PDA

View Full Version : Megrahi and the Lockerbie case

PeterSibley
09-01-2009, 06:03 PM
I've just been listening to a program on ABC radio about the case .For those interested it makes very interesting listening .

There is an audio download and the transcript is also available .

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/rearvision/stories/2007/2024833.htm

Cuyahoga Chuck
09-01-2009, 06:30 PM
According to BBC the theme seems rather simple.
Scotland with the connivance of the British Government released the Libyan to curry favor with Libya for British oil leases.

PeterSibley
09-01-2009, 07:04 PM
It may be a little more complicated than that , perhaps you could read the link ?

Chip-skiff
09-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Read the transcript. Very hard to sort out, at this distance in time and space, what's what.

Except that the national governments involved (UK, Libya, US) seem to have little if any interest in the truth, as opposed to their political calculations of the moment.

That the event itself caused a great deal of suffering is beyond question.

In politics, as in high finance, duplicity is regarded as a virtue.

-Mikhail Bakunin

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-02-2009, 02:29 AM
I just don't get the spelling.

How about - MacGrahey?

PeterSibley
09-02-2009, 03:04 AM
Read the transcript. Very hard to sort out, at this distance in time and space, what's what.

Except that the national governments involved (UK, Libya, US) seem to have little if any interest in the truth, as opposed to their political calculations of the moment.

That the event itself caused a great deal of suffering is beyond question.

In politics, as in high finance, duplicity is regarded as a virtue.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Pretty well my thinking , the truth of the case or guilt of Megrahi seems unknowable .

Phillip Allen
09-02-2009, 03:09 AM
I get discouraged trying to keep up with such stuff...too many liars

PeterSibley
09-02-2009, 03:32 AM
I posted this because at the time of the last thread on this subject there was so much assurance that Megrahi was guilty ,something I think is open to doubt .The above conversation supported that view .

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-02-2009, 04:57 AM
It certainly was an odd trial, but one has to consider:

1. Libya admitted guilt and paid compensation to the victims.

2. Libya handed Megrahi, who was the head of security for LAA and who had been the head of the Libyan Institute for Strategic Studies, and the station manager of LAA in Malta, over.

3. These events took place before "9/11" and the invasion of Iraq, which caused Qaddafi to dump his nuclear weapons programme and decide to get off the USA's "Axis of Evil".

Would Qaddafi really have "owned up to" something he didn't do? It seems incredibly unlikely, to me. Libya is a terrifying place - dissent against the regime tends to be literally very short lived - and I am sure that Megrahi had no choice in the matter.

As I mentioned before, Malta under Dom Mintoff and the Malta Labour Party had become practically a fiefdom or satrapy of Libya.

PeterSibley
09-02-2009, 05:37 AM
Andrew , there seems to be sufficient "strangeness " in this case to disqualify it as a normal criminal trial .Very high stakes international poker and we have absolutely no idea what machinations went on behind the scenes .UK,USA,Iran and Libya are a nasty mix .

Why Libya would give up Megrahi is beyond me ,unless of course he is guilty, but pawns are sacrificed in these games aren't they ?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-02-2009, 05:43 AM
I agree that the whole business is rather strange.

More than anything, I am revolted by the behaviour of my own country's governments (note the plural - the Scots are just as implicated) over the release.

downthecreek
09-02-2009, 06:51 AM
More than anything, I am revolted by the behaviour of my own country's governments (note the plural - the Scots are just as implicated) over the release.

Now there we do agree.

I heard a reconstruction of the trial (using transcripts) last weekend and it was, indeed, strange. Dr. Koechler's full report is very disturbing indeed, as are many of the other documents on that site.