PDA

View Full Version : A good day - even if we forgot a few things

hokiefan
08-31-2009, 10:31 AM
My son and I spent the day yesterday canoeing on the Ogeechee River. The big sister was hoping to come, but bailed at the last minute due to some other obligations that she and her Mom couldn't figure out a better way to get done. Oh well, off we went, two guys in the wilderness!!! There's a family that runs a canoe rental place at Morgan's Bridge, where Hwy 204 crosses the Ogeechee, we rented a standard plastic canoe there and they shuttled us with that one and the kid's Cheap Canoe up to a dropoff they have about 6 miles upriver. Riding up with the canoes in tow, we remembered we forgot the camera. Sorry folks, no pictures of the river. Too bad too, it was quite a beautiful day, and very few people, especially the first 4-5 miles.

We spent the rest of the morning and the early afternoon slowly working down the river. We stopped at bunch of different spots to fish. Caught a bunch of small bream, nothing big enough to keep, but quite fun. About an hour into the trip, we realized the other thing we forgot, the sunscreen. Long pants were no fun this morning, but we'll survive. By the end of the trip, we were hot, tired, and sore; but happy. The kid's thumbs start to blister a little, so I put him in the front of my canoe and towed his. I can still feel that in my shoulders, getting old sucks! After towing him for a little while, he decided he wanted to finish in his boat so I cut him loose. While we were both glad to see the landing, he had a big smile on his face that he had done it in his boat.

Yesterday was his first extended time in his boat, by the end he had a real good handle on making it go where he wanted it to. I wouldn't call him elegant at this point, but he was definitely in control. Fun to watch. On the ride home he almost fell asleep. When he sat up, he looked over and said, "Thanks for taking me. We need to do this again soon."

Was a really great day.

Cheers,

Bobby

Uncle Duke
08-31-2009, 10:44 AM
That sounds like a very excellent day!

How old is your son? How big is "his" canoe?

botebum
08-31-2009, 10:50 AM
Awesome Bobby! Next time, remember the camera. If not for us, for yourselves.

Doug

pefjr
08-31-2009, 10:56 AM
That's the kind of days your son will remember. Your story reminds me of good days spent with family on the Econfina, Suwanee, Wakulla rivers of north Florida. My kids are grown now, but talk of those days often.

rbgarr
08-31-2009, 11:02 AM
I remember that canoe rental place. Sounds like a good arrangement all around!

hokiefan
08-31-2009, 11:16 AM
That sounds like a very excellent day!

How old is your son? How big is "his" canoe?

The kid is 13. His canoe is 13'5" x 30" quite a nice size for a single person, double paddle canoe. We built it last year, and splashed it on New Years Day this year. There's a thread about it here http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76779

Its been alot of fun, and yes; it was a most excellent day.:)

Cheers,

Bobby

botebum
08-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Shamelessly stolen from the launch day portion of your build thread-
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii82/hokiefan334/splash%20day/2008185.jpg
Just so we know what we're talking about here;)

Doug

rbgarr
08-31-2009, 11:35 AM
There's a Culler Butternut dp canoe going up for auction this weekend. I may bid for it for Margaret to use. I'd be too big.

http://i27.tinypic.com/2r40wv6.jpg

hokiefan
08-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks Doug.

I saw that smile yesterday, although I had to get close to see it. You see, I sent my glasses swimming somewhere in there. Tried to catch one of those famous tree-fish. When I convinced the huge tree-fish to let go of my hook, it spit it out right at me. So I spun away, and the glasses flew off my sweaty face. Oops... splunk! They were old and worn out, but that wasn't the way I intended to have to replace them. The big sister has been after me to get a new pair for over a year now, she said they looked HORRIBLE. And you know 17 year old girls know everything.:D

So last night, I dug out a really ancient pair so I could see to drive to work today. Would you believe she thought they looked infinitely better? Why would I leave them in hiding and wear those old hideous glassess? Why, why, why????

Then she asked the kid if I muttered any "blue" words after the glasses went swimming. He said all he heard was, "Crap!" Which incidentally was all I said, but its nice to know he has my back, at least for this week.

Was still a fantastic day, even with the ribbing I had to take.:)

Ooh Dave, thats a sweet little canoe.

Cheers,

Bobby

Fitz
08-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Okay, now that you both have your feet wet, time to move up to wood and canvas.

I am decidedly biased.....:rolleyes:

pefjr
08-31-2009, 08:25 PM
http://images.suite101.com/910027_com_3604842869.jpgEconfina River, NW Fla.

BrianW
08-31-2009, 11:45 PM
Good on ya for spending such quality time with your son.

hokiefan
09-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Okay, now that you both have your feet wet, time to move up to wood and canvas.

I am decidedly biased.....:rolleyes:

At the moment I'm enamored with something like that Butternut Dave posted. But there's also not much time to build anything right now anyway. Wood and canvas would be quite nice for a traditional canoe however.

http://images.suite101.com/910027_com_3604842869.jpgEconfina River, NW Fla.

Damn Bud, you had a river like this in the neighborhood and you moved.:eek: To a fast place like Las Vegas. Rocks in the head man!

Good on ya for spending such quality time with your son.

I hope he remembers it as quality time. I was thrilled that one of them rescued me from yardwork.:D

Cheers,

Bobby

pefjr
09-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Hokie, NW Fl. has many rivers like this with springs along side. And you are not far away. I recommend a 3day or longer summer trip for your family to Wakulla Springs, just south of Tallahassee. Wakulla is a wilderness untouched by modern man. Dupont has owned the area since ??? and has protected it from development.

I guarantee your kids will never forget Wakulla Springs.

The Ichetucknee is another one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiuJg1uXfio

Fitz
09-01-2009, 07:24 PM
At the moment I'm enamored with something like that Butternut Dave posted. But there's also not much time to build anything right now anyway. Wood and canvas would be quite nice for a traditional canoe however.

That's okay, I'm teasing you. My son apparently wants to give up his paddle and build a stinkpot hydroplane......:rolleyes:

Could be fun if we keep it under his mother's radar....:eek: