PDA

View Full Version : US Open

pefjr
09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
What a great end of summer event. A world Sport . A test of skill, endurance, stamina, intelligence. Not to mention the hot goils in the short skirts. Federer has little competition. Serena should prevail. Long shot: Soderling.

Glen Longino
09-01-2009, 07:44 PM
I love watching. I think you're right about Federer and Serena, unless they have a bad day.
The girls are all hot and sweaty and screaming.
Can't ask for more than than from a sport!;)

pefjr
09-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Go Melanie!!!!

ccmanuals
09-03-2009, 02:22 PM
What a great end of summer event. A world Sport . A test of skill, endurance, stamina, intelligence. Not to mention the hot goils in the short skirts. Federer has little competition. Serena should prevail. Long shot: Soderling.

Roddick came close at Wimbledon and gave him a good run last year. I wouldn't count him out.

pefjr
09-05-2009, 02:59 PM
I have fallen in love again. Maria Sharapova. OK, she's a little tall for me. But I'll "adjust".

Oh, sorry, day dreaming.

JBreeze
09-05-2009, 04:49 PM
I have fallen in love again. Maria Sharapova. OK, she's a little tall for me. But I'll "adjust".

I hear she's available for the rest of the long weekend. Nice match by the 17 y.o.:)

pefjr
09-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Best ladies match I've seen in years.

JBreeze
09-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Sounds like you follow tennis - was Sharapova hurting, or did the teenager just catch her on a bad day?

PS - I agree that she's a doll:D

pefjr
09-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Except for double faulting too much, Sharapova was playing the best she ever played. Couldn't be any closer, coulda gone either way.

Michael s/v Sannyasin
09-06-2009, 10:09 AM
I've enjoyed watching these young wildcard players go up against the top seeds. A couple of days ago, an 18 year old almost eliminated the woman's #1 in the first round.

Sharapova is gorgeous, but she chokes nearly every match I've seen. They are now calling the 17 year old Oudin, who beat her, "Oudini".

pefjr
09-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Also calling her "The Comeback Kid". After beating 3 top ten players consecutively, I have to say she is "for real".

ishmael
09-09-2009, 07:34 AM
I caught parts of the Oudin Sharapova match. I heard her described as a fire plug.

Gotta love it. She displayed a finesse beyond her years, and a fierce determination. Every point, I'm in it. Good tennis! Play it hard!

24hacker
09-09-2009, 09:04 AM
You go girl - that little Oudin is a pitbull in shorts - Love the way she plays.

Glen Longino
09-09-2009, 09:18 AM
You go girl - that little Oudin is a pitbull in shorts - Love the way she plays.

I'm afraid she's going down today.
But that's what I thought her last three matches.
Tis is why I'm not a gambler. I would have bet against her in those theree matches and todays match. Hope she proves me wrong again!

pefjr
09-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Her opponent today is not as good as the last three, and she has that NY crowd on her side.

JBreeze
09-09-2009, 06:49 PM
If interested, you can watch the match "live" via the computer right now.....go to yahoo sports, and look for the link under US Open on the main page:

http://sports.yahoo.com/

I've got to write a decision about a contactor's delay claim this evening, but will have this going on the PC in the background:)

pefjr
09-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Senena, you owe an apology to the lines person. Women up!!

clancy
09-13-2009, 02:53 PM
When asked if the line judge deserved an apology, Williams said: “An apology for? From me?”

Martin Rogers, Yahoo Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AiFKqCmCmLJOsw8aPtvUDtQ4v7YF?slug=ro-serena091209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

ishmael
09-13-2009, 04:55 PM
I didn't watch the match. My tv/vid system has been dying a slow death, and finally croaked altogether yesterday. But from what I heard, like death threats, Serena was way over the top. I can understand people playing at that level getting a little testy in a big match, and it was a vital point, but there's no excuse for her outburst. That she can't see a need to apologize reflects very poorly on her sportsmanship. The arrogance of celebrity, and you can bet it hasn't made her any friends among line judges and umpires. I imagine close calls are going to be stacked against her for a good long time.

It's too bad, because aside from her temper she's a marvelous, gifted player. Not the most graceful, but lanky, strong, and for her height remarkably quick. But you don't go up to a line judge, even if they have made a questionable call, shake your racket at them and talk about killing them. I don't think even Connors, perhaps the quintessential bad boy of American tennis, ever quite did that.

ishmael
09-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Donn, one of the ladies of that sister duo is what I would call lanky, the other a bit of a chunk. Did I get it wrong? It wouldn't be the first time.

ishmael
09-13-2009, 05:48 PM
I stand corrected. Like I said, I didn't watch it because my tv is down. Either one, chunky or lithe, no reason for bad sportsmanship either way.

pefjr
09-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Expensive racket. It was free until smashing it. I've never heard of that kind of a fine. She apologized also.

Rigadog
09-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Why when I was a lad in the Hamptons, abusing anything but one's own self would keep one out of the club for at least a fortnight.

Glen Longino
09-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Venus is lanky, but Serena looks like Mike Tyson with quadruple D's.
:D
Serena could whup me with one hand tied behind her back.
I ain't proud of it, but it's the danged truth.
Let's face it, these girls are multi-millionaires, not just 2-3 million, but a hundred million.
Who can blame Serena for being peeved when a line judge makes a call that costs her a match and another half a million dollars?

pefjr
09-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Clisters and Wozniacki, a shame one has to lose. Both class acts.

JimD
09-14-2009, 03:43 AM
Men's tennis, anyone? Nadal got massacred. SWMBO is having trouble coping.

pefjr
09-14-2009, 08:42 PM
New blood, a star is born, Juan Martin del Potro
Giant killer

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2009/09/ipt/1252977724.jpg (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=Au3i8gFyIFoQLVamUCcnoiY4v7YF?slug=ap-usopen&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Glen Longino
09-14-2009, 09:01 PM
A milestone in his career.
I was surprised that Federvader didn't whup him, but not disappointed.
I like surprises.
Del Potro made $1.85 million in two weeks, plus a new convertible.
Cheap entertainment for me these past few rainy days.

pefjr
09-14-2009, 09:09 PM
And another 25m in endorsements. Recession wages.

Glen Longino
09-14-2009, 09:22 PM
And another 25m in endorsements. Recession wages.

If I had my life to live over again I'd ask my dad for a guitar, a tennis racket, a set of golf clubs, and a bible at age six.
I'd ask him to beat the hell out of me if he ever saw me without one of those tools in my hands.
I'd either grow up to be a rock star, a tennis player, a golf player, or a TV evangelist, all of them more lucrative than old hippy Texans drawing Social Security.
Call me short-sighted!:rolleyes:

brad9798
09-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Glen- ROTFLMAO!

Very funny!

Glen Longino
09-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Glen- ROTFLMAO!

Very funny!

You know what I'm talking about, don't you, Brad?:D:)