PDA

View Full Version : Is Health-Care Reform Really Necessary?

seanz
08-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Or would a placebo do the trick?

http://www.wired.com/medtech/drugs/magazine/17-09/ff_placebo_effect?currentPage=all

Jim Bow
08-26-2009, 08:18 PM
That seems to be the Republican plan. Do absolutely nothing and see what happens.

seanz
08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Umm.....not quite, doing nothing isn't a placebo.
Have a glance at the article, it's interesting and has nothing whatsoever to do with health-care reform.
:)

Mrleft8
08-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Yes.

Dan McCosh
08-27-2009, 09:23 AM
That seems to be the Republican plan. Do absolutely nothing and see what happens.

A placebo is pretending to do something, while doing absolutely nothing, and seeing what happens.

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Umm.....not quite, doing nothing isn't a placebo.
Have a glance at the article, it's interesting and has nothing whatsoever to do with health-care reform.
:)

Do you want an answer to your initial query or are you pimping that web address?

Keith Wilson
08-27-2009, 11:19 AM
That's a good article. I thought this was particuarly intersting:
. . . Alzheimer's patients with impaired cognitive function get less pain relief from analgesic drugs than normal volunteers do. Using advanced methods of EEG analysis, he discovered that the connections between the patients' prefrontal lobes and their opioid systems had been damaged. Healthy volunteers feel the benefit of medication plus a placebo boost. Patients who are unable to formulate ideas about the future because of cortical deficits, however, feel only the effect of the drug itself. The experiment suggests that because Alzheimer's patients don't get the benefits of anticipating the treatment, they require higher doses of painkillers to experience normal levels of relief.

Milo Christensen
08-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Just imagine, then, a redhead (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/gurley/detail?entry_id=45126) with Alzheimer's.

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-27-2009, 02:02 PM
This thread is covering a lot of ground. Now we're into brain architecture. This site isn't the Oxford Union but we gotta'get this train onto one track or another. Shopping web addesses around is OK but needs a category called "Hey! Looka' This!" or words to that effect. Within this catagory it would be understood the thread initiator is under no obligation to know the least little bit about what he/she is posting.

seanz
08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Within this catagory it would be understood the thread initiator is under no obligation to know the least little bit about what he/she is posting.

A new Bilge motto!
:D

isla
08-27-2009, 04:21 PM
A placebo is pretending to do something, while doing absolutely nothing, and seeing what happens.

Actually no. A placebo is nothing, which pretends to be doing something, and in some cases the something actually happens :D

hansp77
08-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Actually no. A placebo is nothing, which pretends to be doing something, and in some cases the something actually happens :D

the placebo's in question are usually (basically) a tablet made of milk and sugar....
hardly 'nothing'- after all, everyone (except the lactose intolerant) feels a bit better after some sweet milk! I know I did as a kid- couldn't sleep, bad nightmares, troubling thoughts, ie, any general child brain malady, and all it took was a glass of warm milk and honey.
Now, either this proves that milk and sugar tablets are not nothing, and are not true placebo's- or it proves that the idea and application of warm glass of sweetened milk is a great and affective placebo...
Or maybe it is something in between... or niether... I feel confused, a little challenged... time to take another sip on my warm cup of sweet milky tea....
Ahhh.. that's better, what were we talking about?

American health care reform? Oh yes, of course. One second, I will just go grab a jumbo can of sweetened condensed milk and a spoon, and we can get right into it:rolleyes::D

seanz
08-28-2009, 04:40 AM
Strange to tell.....the placebo would make me unwell.
When my lactose intolerence it triggers.....how would that skew the figures?