PDA

View Full Version : Armor-All is too slick. How do you make it less so?

rbgarr
08-31-2009, 08:09 PM
I used some Tire Foam spray on faded, poly-coated trex-type deck material on our porch to improve the appearance, but now it's too slippery. I think it's a silicone component in the spray. I tried a car wash liquid and then a plain dishwashing detergent. Still slick.

I may try clothes washing detergent with bleach tomorrow unless anyone else has suggestions (?) Simple Green, perhaps?

Thx-

(The deck mat'l mfrs site is no help.)

pcford
08-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Car painters hate that stuff because it makes it impossible for paint to stick. They use a product called Ping to counteract it.

Canoez
09-01-2009, 07:23 AM
I don't know about Pat or Larry's suggestions, but I would test on a small spot that's inconspicuous. I think you might melt the plastic component in your Trex-like decking leaving it permanently slippery.

I saw a recommendation for Simple Green and a scrub brush.

Mrleft8
09-01-2009, 09:26 AM
The obvious answer is to glue 36 grit sandpaper to the soles of your feet.....:D

rbgarr
09-01-2009, 10:24 AM
FWIW, Fantastick works great! It takes the slickness off but leaves the deeper, more even color. We'll see how it lasts!

Jim Bow
09-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Back in the day, a lesser man than me used Armor All on the back half of his motorcycle seat. He could then toggle the brake lever to slide his girlfriend ever so close.
He had to be careful on acceleration, however.

Captain Blight
09-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I've found Dawn Concentrated Dishwashing Detergent in the green-apple scent to be the closest thing to a universal solvent I could possibly find in the supermarket. It will take WD-40 off old paint, and that's sayin' something.

peter radclyffe
09-02-2009, 12:16 AM
antisilicon, or maybe astroturf