PDA

View Full Version : Well, work today just sucked

hokiefan
09-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Got to work today and all sorts of rumors were flying around. When the truth settled a bunch of folks had been let go in a head-count reduction. The one that hit home was my boss for the last 4 years. I consider him a good person, technically sharp, ethically straight, etc. Very relaxed person to work with, doesn't stress much, but gets things done. I'm struggling to figure out how letting him go helps the business.:(

I'm glad I'm still employed, but there is certainly a bit of survivors guilt at play. I'm going to call him when I get out of here and offer my thoughts for what its worth. Quite honestly, today just sucked. Fittingly, it rained all day. Maybe tomorrow will be a little brighter.

Bobby

jack grebe
09-02-2009, 04:59 PM
If you think today sucked, Wait till tomorrow
when you have to do his work.....and yours.

I am struggling at work right now with moral issues
with the owners and his first in command.

Every day I wonder if I am going to have a job,
and every morning I wish I didn't.

bobbys
09-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Hang in there guys.

Its been around the oily 80s since i worked for someone.

The worst day of self employment is better then the best day of working for someone..

Sept for trying to collect my money , That sucked

oznabrag
09-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Dang, Bobby! A decent boss and co-workers are often the only things that make work bearable.

Maybe you and your former boss could collaborate on something after the dust settles.

Best of luck, man. You're one of two people on this forum (that I have noted) who never have a hard word for anybody.

bobbys
09-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Dang, Bobby! A decent boss and co-workers are often the only things that make work bearable.

Maybe you and your former boss could collaborate on something after the dust settles.

Best of luck, man. You're one of two people on this forum (that I have noted) who never have a hard word for anybody..

Well i had good jobs but i have never had a real job, One that lasted , I last worked as a Union carpenter and the jobs were from one day to one year.

Most jobs you were just a number, Some were good but i never liked working hard and not getting credit or taking blame for others.

Nothing beats doing ones own thing.

I know thats not always possible and dont knock anyone that work for others.

Thanks for the kind words.

I though i was a wiseguy too often.

Theres no body i dont like

oznabrag
09-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

I though i was a wiseguy too often.

Theres no body i dont like

That's great, bobbys, and you're welcome, but my comment was directed toward none other than our very own Hokie fan. His name is Bobby, too. :D

bobbys
09-02-2009, 05:59 PM
That's great, bobbys, and you're welcome, but my comment was directed toward none other than our very own Hokie fan. His name is Bobby, too. :D.

I taught sumthing wuz wrong!!!:D

oznabrag
09-02-2009, 06:12 PM

I taught sumthing wuz wrong!!!:D

Ain' nothin' wrong, bobbys. Wherezat 2metertroll, anyways?

Uncle Duke
09-02-2009, 06:15 PM
My company has had 2 "downsizing's" in the past year. We're down 30% in terms of employees. There is not a single day when I go to work where I don't wonder if this is my last day.
Getting boring.
Good on you for surviving.

Tylerdurden
09-02-2009, 06:44 PM
I am sorry you guys are suffering, you are far from alone. It seems most everyone I talk to says the same.
I am lucky to be self employed but I am chasing work like never before. Keep plugging though, its about all we can do.

MiddleAgesMan
09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
We went through a third or fourth downsizing exercise back in May. My boss stayed, I went--along with a couple dozen others.

Good to hear you survived the cut, Bobby. If you're caught in the next round maybe you could come over here and help me finish the Simmons. ;)

htom
09-02-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure if it's worse to be down-sized or to be told to down-size others. Both are horrid.

clancy
09-02-2009, 07:38 PM
We have another down sizing coming up in November. They are letting four people go in my office; I'm not one of the four. My company let the four know three months ahead of time so it did not come as a shock to them.

My company has always paid severance pay of one week's pay for each year worked in the event of a lay off. They have changed the policy. Now you have a promise of 2/3 of a week severance for each year worked. If you are a model employee, until the day you are let go. Your supervisor can, at his or her discretion, increase your severance to 100% of your weekly pay.

MiddleAgesMan
09-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Except for lack of notice (which would have been invaluable to me) that's about what I got--a week per year. A friend who was let go from American Express got more than double that. We were eliminated around the same time; my severance ran out in July, hers runs until November. She had 12 years and I had 10.

Fitz
09-02-2009, 08:56 PM
I got the notice in the spring. I have been going through the ups and downs ever since. It is absolutely great to be home with the kids more. I coached baseball and I take them to all their events, something I never felt I had time to do before.

The fear and anxiety associated loss of part of our income is a constant companion though.

