PDA

View Full Version : a pleasant garden surprise

coelacanth2
08-31-2009, 09:44 PM
the boy and I had sprouted about 2 dozen mixed heirloom tomatos. Between the cold wet spring, a couple of windstorms and the cervine/lagomorph infestation, most seemed to have died, so I overplanted the rows with conventional cherry and beefsteak varieties. Well, the older varieties must be awfully tough - we're getting some interesting stuff - a golden when ripe thing that is built like a Roma, but sweeter, orange when ripe cherry tomatos with a rather intense flavor, and something medium sized that my friend Al (Who is 63 and grew up on a local farm) says is the best thing he's tasted on a sandwich in 40 years. The tomatos are also right where the charcoal experiment was/is. Pumpkins and squash seem happy there, too.

LeeG
08-31-2009, 10:59 PM
congrats

bobbys
08-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Good for you.

I keep trying but so far only got about 8 cherry tomatos.

Not enough sun by me

pipefitter
09-01-2009, 01:14 AM
I tried some brandywine heirlooms and some VFN hybrid no name generic of some sort. The brandywine has to be one of the best tomatoes I have ever eaten, even though I had to baby it through the July heat, the half dozen or so that I got off of the unusually tall (7ft!) vine was worth it.

The VFN , although making many perfect looking tomatoes, were not nearly as good through varying stages of ripeness. The shelf life is unreal with the vfn, because there has been one sitting on my counter that was picked ripe and 5 weeks later is still firm but is not very tasty unless one happens to like a tangy tomato.

Now we are coming up on our 2nd spring season starting about now and I'm not going to bother with anything but the brandywine this time around. Dang things looked like miniature red pumpkins and even the ones I had to cut the sun scald off of were excellent.

coelacanth2
09-01-2009, 11:05 PM
It's just past 1200 am here and an Eggplant parm is in the oven - everything from the garden. Eggplant was supposed to be the regular purple variety, is white instead, tastes the same. Timer just beeped, gotta pull the foil off the dish to let it brown a bit. :D Dinner tomorrow.