PDA

View Full Version : Canoe Bulkheads

essaunders
01-08-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm getting ready to build up bulkheads for my wee lassie II. I've got the strip remainders all set out for both a forward and aft bulkhead (shown with the already built decks):
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid153/p202adbe109a1317da0dbf86d52565e58/f58ddfd5.jpg

Now, Mac McCarthy says to make the bulkheads out of foam and then glue strips to that. I have both glass an epoxy remaining and I was thinking about just using strips and the glass/epoxy rather than any thicker material. Any reason that shouldn't work?

I figure I'll glue the strips together (wood glue, just like the hull) then but the shape, then glass. Once the bulkhead is encapsulated I'll epoxy it into the hull.

Erik

MJC
01-09-2005, 07:09 AM
I never could figure out why he added foam, so I didn't do it. Made bulkheads like you're planning to do, but never installed them. For the kinds of quiet water I paddle, I don't feel the need for them.

Tom Robb
01-09-2005, 07:18 PM
The compound curved hull is likely plenty strong enough for its purpose, perhaps the flat panels of the end tanks are more prone to damage and the foam core would stiffen them.
Personally I find the stripped bulkheads way too "busy" visually. 4mm ply would be less so.
I like the idea of floatation tanks. Don't ask why :rolleyes:

essaunders
01-10-2005, 07:54 AM
Well, first panel glued up ok. I still haven't settled on exactly how these things are going to fit in. Even when I decide where, I still get try to match the hull shape ---

I am thinking about doubling up the thickness right behind the inspection port I am planning to add. That'll either be just a ring (to fit under the flange) or be a bit bigger, perhaps spanning out to the edge of the hull.

FG
01-11-2005, 07:33 AM
I've read some concerns over sealed bulkheads being damaged by air pressure changes. Something to check out. I think you need to let them breath.

essaunders
01-11-2005, 10:03 AM
My bulkheads are going to have 4" inspection ports which I plan to leave open during storage. I believe that will take care of atmospheric changes. I suspect I'd open them frequently enough during paddling to release any temperature induced pressure differential ( I plan (maybe) to use the bow and stern as dry storage.

Tom Robb
01-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Perhaps a tiny (1/16?) hole top center would equalize pressure with little danger of flooding. Inspection ports to be opened for storage seem like a very good idea.
Aig bags work well and look trick.