PDA

View Full Version : Norman! Come back, Norman!



Milo Christensen
09-03-2009, 06:38 AM
I am having a serious political thread discussion withdrawal. It's all your fault. You really do start the best political threads.

I can only read so many boring posts about insomnia, horny dogs, truck axles (WTF's with that one, anyway?), the lack of Canadian sperm donors, and on and on.

If you don't come back soon and stir the pot, I might even get desperate enough to open the Oz politics thread and see what those daft buggers down there have been going interminably on about. How can 25 million people have so much politics? Good God. Next thing you know the damn Texans, or at least the representatives of all 25 million of them that post here will start a, shudder, Texas politics thread. Next, George Jung will start a North Dakota politics thread, maybe he should, that would at least put an end to the insomnia threads.

Norman, please come back.

skuthorp
09-03-2009, 06:48 AM
You'd be welcome Milo, there's a bit of a catch up need, 214 pages or so but you'll find a boat or two, a car or three and other odd ebay items such as saws and pumps to break the monotony. Yes, monotony, our Kev is a bit like that, and the others worse!

Here's the latest sample from Duncan to get your teeth into Milo
>
Duncan Gibbs (http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/member.php?u=18230) http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/statusicon/user_online.gif
Wooden boat bug bit me!
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rous River, Northern NSW, Australia
Posts: 4,283


http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Oz Politics
Have a go at Rudd all you like, but ultimately he's the creation of Howard: Without Howard and the manner in which he and his party conducted politics you wouldn't have Rudd. Here's why:

1. Howard and his sycophants jumped so far to the right they gave Rudd the "middle" ground. Actually, via their culture war inspired by similar right wing crap from OS, they shifted the entire political spectrum to the right. So in the event Labor found a leader who could use and manipulate the media as well as Howard, Howard was doomed to electoral oblivion.

2. Howard is the Australian democratic version of Marshall Tito: Once Tito died Yugoslavia was doomed as it didn't have the central and unifying figure that defined what modern Yugoslavia was. Same for the Libgnats: Without Howard, having lead them for so long (too long as a matter of fact - and I use the phrase literally), there is no centre to which everyone can bow down and defer to. To a certain degree the existing Labor hierarchy is like this, although there isn't the length of time to make it a near fatal flaw like it is in the Libgnats, and there is some reasonable talent waiting in the wings. I'd really like to see Tanner get the leadership in the future: He's more of the old school statesman than most in Parliament these days. Ultimately, because there is no unified and strong opposition to Labor, the mistakes and side-stepping is able to happen and the Libgnats will continue to have a snowflake's of getting a decent swing toward them, let alone winning an election.

3. Howard set the rules by which pollies engage the public (via the media). Like the GFC, this isn't necessarily a local phenomenon. Bush and Blair used it with the whole broken record of "War on Terror." But once it's seen to be effective as a way of corralling, neutralising and silencing opposition and dissent it'll get get used again and again, by whichever colour of politics rules the roost... Unless someone who is a true visionary, statesman and pragmatist comes along. Maybe Obama in the US can set the pace in this regard, but I think we need our own version in Australia: Another Curtin. Both Fraser and Keating were perhaps the closest we've been since Curtin, although some may argue that Menzies also has great significance in shaping the country post war.

Strength in diversity is a truism that has never been more evident while this country, whose course in this regard was set by Howard, slides, seemingly inexorably toward a bland sports worshipping, intellectual bashing monoculture, where only the newest, cheapest most disposable and "upgradable" is valued. Call me old fashioned if you will, but we need a strong wind in politics and our country and culture.

Milo Christensen
09-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Skuthorp, are you implying that Duncan is your equivalent of our Norman?

Ian: Farms schmarms, oil smoil, just post pictures of the girls.

skuthorp
09-03-2009, 07:16 AM
"Skuthorp, are you implying that Duncan is your equivalent of our Norman?"

Just letting you know what's in store"
We seem to have a dearth of the right over here, Bigfella struggles on alone and unloved (except at EBS time). He could use some support.

Milo Christensen
09-03-2009, 07:21 AM
. . . struggles on alone and unloved . . .

Well, that's a feeling I recognize and sympathize with, but a real man's gotta do what a real man's gotta do.

oznabrag
09-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Texas politics?

What's that?