I still have a great deal of hatred/animosity for my old company. I was there 18 years. I personally knew one of the founders of the company. The Company is losing its heritage. Something the founder would not be all that keen on, I believe.

When there was a HUGE deadline in the past, I put in more than 80 hours per week to make sure we made that deadline. So now times get tough and I am the one to get the pink slip.

Well, I have been doing a lot of soul searching and thinking about what to do. I am in a particularly hard point in my career - mid career. I have been trying to get a job doing the same thing I did before, but what keeps rising to the top is doing something, on my own, for myself.

My Dad always said, "Work for yourself", and I should have listened way before now.

Fitz.

willmarsh3
09-02-2009, 09:45 PM
We've had more rounds of layoffs than I can count. Usually it is small numbers at a time. It's always a bummer when it happens. Hang in there.

B_B
09-02-2009, 10:32 PM
.... The one that hit home was my boss for the last 4 years. I consider him a good person, technically sharp, ethically straight, etc. Very relaxed person to work with, doesn't stress much, but gets things done. I'm struggling to figure out how letting him go helps the business.:(

has nothing to do with making the business better, usually it has to do with internal politics: good folks who are ethical and good at their jobs are often terrible at internal politics....it's the useless ****s who spend all their time scheming that get ahead in most co.s.

good luck to you, b.t.w.; the recession we hear, is over :confused:

contented
09-03-2009, 08:06 AM
nothing changes. years ago in Boston old man Perini died. he had started out small and became a giant construction conglomerate in the New England area. having clawed his way to the top there wasn't one person that wanted to be a pallbearer for the old man so they called the superintendent of the closest job and had him send over six laborers to do the lugging.

on the way down the church steps the top of the coffin pops open and the old man sits up for one last time and lays off two of the laborers.

Tylerdurden
09-03-2009, 08:09 AM
nothing changes. years ago in Boston old man Perini died. he had started out small and became a giant construction conglomerate in the New England area. having clawed his way to the top there wasn't one person that wanted to be a pallbearer for the old man so they called the superintendent of the closest job and had him send over six laborers to do the lugging.

on the way down the church steps the top of the coffin pops open and the old man sits up for one last time and lays off two of the laborers.

Oh Christ, I heard that one! :D

Uncle Duke
09-03-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm not sure if it's worse to be down-sized or to be told to down-size others
During our last "downsizing" I had to terminate 2 women who worked for me. Both good people who did good jobs - nothing wrong with them.
For one it was her first job as a programmer. 8 months pregnant - she and her husband had waited until she had income and benefits before trying for children.
I felt like I was drowning kittens.

skuthorp
09-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Been there too, but I was over retirement age anyhow. I feel for you all, it's not as bad here so far and we may escape the worst of it yet.
And yes Uncle Duke, laying off people is infinitely worse than getiing the push yourself. It used to screw me up inside till I was sick.

oznabrag
09-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Get ready for a lot more layoffs and call it what it is... YOUR FIRED

If Wacko Bracko's bills pass...(snip)... Big biz will just fire people and close more domestic plants and then IF they think there's still a market for their product it will be made in CHINA where they dont give a flying f...k about polution or any other dam liberal crap being shoved down the publics throat....

Gary, it seems you would be happier in China. If you'd like, we could start a donation drive to get you there!:)

hokiefan
09-03-2009, 10:57 AM
has nothing to do with making the business better, usually it has to do with internal politics: good folks who are ethical and good at their jobs are often terrible at internal politics....it's the useless ****s who spend all their time scheming that get ahead in most co.s.

good luck to you, b.t.w.; the recession we hear, is over :confused:

Braam, you're probably pretty close to target. He didn't intentionally make waves, but he had a broad knowledge of our business from a production point of view. So he was drawn in on many issues and didn't shy away from his opinion when asked. So on occasion, some of the lesser talents got their nose tweaked. What sucks is that he was usually right in my opinion, and now that knowledge is gone.

Ah well, may we all continue to live in interesting times.

Cheers,

Bobby

brad9798
09-03-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure if it's worse to be down-sized or to be told to down-size others. Both are horrid.

This is so true ... :(

And I am sorry for your added stress, Bobby!

mobjack68
09-04-2009, 08:56 AM
HokieFan...

I like the infamous words of the comedian Ron White " When life hands you lemons??....Find a friend with VODKA"

Sorry about your struggle and all of the folks whose lives have been disrupted in this mess. Everyone I work with had their salary frozen this year...probably next year as well. I'm not hurting (money wise) I still have a job....and insurance