
09-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Ayup. Annual tax bill.

DougThis is why public education in the South sucks, as well as many other disparities. And I'm saying this as a proud former Alabamian.:( There exists a strong lobby of large landowners (nowadays mostly corporate, but formerly individuals), throughout the South that have somehow been able to maintain this unfair situation.

botebum
09-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Yes and no Paul. My tax value is only $52k. It's a shame that our new North Carolina Education Lottery isn't working:rolleyes: It must be losing money as the state asked for $400,000 back from our county school system last year. Summer's school lost a couple teachers, increasing class size and dropped around 4 points on the testing. I'd better go buy my lottery tickets so that after the good ol' boy network up in Raleigh takes their cut my kids don't have to attend school in a friggen' tent:mad:

Doug

Iceboy
09-03-2009, 11:34 AM
52K value in my town would add up to about $900 and the house would be small and barely livable. Of course we are in Wisconsin. One of the tax and piss away capitols in the U.S.

John of Phoenix
09-03-2009, 11:46 AM
They sent you a check for 23 cents? The stamp cost twice that and processing the check was probably five times as much. Better a letter, "Sorry buddy, you just got screwed. We don't pay claims less than $50 and your $0.23 didn't make the cut. Please feel free to claim a loss of $1000 on your next tax return."

Vince Brennan
09-03-2009, 11:52 AM
In Germantown (Philadelphia) $52k would be about $1100 or so... Mine is just over $2300 for which I get 20 minute police response, a closed firehouse in my district and absolutely NO streets maintenance or ploughing. We do get a one-a-week trash pickup, but that's about to be reduced to bi-weekly. The schools are for crap, which is where most of the tax money is supposed to go, and the city's infrastructure is (viz: South Street Bridge, which is finally being repaired, but only because it shed some concrete onto I-276 one fine and startling morning)falling to pieces. We have something called the "Office Of Licenses And Inspections" (better know to one and all as "Graft Central") which is supposed to inspect all buildings for structural integrity upon sale and /or upon a complaint.

There is now a proposal to make building owners pay the costs of these inspections rather than having the City pay the inspectors.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?"

The City is out of money because they were invested in some of those wonderful mortgage investment schemes...

The State is out of money for some reason (suspiciously similar, no doubt)...

The Nation is running a deficit that would choke a team of Percherons...

Looking at things from the bottom up, I begin to wonder if Mark isn't being too conservative (is that possible?) in his views.

Milo Christensen
09-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Tie in Vince's post with Tyler's thread about zombie suppliers and you can see the beginning of one of the most serious problems coming down the pike. States that aren't allowed by the state constitution to run a deficit are turning into zombie suppliers of government services.

But, maybe that's not a bad thing.

Paul Pless
09-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Tie in Vince's post with Tyler's thread about zombie suppliers and you can see the beginning of one of the most serious problems coming down the pike. States that aren't allowed by the state constitution to run a deficit are turning into zombie suppliers of government services.

But, maybe that's not a bad thing.I just thought Alabama municipal budget politics were bad.... then I moved to the Detroit suburbs. Appalling!

Milo Christensen
09-03-2009, 12:25 PM
I just thought Alabama municipal budget politics were bad.... then I moved to the Detroit suburbs. Appalling!

No, you didn't move to the Detroit suburbs, you moved to Livingston County. Whole 'nother animal, Livingston County is. You'll see.

Chris Coose
09-03-2009, 06:16 PM
The waterfront place I bought last year valued @ 400,000 is $1000/year in muni taxes.
Some old summer girl left the town 10 million a few years ago and no town clerk has stole it yet.

brad9798
09-03-2009, 07:03 PM
for a grand total of $209.88

I wish I could just pay that tax per month!

WOW- that is looooooooooooooow.

TimmS
09-03-2009, 07:49 PM
This is really interesting to hear what taxes are in different parts. We live on 90 acres, half pasture half wooded with a pretty nice house, two barns, wood shop, big storage shed/garage. we get trash pickup one a week, schools are an hour by bus, snow plowing is last in the county. We pay about 600 a year. Our other property is in town 1.6 acres, big old house in the historic dist. Zoned commercial is 1800/year

Captain Blight
09-03-2009, 08:39 PM
My uncle's house on a lake in Wisconsin, probably worth between 450K and 600K depending on who's looking that day, he pays almost 8k a year to the village. Trash pickup once a week, VFD (good VFD, but still), minimal ambulance service, no police patrols to speak of. Very restrictive toward what he can do at the water's edge but fairly open to architecturarl stylings.

One lot away, undeveloped, my taxes are about $1200/yr. Pretty high for 1.97 acres, though it is on the water and right next to a public boat launch.