PDA

View Full Version : Shaking the geneology tree

Dave Gray
09-01-2009, 10:49 PM
My daughter has always been very interested in family history. This summer she has actively started tracing down the family tree. My mom traced pretty thoroughly on my side of the family - actually have someone who was around in pre-revolutionary times.

So the interest has been on my wife's side. It seems that a branch of the family spent some time in Astoria so we spent a day searching through the Astoria library and the museum.

Whiling away my time I decided to look for Gray and Rogers (my immediate side of the family) in the newspaper index, which consisted of a card catalog going back to 1896 or beyond.

As far as I know no one on my side of the family ever lived in Astoria but I found tidbits like this:

1) Someone named Gray was arrested for white slavery in 1906. He had kidnapped a girl from Stockton, prostituted her in Astoria, was arrested, and was tried and convicted in Roseburg.

2) A Captain Rogers evicted a female tenant in the wee hours in the morning. She had a millinery store. All of her customers were men.

Bill R
09-02-2009, 06:15 AM
SWMBO is a professional genealogist.

It is really amazing what family "secrets" are hiding in plain sight. In her case specifically, to hear the family elders of one of the family lines talk, the family was a pure, ethical, church going, god-fearing pillars of the community. A little research proved that the family was not nearly as they portrayed themselves...

Captain Intrepid
09-02-2009, 03:04 PM
I am related to Samuel Leonard Tilley, one of the Fathers of Confederation and the first Premier of New Brunswick. Also related to the last fellow hanged in New Brunswick. :D

mmd
09-02-2009, 03:15 PM
My great-great-great-great-grandfather on my mother's side came to Nova Scotia after being marooned (not shipwrecked - marooned) on Sable Island in December by his shipmates on a fishing boat out of Boston. He and a fellow maroon survived on berries, hardtack washed onshore from a shipwreck, and Sable Island pony flesh until spring when they were rescued by fishermen from Clark's Harbour NS.

Now how miserable a person must you be to have your shipmates maroon you with no supplies on a sandspit in the middle of the North Atlantic in December?

Shang
09-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I am named after an eccentric uncle who believed that using two L's in a name was redundant, so he spelled Lloyd with one because he either didn't understand that in Welch the double-L indicates a sort of guttural-aspirant sound which is common in a language which flourished beyond the Roman pale, or he didn't care, but the Romans left the British Isles in 410 AD, partly because they were needed at home, the Goths having marched into Rome that August; in part because the Celts they had pushed into the corners of Albion, were pushing back; and perhaps partly out of frustration because the Romans couldn't learn to pronounce correctly the Welch Llanfihangel-nat-Melan, or Llanddeywe; but if you find these easy then you can correctly pronounce Lloyd, or the name Llewelyn; and perhaps you are of Celtic descent, like King Arthur's knight Gwrhyr Gwalastawt Ieithoedd, and like he, you have the gift of tongues, but all of this is awkward to explain to people, so I follow another custom of my eccentric family, and am called by people who want me, by my middle name, which is of Scots origin, and is easier to pronounce; "...Wales... A nation of poets, whose hands fit sword-handles and whisky bottles..." said my great grandmother, when I was small and not thought to be within earshot--another time she said something about the Celts doing their courting in bed, which sounded like a reasonable idea to me since I thought courting had something to do with singing. Probably it does.

jack grebe
09-02-2009, 05:04 PM
A little research proved that the family was not nearly as they portrayed themselves...
I have a feeling there are a few folks in the deep south
that would be quite shocked should the shake the family
tree.

bobbys
09-02-2009, 05:15 PM
My daughter has always been very interested in family history. This summer she has actively started tracing down the family tree. My mom traced pretty thoroughly on my side of the family - actually have someone who was around in pre-revolutionary times.

So the interest has been on my wife's side. It seems that a branch of the family spent some time in Astoria so we spent a day searching through the Astoria library and the museum.

Whiling away my time I decided to look for Gray and Rogers (my immediate side of the family) in the newspaper index, which consisted of a card catalog going back to 1896 or beyond.

As far as I know no one on my side of the family ever lived in Astoria but I found tidbits like this:

1) Someone named Gray was arrested for white slavery in 1906. He had kidnapped a girl from Stockton, prostituted her in Astoria, was arrested, and was tried and convicted in Roseburg.

2) A Captain Rogers evicted a female tenant in the wee hours in the morning. She had a millinery store. All of her customers were men..

They had an exhibit somewhere in Astoria last month.

Astoria the most wicked town in the west.

They had the gambling stuff and a display.

Theres a whole underground street.

bobbys
09-02-2009, 05:17 PM
I am named after an eccentric uncle who believed that using two L's in a name was redundant, so he spelled Lloyd with one because he either didn't understand that in Welch the double-L indicates a sort of guttural-aspirant sound which is common in a language which flourished beyond the Roman pale, or he didn't care, but the Romans left the British Isles in 410 AD, partly because they were needed at home, the Goths having marched into Rome that August; in part because the Celts they had pushed into the corners of Albion, were pushing back; and perhaps partly out of frustration because the Romans couldn't learn to pronounce correctly the Welch Llanfihangel-nat-Melan, or Llanddeywe; but if you find these easy then you can correctly pronounce Lloyd, or the name Llewelyn; and perhaps you are of Celtic descent, like King Arthur's knight Gwrhyr Gwalastawt Ieithoedd, and like he, you have the gift of tongues, but all of this is awkward to explain to people, so I follow another custom of my eccentric family, and am called by people who want me, by my middle name, which is of Scots origin, and is easier to pronounce; "...Wales... A nation of poets, whose hands fit sword-handles and whisky bottles..." said my great grandmother, when I was small and not thought to be within earshot--another time she said something about the Celts doing their courting in bed, which sounded like a reasonable idea to me since I thought courting had something to do with singing. Probably it does..

In Jersey we said.

Loid:D

Big Woody
09-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Shake the genealogy tree and a few nuts are likely to fall out.

I had an ancestor wrongfully hung as a witch in Salem.

I also have some very good royal blood,(an early king Edward I believe) so I would command you all to start bowing to me and refer to me as "your majesty" or "your eminence". :D

katey
09-02-2009, 06:44 PM
I am a direct descendant of Anne Hutchinson, through women only. Huisjen says that this proves that intransigence is encoded in mitochondrial DNA (which is passed intact from mother to daughter).

Shang
09-02-2009, 09:54 PM

In Jersey we said.

Loid

That was in Sunday School wasn't it...?
As in The Loid's Prayer...?

bobbys
09-03-2009, 01:10 AM
That was in Sunday School wasn't it...?
As in The Loid's Prayer...?.

Naw , Thats the LAWD:)