PDA

View Full Version : Biscayne Bay 14

viso
02-21-2002, 03:33 PM
I'm new at this so....The plans call for a 14 piece of white oak for the keel. I understand the reason for using green wood (it has to be steam bent). Is there any way around this? Can I use kiln dried since the deflection is not that great? A local builder suggested laminating the keel in three or four plys with kiln dried white oak. Is yellow pine a suitable alternative for this keel piece?

Dubb
02-21-2002, 04:28 PM
I'm no expert having built one boat thus far. However, in my experience, especially on a first boat, use the materials called for. I had a little experience with a wood I substituted for green white oak. It wasn't pretty.

Dale Harvey
02-21-2002, 11:27 PM
Good news! You can take a short drive over to Goodwin Heart Pine Lumber, www.heartpine.com (http://www.heartpine.com) and pick up a nice piece of tight grain old growth Southern yellow pine that will do the job nicely. While you are there get enough to replace ALL the white oak, as our Florida climate does not like that stuff. Only Goodwin is likely to have the high density old growth that makes good boat timber, unless you want to drive to North Florida or Georgia. The bad news, is that you will have to pay about the same price as you would for Teak, if such Teak were even available here.

Dan Nielsen
02-22-2002, 01:13 PM
My first attempt at the wood keel on a Haven 12-1/2 footer was with an expensive piece of kiln dried white oak. The keel bend on the is boat was reportily easy, but I found it difficult with the kiln dried white oak (1-3/8" thick). It also sprang back a great deal as well. Worst of all, it checked badly. The steaming process really seemed to dry it out although that initially seems a little counter-intuative (sp?).

Success was achieved with an air dried piece air dried oak which I acquired for 1/4 the cost of the kiln dried oak. It bent easier, held its shape and did not check.