Oh and, as to beach babes, I'll take the one that's on my side of the world, thanks! :p

Milo Christensen
09-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Look, you don't have to engage on every point, just start the damn things and then you can do a Pontius Pilate at any point.

Keith Wilson
09-03-2009, 07:28 AM
George Jung will start a North Dakota politics thread . . .South Dakota. Quite different. ;)

skuthorp
09-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Shhh! I'm trying to generate some sympathy here!

brad9798
09-03-2009, 08:14 AM
They sure did, Norman ... if you come back, it is real simple to make sure you are not part of the problem you dislike so! Quit falling into the trap and becoming what you claim to dislike.

Trust me, I used to be a complete contradiction here ... now I at least know when to shut up/back off.

I can remember one thread when you asked for personal experiences on a topic ... I posted a few ... and you and others continued to argue without acknowledgment of my post for which you were asking.

A day or so later (IIRC) I posted some smart a$$ comment about the thread really not being about personal stories/experience ... still not a single acknowledgment from anyone on your thread.

Bottom line is you get caught up in it just like others on your threads ...

Now, why you would let a 100% FAKE place like a forum get under your skin is beyond me ...

I wish you well, sir!!

:)

oznabrag
09-03-2009, 08:33 AM
They sure did, Norman ...(snip)...
Bottom line is you get caught up in it just like others on your threads ...

Now, why you would let a 100% FAKE place like a forum get under your skin is beyond me ...

I wish you well, sir!!

:)

This place is only 87.371% fake. ;)

I wish Norman, all the best, as well!

John of Phoenix
09-03-2009, 08:41 AM
I can remember one thread when you asked for personal experiences on a topic ... I posted a few ... and you and others continued to argue without acknowledgment of my post for which you were asking.

A day or so later (IIRC) I posted some smart a$$ comment about the thread really not being about personal stories/experience ... still not a single acknowledgment from anyone on your thread.I suppose you're waiting for someone to acknowledge that post... ;)

Happens to all of us from time to time. It's nothing personal and btw, I LIKE the new Brad.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-03-2009, 09:22 AM
The "UK Politics" thread died because we all agreed with each other for 90% of the time, and for the remaining 10% we were all too polite to mention it.

On which basis, a "Canadian politics" thread would stand no chance at all. ;)

Yes, come on Norman...:)

oznabrag
09-03-2009, 09:33 AM
The "UK Politics" thread died because we all agreed with each other for 90% of the time, and for the remaining 10% we were all too polite to mention it.

On which basis, a "Canadian politics" thread would stand no chance at all. ;)

Yes, come on Norman...:)


Well, now you've done it! There's coffee all over my monitor, my keyboard...the front of my shirt! Thank God for that keyboard cover...And thank you, Andrew, for a great bit of humor to start my day!

ccmanuals
09-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Norman, I agree with Milo, it's time to come back. I can't speak for others but for me you were one of those folks that made this forum actually interesting. So, yes, my reasons are selfish but admitadly so.

brad9798
09-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Why thank you, John! Really! :)

I like the new Brad, too!

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
09-03-2009, 10:03 PM
You're pretty damn funny when you're trying to be persuasive, Milo.

It's not the liberalism you crave from Normy, it's the intelligent liberalism. I must say I also enjoy intelligent conservative viewpoints, i.e., reasoned arguments. Unfortunately Norm is right about the conversation rapidly deteriorating. Except the recent mystery car thread. By god, that has stayed pretty rational and orderly. So there you go.

Milo Christensen
09-03-2009, 10:12 PM
I was terrified to include the car threads in my litany of mind numbingly boring things to avoid like the H1N1 virus. I really, really hate car threads. Talk about phallic projection.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-04-2009, 01:35 AM
This one's for you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKK0k-bD16A)

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
09-04-2009, 01:59 AM
I was terrified to include the car threads in my litany of mind numbingly boring things to avoid like the H1N1 virus. I really, really hate car threads. Talk about phallic projection.

No cars threads, no guns (except for utilitarian purposes), what kind of conservative are you?! (For that matter, what kind of Michigander?) Next you'll be condemning rare aged steaks, fine cigars, single malt scotches, and tastefully appointed yachts! (OK, perhaps large yachts are phallic projections.) You would be such a disappointment to William F. Buckley. ;)