PDA

View Full Version : Exploiting Ted Kennedy

Robmill0605
08-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Rush Limbaugh on exploiting Ted Kennedy

RUSH: I want to close here by repeating part of my eulogy that I gave in the first hour to Ted Kennedy. The left is going to exploit him, they’re going to exploit his death, they’re going to exploit his legacy to push health care through. But the greatest tribute would be that every American, every man, every woman and child would get the same health care options that Ted Kennedy got. Tedcare for all, forever. Will there be a single liberal to come forward and embrace Senator Kennedy’s example of seeking and securing the best medical care available? Ted Kennedy, lion of the Senate, the United States government was never a partner in his death. Obama, remember, said that we are God’s partners in matters of life and death to the rabbis. Ted Kennedy never invited any bureaucrats into the decision-making process.
There are lessons to be learned in life and death. Senator Kennedy’s last days and his death are a powerful manifestation of the survival instinct, of the will, the spirit to live. God bestowed on each of us the miracle of life. It’s a gift that is personal, and it is priceless. The suggestion that a partnership between government and God in life and death is vulgar, it’s a debasement of life. It’s un-American. Ted Kennedy’s passing is a powerful reminder of the respect and dignity of the intensely personal will to live we all possess. The state was excluded from that part of Ted Kennedy’s life speaks well of the country and government that Ted Kennedy was elected to serve, and to put his name on a health care bill to try to ramrod a health care bill through in his name, in his honor, that does not honor the will to live, is hypocrisy and insulting. To pass and ramrod a health care bill in his name that would deprive people, by its existence, by virtue of law, that would deprive people of the health care he got, that’s the most insulting thing the left could do, and they’re not even aware of it. http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/spc.gif

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-27-2009, 12:29 PM
There is only one thing worse than Rush Limbaugh..... a person who believes anything he says.

JimD
08-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I see Limbaugh has wasted no time exploiting Ted Kennedy.

Captain Intrepid
08-27-2009, 12:36 PM

You accidently typed the word "on" in there, just thought you might want to fix your mistake.

Bruce Hooke
08-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Rush's statement does not even make any sense. I expect it sounded nice (to some) as a verbal rant, but written down it is clear that it is just gibberish.

John of Phoenix
08-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Rush's statement does not even make any sense. I expect it sounded nice (to some) as a verbal rant, but written down it is clear that it is just gibberish.Drugs. The voice of the republican party is a fog brained drug addict.

And they love him.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Yeah, well we all know how more informed you are than Ted Kennedy or Pelosi or Byrd. ROTFLMAO

bwd
08-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Rush is often pretty noxious, but you have to admit he nails the issue.

You don't get even a full diagnosis of things that bad in socialized medicine, much less $100,000's in care that won't even give you another year. You get, "Sorry, it's inoperable," and a handful of prescriptions.

Unless you are an oligarch sitting on a gangster fortune, that is...

More to the point, when I saw the thread I thought
you guys would be wanting to get your hands on his old tub
rather than dwelling on landlubbers' exploitations, pro or con!

Robmill0605
08-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Rush is right on the money. It is no surprise to me that the liberals here put on blinders to the fact that Nancy Pelosi and others are exploiting his death to try to revive heath care reform that has completely gotten away from them.
Obamas Waterloo indeed. Just look at the polls.
He is losing this fight.
Liberals will do anything to ramrod this turkey down the throats of an American public who overwhelmingly do not want it, even if it means propping up Ted Kennedy' ghost to try to resuscitate it.

Bruce Hooke
08-27-2009, 04:39 PM
OK, I just want to go no the record as saying that the idea that "socialized medicine" would somehow mean that all you would get in the case of a terminal disease like brain cancer is some pills and a "sorry, it's inoperable," is utter balderdash (assuming there is actually something more that can be done) and the fact that it is balderdash has been demonstrated over and over again in the countries with socialized medicine!

My understanding is that in the well-off countries with "socialized medicine" one of the common replies when someone complains about some aspect of the medical system in their country is something along the lines of "just remember, we could have it much worse, we could have the system the US has." It is kind of telling, don't you think, the everyone with socialized medicine seems to think that just about anything would be better than what we have in the US?!

ccmanuals
08-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Rush is right on the money. It is no surprise to me that the liberals here put on blinders to the fact that Nancy Pelosi and others are exploiting his death to try to revive heath care reform that has completely gotten away from them.
Obamas Waterloo indeed. Just look at the polls.
He is losing this fight.
Liberals will do anything to ramrod this turkey down the throats of an American public who overwhelmingly do not want it, even if it means propping up Ted Kennedy' ghost to try to resuscitate it.

