PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with people in this country now??

rbgarr
09-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Man slaps woman's child repeatedly in store. :mad:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0902091slap1.html?link=rssfeed

Paul Pless
09-03-2009, 06:02 AM
who do you think he logs into the bilge as?

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/0902091slap1.jpg

skuthorp
09-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Grumpy old man or just had enough on a bad day? I usually just feel sorry for the mum, but with some of them they've learnt that it's how to get a treat just to shut up. But I'm no sort of expert, didn't have any of my own.

Tylerdurden
09-03-2009, 06:41 AM
A Cop buddy I talk to regularly says he thinks people are starting to go crazy. Seems he is seeing a lot more violent behavior from the most unlikely folks. The dude looks angry in the photo. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to slap a small child. Several times?
Lucky he didn't get a taste himself.

Milo Christensen
09-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Once again, one person does something and we get a thread titled:

What's wrong with people in this country now??

What people are we talking about, kemo sabe? More better title:

What's wrong with this person??

What's wrong with you that you feel compelled to extend this one man's aberrant behaviour to the entire freakin' country?

botebum
09-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Apparently there are quite a few grumpy old men acting on insane threats towards the helpless these days. Their mugshots always portray a bitterness as well. I don't get it.

Doug

Tylerdurden
09-03-2009, 07:17 AM
People are angry and no not where to direct it. That's the result.
Lot of murder suicides too.

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 07:24 AM
where's our resident Wal Mart bashing gang? Isn't this another problem Wal Mart has brought upon us?

Tom Wilkinson
09-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Plenty of good going on too, but it doesn't get the airplay, does it?

elf
09-03-2009, 07:54 AM
On the other hand, let me tell you a little story.

Lately it's seemed every Sunday evening there's been some sort of "musical" entertainment in the neighborhood. The sound has been encumbered with a pounding beat and quite a quantity of electronic distortion. It's gone on until 10:30 at night.

I have a rule with my immediate neighbors that if they can hear my music, coming out the windows of my studio upstairs, it's too loud, and vice versa if I can hear theirs coming out of their visitors' car windows it's too loud. If they can hear mine I turn it down. I expect the same from them and they agree.

So I generally apply that rule as widely as possible, in order to enjoy the quiet outdoors that it seems mannerly to me to have.

Noone should be forced to listen to my musical choices and in turn I should not be forced to listen to theirs.

So this Sunday night serenading hasn't been very welcome.

Last Sunday I decided to determine where the "music" was coming from, and took a little walk around the neighborhood. I got to the corner, went around it and discovered that the local ice cream shop had a little platform set up with a 3-piece band with full amplification - electric guitars, a keyboard and drum set in an area about 300 square feet at the head of 4 or 5 wooden picnic tables. Three decidedly boomerish guys in T shirts and jeans were whanging their way through the musical repertoire of their long bygone youth, looking like they needed to lose about 80 pounds among them and get some colorful lighting and a light board.

Sigh.

I went into the ice cream shop and asked politely if the volume could be lowered so that I didn't have to hear the music two large country house lots over. The sweet and almost embarassed teenager politely informed me that she doubted she could do that because it was the owner performing. I suggested she pass along my opinion to him when she had a chance, and went back around the corner and home to my studio.

Within 15 minutes the volume was turned down.

Tylerdurden
09-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Sorry, its leadership.

We really have none to speak of. The corruption is so widespread and perverse it is accepted now by most everyone.
We have to turn it around and the only decent idea I have heard of late is to make congress a conscription process of two year stints.
It would eliminate graft and corruption overnight.

I may be wrong but it would be nice to have a open discussion about that.

oznabrag
09-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Sorry, its leadership.

We really have none to speak of. The corruption is so widespread and perverse it is accepted now by most everyone.
We have to turn it around and the only decent idea I have heard of late is to make congress a conscription process of two year stints.
It would eliminate graft and corruption overnight.

I may be wrong but it would be nice to have a open discussion about that.

You're right that there's a dearth of real leadership in this country, but the problem with Congress has less to do with term limits than it does with the lobby. If there were term limits for lobbyists, it might help a lot, but limiting the terms of congressmen only ensures that the lobbyists get fresh meat every two years.

Tylerdurden
09-03-2009, 08:39 AM
You're right that there's a dearth of real leadership in this country, but the problem with Congress has less to do with term limits than it does with the lobby. If there were term limits for lobbyists, it might help a lot, but limiting the terms of congressmen only ensures that the lobbyists get fresh meat every two years.

I am looking at it as we will have a deep cross section of Americans.
I would like to see some lawyer going at it with a carpenter or a Potato farmer on the house floor. The good ol boy crap would quickly cease.

John of Phoenix
09-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Stephens was arrested for felony cruelty to children (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0902091slap3.html) and booked into the Gwinnett County Detention Center, where he is being held without bond. Paige sustained "slight redness to the face," but was otherwise unharmed.
That's a FELONY offense? Held without bond?
It's seriously stupid and absolutely anti-social but wow, a felony?

Paul Pless
09-03-2009, 09:10 AM
That's a FELONY offense?were talking assualting a two year old here...

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 09:12 AM

John...the people of this country are addicted to DRAMA

Tylerdurden
09-03-2009, 09:12 AM
I would call it a Felony, if I saw it I would probably be booked right after him for putting my foot up his arse.;)

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 09:15 AM
the guy has shown very poor judgment...wonder who he has voted for?

Paul Pless
09-03-2009, 09:18 AM
I would call it a Felony, if I saw it I would probably be booked right after him for putting my foot up his arse.;)I'm a pretty nonviolent/nonconfrontational guy; but I was thinking the same thing.

botebum
09-03-2009, 09:18 AM
If it was my child he hit the felony would be all mine.

Doug

Tylerdurden
09-03-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm a pretty nonviolent/nonconfrontational guy; but I was thinking the same thing.

In situations like that, not acting is the worst. I would rather deal with the legal implications then think I let it go on.

oznabrag
09-03-2009, 09:22 AM

We're talking Georgia, here.

In Georgia if you have an argument with your spouse in front of a child, and you use abusive language or scream too loudly, that's misdemeanor cruelty to a child. If your argument escalates to physical violence you may be charged with felony cruelty to a child, along with whatever else they think is appropriate.

I think this law has it's heart in the right place, but it quickly becomes an evil weapon in the hands of a divorce lawyer or an over-zealous (read 'sadistic') law enforcement officer.

As to our friend, Mr. Stephens, he may later come to realize how lucky he truly is that his first stop after Walmart was the jail, rather than the hospital.

Ian McColgin
09-03-2009, 09:24 AM
What's right here is the guy was charged. In the bad old days I can think of lots of places where it would not have been thought a crime.

oznabrag
09-03-2009, 09:24 AM

Doug

Not necessarily. I think you may have a hard time getting booked for flattening that guy out after he struck your child.

Glen Longino
09-03-2009, 09:25 AM

Doug

Ditto!:eek:

Mrleft8
09-03-2009, 09:26 AM
I probably would have slapped the obnoxious mother for letting the obnoxious kid scream it's obnoxious head off. I've noticed that young parents develop a kind of selective deafness, and a casual unawareness of other people around them. There are few sounds more annoying than a caterwalling kid.

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 09:31 AM
I am slow to anger, slow to violence of any kind and easily confused...that said, in that case (were I the parent and not a confused bystander who didn't know the man wasn't part of the family) I wonder if that might have been the exception...I've always been suspicious that I can be sumed up as benign or go for the juglar with no middle ground...I don't know HOW far I would go...but I would protect my child

Keith Wilson
09-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Oh, please. Have you even tried to calm down a 2-year old who's really determined to scream? The mother was probably just trying to buy what she needed and get out of there as quickly as possible.

The guy deserves what Botebum or Tyler would have done to him, but now he's got worse troubles, and deservedly so. Still, generalizing from one really vile SOB to "people in this country" is silly at best.

rbgarr
09-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Once again, one person does something and we get a thread titled:

What's wrong with people in this country now??

What people are we talking about, kemo sabe? More better title:

What's wrong with this person??

What's wrong with you that you feel compelled to extend this one man's aberrant behaviour to the entire freakin' country?

Don't tase me, Bro!!

Here's another example; http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2009/09/healthcare-reform-advocate-punched-by-opponent-at-nelson-event.html

My opinion is that there are noticeably more people with more anger being publicly displayed in this country than previously and people are acting on it rather than thinking first... and somehow feeling justified.

But that must mean something's wrong with me, eh Milo?

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 09:35 AM
I probably would have slapped the obnoxious mother for letting the obnoxious kid scream it's obnoxious head off. I've noticed that young parents develop a kind of selective deafness, and a casual unawareness of other people around them. There are few sounds more annoying than a caterwalling kid.

my own experiments have been to make eye contact with the child (remember I'm a stranger to him/her) and smile and say something like "looks like child abuse to me"...still smiling...it has a positive effect generally

Tylerdurden
09-03-2009, 09:37 AM
I read you link Dave, seems some racism was applied before the fart got knocked down. No one in the article denied it.
In my book, he deserved what he got and it had nothing to do with the debate.

Mrleft8
09-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Oh, please. Have you even tried to calm down a 2-year old who's really determined to scream?

Nope... That, right there, is one of the main reasons why I don't have kids.:D:p

rbgarr
09-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Philip,

If you said that to my child I'd kick your smiling teeth in. Count on it.

But then again you probably only do it to children when they are with their mothers, you coward.

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Philip,

If you said that to my child I'd kick your smiling teeth in. Count on it.

you seem to be outa context...it usually gets a smile out of the parent as well...don't be a reactionary...

rbgarr
09-03-2009, 09:44 AM
What bull, and you're still a coward.

botebum
09-03-2009, 09:46 AM
I think I understand Phillip's context. I've done near the same thing by joking to the parent "quit beating that child". It's always taken in the manner intended which is, "I know what you're going through."

Doug

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 09:46 AM
You're still a coward.

now, what are you basing THAT on?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Oh, please. Have you even tried to calm down a 2-year old who's really determined to scream? The mother was probably just trying to buy what she needed and get out of there as quickly as possible.

Actually, I haven't. I have two sons aged seven and fourteen and neither of them showed the slightest tendency to scream, when two or indeed before or subsequently.

I think the following incident may explain why:

When Alex was four, he was playing on the deck of the boat...we heard a splash, followed by silence, then a subdued

"Sorry, Mummy!"

from the water!

Mrleft8
09-03-2009, 09:49 AM
That may be a bit undeserved Dave... I've met Phillip a couple times. He spent a few days here in June, with his grand daughter... That in itself indicates to me that he's no coward! ;)

rbgarr
09-03-2009, 09:49 AM
If you need it explained to you then you wouldn't be able to grasp it.

Paul Pless
09-03-2009, 09:53 AM
"Sorry, Mummy!"

from the water!> :D

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 09:54 AM
If you need it explained to you then you wouldn't be able to grasp it.

I am sorry to have given offence...that said, it is now your turn to correct yourself :)

Ian McColgin
09-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Good heavens. I agree with Milo. This is about one cranky nasty man, not about "people these days."

Actually what we call street crime - assaults and such - have been trending down for the last ten or so years despite the over-use of incarceration for all that not-really crime stuff like drugs and the actual crime that criminalizing drugs has created.

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 09:57 AM
I think I understand Phillip's context. I've done near the same thing by joking to the parent "quit beating that child". It's always taken in the manner intended which is, "I know what you're going through."

Doug

thank you...it nearly always gets the child to be quiet until I'm oiuta sight...a small break for a tired and harrassed parent...I'm always glad to help

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-03-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm with Philip - not sure I'd have the courage to try it, though!

rbgarr
09-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Most mothers feel bad when their children are unhappy in stores, but they often have to get their shopping done anyway. They shouldn't leave their child alone in the car, but perhaps you think they should.

So when you make your fake smiling comment to a child, whom you do not know, in public, in front of their mother, what do you expect a woman to do? Perhaps she'll smile (just like your smile is a fake one), but how do you know she won't be truly offended or embarrassed and just want to get as far away as she can from you? You don't, and it doesn't sound like you care either by defending your actions.

As I said, if it were me I'd punch you out right there and wipe the stupid smile off your face.

You can deal with your own children and grandchildren like that, but if i were your child I'd be pretty angry about you sticking your nose in my business.

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm with Philip - not sure I'd have the courage to try it, though!

It’s easy...just a big grin and proper body language...and sincerity

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Most mothers feel bad when their children are unhappy in stores, but they often have to get their shopping done anyway. They shouldn't leave their child alone in the car, but perhaps you think they should.

So when you make your fake smiling comment to a child, whom you do not know, in public, in front of their mother, what do you expect a woman to do? Perhaps she'll smile (just like your smile is a fake one), but how do you know she won't be truly offended or embarrassed and just want to get as far away as she can from you? You don't, and it doesn't sound like you care either by defending your actions.

As I said, if it were me I'd punch you out right there and wipe the stupid smile off your face.

You can deal with your own children and grandchildren like that, but if i were your child I'd

too bad...all the parents I've helped out that way are quite understanding because I am understanding...unlike you, they know I'm just trying to help...the action you are threatening toward me would get you removed from contact with your child...for the child's sake...and quick too

I am beginning to understand that you aren't very smart...too bad for your children (sigh)

botebum
09-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Dave, I think you are being a little too quick to villify Phillip and missing the point of the act that he's actually doing which is to distract the child enough to stop the tantrum.

Doug

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Dave, I think you are being a little too quick to villify Phillip and missing the point of the act that he's actually doing which is to distract the child enough to stop the tantrum.

Doug

he's taken a stand he is not brave eunough to give up at this point

rbgarr
09-03-2009, 10:13 AM
More bull. You have no real idea if the parents are understanding, and you can't predict that they will before you do what you do. Treat your own children and grandchildren that way if you must. Somehow you feel free to insult me and my parenting just as you've done to the women you've done it to. Clear proof of cowardice and trying to defend your method of bullying.

Sorry if you don't care to be thought of as a coward and bully but it 's what I'd think of anyone who did what you say you do.

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 10:17 AM
More bull. You have no real idea if the parents are understanding, and you can't predict that they will before you do what you do. Treat your own children and grandchildren that way if you must. Somehow you feel free to insult me and my parenting just as you've done to the women you've done it to. Clear proof of cowardice and trying to defend your method of bullying.

I seem to have given offence again...but I hasten to thank you for your well moderated language so as not to escalate and exacerbate any misunderstood language

Please accept my apology; once again, for not remembering your lingual limitations…I am sorry

John of Phoenix
09-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Please accept my apology; once again, for not remembering your lingual limitations…I am sorry
You call THAT an apology? Bull****!

Tylerdurden
09-03-2009, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't offer an Apology Phillip, most knew what you were getting at. Dave gets wood when he goes off his meds.

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
You call THAT an apology? Bull****!

at this point John...the man has given true offence and threatened me phyically...do you really think I can be coerced so easily?

rbgarr
09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
You claim sincerity, yet you're a stranger talking to a child, using words the child doesn't understand to shame it and the mother. Hardly sincere.

"Lingual imitations", Philip? You say you offer an 'apology' with one hand and give another one with the other hand? Don't you see the laughable irony and inconsistency in that?

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 10:28 AM
You claim sincerity, yet you're a stranger talking to a child, using words the child doesn't understand to shame it and the mother. Hardly sincere.

"Lingual imitations", Philip? You say you offer an 'apology' with one hand and give another one with the other hand? Don't you see the laughable irony and inconsistency in that?

am I still a coward? (I'm trying to be better like you want me to be)

Mrleft8
09-03-2009, 10:29 AM
I might suggest that the exchange between certain forum members on this thread, illustrates very well the point being made in the thread title.

Paul Pless
09-03-2009, 10:30 AM
I might suggest that the exchange between certain forum members on this thread, illustrates very well the point being made in the thread title.
this sure did get weird

rbgarr
09-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Don't tell me you feel physically threatened by someone a thousand miles away? What a tough guy you are!

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 10:31 AM

:) .

Tylerdurden
09-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Valium for everybody!:D

Mrleft8
09-03-2009, 10:32 AM
this sure did get weird

You ought to be digging a latrine hole....Winter's coming sooner in Hell than it does in Weewahtumpkis! ;)

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Don't tell me you feel physically threatened by someone a thousand miles away? What a tough guy you are!

again, your limited understanding of this language is showing...I pointed out that you threatened me...I made no comment on whether I FELT threatened...(get someone you trust to explain that to you before you venture out into this strange world again please)

Shang
09-03-2009, 10:47 AM

Doug

Yep.
If Mr. Roger Stephens had even thought about touching my kid he might not have seen the sun come up the next day.
The fact that Mr. Stephens is a looney isn't an excuse.

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Yep.
If Mr. Roger Stephens had even thought about touching my kid he might not have seen the sun come up the next day.
The fact that Mr. Stephens is a looney isn't an excuse.

I can undetstand that...I suspect I would get rather "forceful" with the guy...but there's always the shock factor... ?

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 10:54 AM
who do you think he logs into the bilge as?

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/0902091slap1.jpg

this is the face I see when (Dave's his name?) threatens me...I just thought you'd like to know...

Milo Christensen
09-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Don't tase me, Bro!! . . .

My opinion is that there are noticeably more people with more anger being publicly displayed in this country than previously and people are acting on it rather than thinking first... and somehow feeling justified.

But that must mean something's wrong with me, eh Milo?

There may be some element to what you've said here. But remember, with the 24 hour cable news cycles and internet news sources available now, nearly every aberrant act commited in this country gets reported.

Remember, there's 304 million of us. Huge numbers of Americans are stressed beyond belief from unemployment and imminent financial ruin.

Others want help, but the lack of effective and/or affordable mental health programs in this country and/or the terrible, lasting stigma of seeking out help for a mental health problem deters them from getting the help they need.

But, maybe there's also something wrong with me. Lately, even though I agree with many of the threads started here decrying some particularly aberrant behaviour, I've become increasingly aware of and bothered by a tendency of particular posters here to tar everyone - in Arizona, or in Kansas, or in Texas, or in Massachusetts, or in this great land of ours with the same tar brush. And I reacted to you from that awareness and irritation with that kind of thinking.

John of Phoenix
09-03-2009, 11:06 AM
I've become increasingly aware of and bothered by a tendency of particular posters here to tar everyone - in Arizona, or in Kansas, or in Texas, or in Massachusetts...
You're just jealous because you don't any have world class crazies to brag about. Stop whining. <razz>

bobbys
09-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Don't tell me you feel physically threatened by someone a thousand miles away? What a tough guy you are!.

You over reacted by calling him a coward, Theres no need for that he was not talking to you directly or casting doubts on your manhood.

He made a effort to say hes sorry.

Why dont you give it up and Man up.

You threw trash his way, He says sorry, Do the right thing.

Ian McColgin
09-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Here's where I'm siding with Milo.

The numbers for assaults show a down-trend. We don't know why. The over-incarceration rates caused by our insane drug policies make the criminal justice systems pretty much dysfunctional. Policing has it's local ups and downs, the science of resourse allocation has improved, and community involvement means a lot but none of that explains the declining rates. Nor do any obvious economic factors once thought to explain crime.

Maybe more people are getting their rocks off via Internet Tourette's. If that's the case, this Forum could be helping.

Whatever the causes, it's also good that people are taking notice and being outraged at these behaviors.

G'luck

Mrleft8
09-03-2009, 11:10 AM
You're just jealous because you don't any have world class crazies to brag about. Stop whining. <razz> Wasn't Ted Kazcinsky a Michigander?

John of Phoenix
09-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Wasn't Ted Kazcinsky a Michigander?Don't know, Michigan is out of my jurisdiction.

I've got my hands full keeping up with Sherrif Joe, McCain/Palin/Kyle, the booing crowds in Sun City, Machinegun Chris, Pastor Anderson and the leftover militants from McVey, to mention just a few.

I almost forgot JD Hayworth. What was I thinking?

Milo Christensen
09-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Wasn't Ted Kazcinsky a Michigander?

No, not really, he just got a PhD in Mathematics in Ann Arbor

High C
09-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Some very strange and violent posts from rbgarr.

What's wrong with the people in Maine now??

bobbys
09-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Some very strange and violent posts from rbgarr.

What's wrong with the people in Maine now??.

I loined one thing, Im never gonna put Wabbit ears on him when we get our photo taken together at our Anger management class reunion!!!!:D

B_B
09-03-2009, 08:46 PM

You can deal with your own children and grandchildren like that, but if i were your child I'd be pretty angry about you sticking your nose in my business.

you sound a lot like the dude in the initial post - angry.

I often have stopped and interacted with kids who were crying, invariably the parents stop and are happy that their kids have an opportunity to focus on something else - a mental break. It's easy to tell when the kid isn't in the mood, its even easier to tell if the parent isn't in the mood - but a quick set of "peekabos", or "where's your booboo" will get most kids to stop their cries - cries which invariably are a result of tiredness or hunger.

I wouldn't use "child abuse" in any sentence in that context, though.

pefjr
09-03-2009, 09:53 PM
What's wrong with you little children. Phillip, you are needed up on the third floor, rbgarr, go to bed, you have kp duty tomorrow morning 4:30 am sharp.

Phillip Allen
09-03-2009, 10:35 PM
What's wrong with you little children. Phillip, you are needed up on the third floor, rbgarr, go to bed, you have kp duty tomorrow morning 4:30 am sharp.

don'tcha just love this place :)

Captain Blight
09-04-2009, 06:41 AM

two things. I kind of side with Mr Allen here; I've been in stores and seen harried moms trying to deal with their sirening crotchfruit. Grinning a little and saying something like "Too bad beatin' on 'em just makes it louder" has never gone too far off the mark.

Second, remember that just because you *think* you occupy the moral high ground doesn't mean you'll win the fight. If somebody took a swing at me for saying the above I will guarantee you that the escalation would continue until somebody was hospitalized. And it wouldn't be me.

Are you serious? You'd take a shot at somebody for daring to suggest your parenting skills aren't up to par, or that Junior might be a bit of a handful?

WOW have you got some issues. Seek hlep, man; and I mean that sincerely.