You might like dubbya used 9/11 to further his criminal policies and actions?

JimD
08-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Of course the Dems are going to milk it. Why wouldn't they? Who is surprised by this? Just more politics as usual. Probably won't get them very far, though. Nothing to see here. Only Limbaugh and a few forumites think its worth foaming at the mouth over.

bwd
08-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Seriously you guys, it's a nice boat.

jack grebe
08-28-2009, 06:00 AM
So I guess it official now........Ted got away with murder:(

mmd
08-28-2009, 06:41 AM
No, he didn't. A murder requires criminal intent. At best, Ted got away with vehicular homicide. As there is no statute of limitations on the charge (AFAIK), so if anyone had really thought that there was a chance that the charge would have stuck, he would have been charged decades ago. Get out of that forty-year-old rut and move into this century. Find something else to whine about. Sheesh!

mmd
08-28-2009, 06:58 AM
Glad to oblige...

Robmill0605
08-28-2009, 07:15 AM
[quote=ccmanuals;2302073]You might like dubbya used 9/11 to further his criminal policies and actions?[/quote

]but but but but but but.......

well, what about Bush!!!!!

mmd
08-28-2009, 07:33 AM
We know, Several like you.

Dang! And all this time I thought that I was unique...

Tom Montgomery
08-28-2009, 08:08 AM
One world, not three.

BrianW
08-28-2009, 08:28 AM
you might like dubbya used 9/11 to further his criminal policies and actions?

ywwab

BrianW
08-28-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm no Rush fan, that's Normans department, but I think he got this one right.

JimD
08-28-2009, 08:34 AM
So I guess it official now........Ted got away with murder:(

She wasn't a child. She wasn't forced into the car. She freely took a ride with a drunk and there was an accident. Kennedy behaved cowardly at the time but its not as though he held her head under water with his bare hands. It was still an accident.

JimD
08-28-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm no Rush fan, that's Normans department, but I think he got this one right.

Limbaugh just hates the idea that a twist of fate could bolster a Dem agenda. He hates anything that could do that. He hates over half of America's voters. He pretty much hates democracy in general. He's just that sweet kinda guy.

JimD
08-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Dang! And all this time I thought that I was unique...

You are. Nobody else wears a cap like that.

George Roberts
08-28-2009, 08:46 AM
This thread seems to be exploiting Mr. Kennedy's death.

OK, I just want to go on the record as saying that the idea that "socialized medicine" would somehow mean that all you would get in the case of a terminal disease like brain cancer is some pills and a "sorry, it's inoperable," is utter balderdash (assuming there is actually something more that can be done) and the fact that it is balderdash has been demonstrated over and over again in the countries with socialized medicine!

A comment from a the New York Times on Mr. Kennedy's death:

“We are all in favor of eliminating waste,” said Mark Pauly, a professor of health care management at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. “But when it’s your life that’s on the line, you tend to behave quite differently.”

“The economist in me says, If you want to save money, this is probably a good place to take it from,” Dr. Pauly said. “The human being in me says, I don’t want to do it.”

That is the problem in a nutshell. Either the government in some form determines the value of care or the country goes bankrupt.

mmd
08-28-2009, 09:06 AM
"Nobody else wears a cap like that." - JimD

<singing (badly)> ...I gotta be me.. I gotta be me!

Actually, it's a bit of a homage to all those Lunenburg County men who designed, built, and went to sea on salt-bank schooners. My grandfather wore a hat like that, as did Great-Uncle Capt. Cranswick Conrad, Capt. Ben Pine and Capt. Angus Walters. Not sure if Mr. Roué wore one, but most of the crew that built the Bluenose did.

Cap'n Angus
http://www.bluenose2.ns.ca/Images/angus.jpg

Capt. Ben Pine:
http://www.essexshipbuildingmuseum.org/Exhibits/images/SmallPics/09BenPine.jpg

Crew of the Bluenose in 1923:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/bluenose/images/112109.jpg

(I know, I know... I gotta update my wardrobe...)

JimD
08-28-2009, 09:10 AM
<singing (badly)> ...I gotta be me.. I gotta be me!

Actually, it's a bit of a homage to all those Lunenburg County men who designed, built, and went to sea on salt-bank schooners. My grandfather wore a hat like that, as did Great-Uncle Capt. Cranswick Conrad, Capt. Ben Pine and Capt. Angus Walters. Not sure if Mr. Roué wore one, but most of the crew that built the Bluenose did.

Cap'n Angus
http://www.bluenose2.ns.ca/Images/angus.jpg

Capt. Ben Pine:
http://www.essexshipbuildingmuseum.org/Exhibits/images/SmallPics/09BenPine.jpg

Crew of the Bluenose in 1923:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/bluenose/images/112109.jpg

(I know, I know... I gotta update my wardrobe...)

I knew that. (My grampa wore one, too. Although he was a mere carpenter)

High C
08-28-2009, 10:43 AM
....a twist of fate could bolster a Dem agenda....

Bolster the Dem agenda? By associating the health care bill with Ted Kennedy? LMAO! :D Let's just say that that would be a grave miscalculation on the part of a handful of insular Washingtonians who have little idea what their constituents think of old Teddy.

Hot Air
08-28-2009, 11:47 AM
[/URL] And now this gem from the Huffington Post....
[URL="http://www.woodenboat.com/melissa-lafsky"]Melissa Lafsky (http://www.woodenboat.com/melissa-lafsky)

The Footnote Speaks: What Would Mary Jo Kopechne Have Thought of Ted's Career? (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/melissa-lafsky/the-footnote-speaks-what_b_270298.html)

"....We don't know how much Kennedy was affected by her death, or what she'd have thought about arguably being a catalyst for the most successful Senate career in history. What we don't know, as always, could fill a Metrodome.
Still, ignorance doesn't preclude a right to wonder. So it doesn't automatically make someone (aka, me) a Limbaugh-loving, aerial-wolf-hunting NRA troll (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/detail?blogid=95&entry_id=46306) for asking what Mary Jo Kopechne would have had to say about Ted's death, and what she'd have thought of the life and career that are being (rightfully) heralded.
Who knows -- maybe she'd feel it was worth it.

Hey, if Mary Jo is postumously pleased with being sacrificed for the greater good of Ted's political ambitions, then I'm okay with it too. Very sporting of her. A liberal lioness in her own right.

High C
08-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Interesting. I've never heard anyone suggest that Chappaquiddick was helpful to Kennedy's political career. :rolleyes: Either she's completely bananas, or it says something perverse about those who kept putting him back into office.

jack grebe
08-28-2009, 04:36 PM
No, he didn't. A murder requires criminal intent. At best, Ted got away with vehicular homicide.
If that were to happen to a poor man today, it would NOT be
vehicular homicide.

He drove drunk.......he didn't accidentlly start the car, he
didn't accidently put it in gear. he was drunk behind the wheel..
and intended, and did drive it.
that is criminal, people go to jail for that.

But Daddy was the equivilant of a drug smuggler today, with
money and connections, and all was swept under the carpet.

Don't expect me to hail the "career" of someone who should
have spent time making little rocks out of bigger ones.

High C
08-28-2009, 04:46 PM
If that were to happen to a poor man today, it would NOT be
vehicular homicide.

He drove drunk.......he didn't accidentlly start the car, he
didn't accidently put it in gear. he was drunk behind the wheel..
and intended, and did drive it.
that is criminal, people go to jail for that....

Furthermore, his decision to leave her in the car and not go for help was a very direct form of intent. He intended for her to die. He made that decision, and lived with it for the several hours that passed during which time he could have seen to it that she was saved.

Robmill0605
08-28-2009, 04:58 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h147/BrickmanP/uss-ted-kennedy.jpg

Big Woody
08-28-2009, 08:23 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h147/BrickmanP/uss-ted-kennedy.jpg
Now that is funny! :D

BarnacleGrim
08-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Aren't the Limbaughites supposed to rejoice over Kennedy's death? One less vote for healthcare reform?

jack grebe
08-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Now that is funny! :DSo making fun of a womans death at the hands of another is funny?

Paul Girouard
08-30-2009, 10:22 AM
I heard one of the grand-kids speaking at his memorial the kids said something to the effect of " Uncle Teddy told us , We can do any thing we want!" which made me think , Ya thats right , kill people , rape women , drive drunk , etc etc , all thinks Kennedy clan folks can do and "get away with" that normal people can't.

The Senate is a better place today without a Ted Kennedy holding a seat.

YMMV.

Nice shot of Enterprise firing a no load, fitting photo. But I don't think Teddy will get a carrier named after him , we're stuck on Presidents , not Senator's names.

Robmill0605
08-30-2009, 11:47 AM
So making fun of a womans death at the hands of another is funny?

Well, Ted Kennedy liked to joke about it. So before you lecture anyone watch this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX0gtTrnnWs

Robmill0605
08-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Aren't the Limbaughites supposed to rejoice over Kennedy's death? One less vote for healthcare reform?

No one I heard is rejoicing.
What is a fact is that Ted asked to change the law on appointing a replacement in MA which HE had changed to prevent Mit Rommey from appointing a conservative when he was gov.
The Gov. of MA will change it so that he can appoint a democrat to try to preserve 60 votes for health care.
Hypocrites.

jack grebe
08-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Well, Ted Kennedy liked to joke about it.
I don't hold him in high esteem either.

ljb5
08-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Well, Ted Kennedy liked to joke about it. So before you lecture anyone watch this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX0gtTrnnWs

According to some dude on Youtube?

Oh, come on! You've got to have a better source than that. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ljb5
08-30-2009, 01:40 PM
What is a fact is that Ted asked to change the law on appointing a replacement in MA which HE had changed to prevent Mit Rommey from appointing a conservative when he was gov.
The Gov. of MA will change it so that he can appoint a democrat to try to preserve 60 votes for health care.
Hypocrites.

Not exactly. I'm going to explain this very carefully. See if you can pay attention.

Before 2004, the law allowed the Governor to appoint a senator for a term of up to two years. (Until the next biennial election.) In 2004, the law was changed to let the seat remain vacant until a special election (145-160 days). In 2009, Kennedy proposed allowing the Governor to appoint an interim senator for 145-160 days, on the condition that they do not seek the position permanently and that they leave office after the special election.

This article should explain it to you. (http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2004/07/31/romney_veto_overridden/)

Please note: all these laws are set by the state legislature. Kennedy was not in the state legislature.

Robmill0605
08-30-2009, 02:08 PM
According to some dude on Youtube?

Oh, come on! You've got to have a better source than that. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

During a discussion on “The Diane Rehm Show” on National Public Radio, Edward Klein – a friend of Ted’s – reminisced about Kennedy. The former editor-in-chief of The New York Times Magazine and former foreign editor of Newsweek stated:

[Laughter] I don't know if you know this or not, but one of his favorite topics of humor was indeed Chappaquiddick itself. And he would ask people, ‘Have you heard any new jokes about Chappaquiddick (http://www.examiner.com/x-3108-Baltimore-Republican-Examiner~y2009m7d18-Remembering-Ted-Kennedys-drive-on-Chappaquiddick-40-years-ago-today)?’ I mean that is just the most amazing thing. It's not that he didn't feel remorse about the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, but that he still always saw the other side of everything and the ridiculous side of things, too.

Captain Blight
08-30-2009, 04:31 PM

RUSH: I want to close here by repeating part of my eulogy that I gave in the first hour to Ted Kennedy. The left is going to exploit him, they’re going to exploit his death, they’re going to exploit his legacy to push health care through. But the greatest tribute would be that every American, every man, every woman and child would get the same health care options that Ted Kennedy got. Tedcare for all, forever. Will there be a single liberal to come forward and embrace Senator Kennedy’s example of seeking and securing the best medical care available? Ted Kennedy, lion of the Senate, the United States government was never a partner in his death. Obama, remember, said that we are God’s partners in matters of life and death to the rabbis. Ted Kennedy never invited any bureaucrats into the decision-making process.
There are lessons to be learned in life and death. Senator Kennedy’s last days and his death are a powerful manifestation of the survival instinct, of the will, the spirit to live. God bestowed on each of us the miracle of life. It’s a gift that is personal, and it is priceless. The suggestion that a partnership between government and God in life and death is vulgar, it’s a debasement of life. It’s un-American. Ted Kennedy’s passing is a powerful reminder of the respect and dignity of the intensely personal will to live we all possess. The state was excluded from that part of Ted Kennedy’s life speaks well of the country and government that Ted Kennedy was elected to serve, and to put his name on a health care bill to try to ramrod a health care bill through in his name, in his honor, that does not honor the will to live, is hypocrisy and insulting. To pass and ramrod a health care bill in his name that would deprive people, by its existence, by virtue of law, that would deprive people of the health care he got, that’s the most insulting thing the left could do, and they’re not even aware of it. http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/spc.gifWow. The guy would not be able to pass an ESL class with sentence structure like that. Fat, stoned, and on the air; what a combination.

I guess I resent the implication that because Kennedy was a Democrat, and Obama's a Democrat too, and the health care initiative is a Democrat's baby, that it's somehow hypocritical to seek vigorous treatment for brain cancer. I mean, come ON. It's brain cancer, guys. Lesions and tumors ("Toomahs") on the actual brain. Ick. Who wouldn't want to fight that with everything they had?

AND: Maybe one of you really smart guys could find out how much of Mr Kennedy's treatment was paid for out of his own pocket. Shouldn't be all that hard, right? If he was paying anything more than whatever his standard deductible was, then there's gonna be some crow served, I think. Mr Kennedy's basic health coverage, by the bye, is available to all members of Congress; event he Republican members. Wanna bet that some avail themselves of the opportunity? Does that make them hypocritical or complicit?

YWWAB? Actually, I think that's a valid question, in context. I really do. What about Mr Cheney? Did he receive treatment for his chronic poor health at taxpayer expense? Or has he footed the bill all by himself all along? I honestly don't know, so any answer would be more than I currently have.

C'mon. I'm all for vigorous debate, but SHEEESH guys, do try to be a little even-handed and acknowledge that The Other Side isn't populated with craven idiots and slavering baby-eaters.

Captain Blight
08-30-2009, 04:34 PM
During a discussion on “The Diane Rehm Show” on National Public Radio, Edward Klein – a friend of Ted’s – reminisced about Kennedy. The former editor-in-chief of The New York Times Magazine and former foreign editor of Newsweek stated:

[Laughter] I don't know if you know this or not, but one of his favorite topics of humor was indeed Chappaquiddick itself. And he would ask people, ‘Have you heard any new jokes about Chappaquiddick (http://www.examiner.com/x-3108-Baltimore-Republican-Examiner~y2009m7d18-Remembering-Ted-Kennedys-drive-on-Chappaquiddick-40-years-ago-today)?’ I mean that is just the most amazing thing. It's not that he didn't feel remorse about the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, but that he still always saw the other side of everything and the ridiculous side of things, too.
I've heard guys laughing about the "slopes" they "wasted" in "Nam." And heard them cry, too. Being human is really complicated sometimes.

elf
08-30-2009, 05:41 PM

I wonder how he did that. He never had that kind of power in MA and was never in the MA Senate or House.

People who don't live in MA have no idea of how diverse politics really is in MA.

Suggest you get more accurate sources.

Tylerdurden
08-31-2009, 05:20 AM
People who don't live in MA have no idea of how diverse politics really is in MA.

]

Yeah, do some reading on Billy Bolger. True diversity.:D

downthecreek
08-31-2009, 05:38 AM
You don't get even a full diagnosis of things that bad in socialized medicine, much less $100,000's in care that won't even give you another year. You get, "Sorry, it's inoperable," and a handful of prescriptions.

Either you are extremely ignorant or you are extremely gullible. Both, probably.

stevebaby
08-31-2009, 07:04 AM

Unless you are an oligarch sitting on a gangster fortune, that is...

I spent 4 1/2 months as an inpatient with multiple fractures. My treating surgeon was a Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and I had the very best of care.
I also had 12 months of chemo. The cost of the drugs alone was $AUD60,000. It didn't cost me a cent. They cured me in both instances.
What would that have cost me in the USA?

Soundbounder
08-31-2009, 07:27 AM
Kennedy's death has been no more exploited than Reagan's death and funeral were in 2004. There were plenty of speeches and comments attempting to link Bush with Reagan despite their many political and philosophical differences.
With the election just months away, the funeral included speeches that called Bush the heir to Reagan. Meanwhile Bill Kristol spent the following two weeks claiming that Reagan would have invaded Iraq also.
:rolleyes: