PDA

View Full Version : RIP Edward Kennedy

JimD
08-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Died a few hours ago.

Chris Coose
08-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Just called Evie next door at S. Bristol and asked her to tend to my flag on the pier.
What a life!
All's I want to see is photographs of him at the helm of some glorious woodenboat.

Joe (SoCal)
08-26-2009, 12:36 PM
All's I want to see is photographs of him at the helm of some glorious woodenboat.

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2008/news/080602/ted_kennedy3.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bN9se-ul_aE/SDNa6xMVEgI/AAAAAAAAAok/Vj2dwAXerYg/s400/Mya_Ted.jpg

http://www.projo.com/photos/20080522/JA0522_Kennedy_sail_05-22-08_1TA7QEL.jpg

Fair Winds Lion

John of Phoenix
08-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Nice Joe. Fine legacy.

Chris Coose
08-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Hope I can clear the tears before my 2 o'clock shows.

David W Pratt
08-26-2009, 01:50 PM
De mortuis, nil nissi bonum.

ishmael
08-26-2009, 01:54 PM
I disagreed with him politically about 80% of the time, but that doesn't keep me from offering a fare thee well.

Is there a surviving sister of that generation? I thought Teddy was the end of the line, but one of the talking heads this morning said there's yet another sibling.

Stiletto
08-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Thankyou for the link Norman.
Joe Biden lost a good friend and so did America.

RIP Senator Kennedy.

oznabrag
08-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Often maligned but ever a stalwart.

A Statesman by any measure.

We must not dwell on what we have lost, but upon what we've gained.

Fair winds viejo.

PatCox
08-26-2009, 09:15 PM
The political winds have changed, Roosevelt and the liberal tradition he started is in disrepute, Ted was the last of them.

I don't understand why that classic Roosevelt liberalism has fallen into such disrepute, I suspect its because of the prosperity it brought. It came into being during a time of extreme hardship for enormous numbers of people in this country, maybe people suffering themselves are more charitable to others who suffer.

But you know, this country came to its highest peak under the reign of that Roosevelt liberalism. We came out of World War II the strongest, most pwerful, richest nation in the world, the mightiest industrial power that ever was in history, we made technological and scientific advances greater than any society ever, achieved some of mankind's greatest achievements, and we had the greatest respect among the nations of the world that we ever had.

The legacy of the Roosevelt liberals did away with official racism, passed the voting rights act and the civil rights act. The GI Bill opened up higher education to the masses, broke that dam. The general standard of living of the average man and woman achieved its highest level. Since Reagan, real income has declined steadily for all but the richest.

Ted Kennedy, was the last of them.

He lost his oldest brother in WWII, he lost his next 2 brothers to assasins bullets, while they were in office or seeking office and seeking to do good for the society that had blessed them and their family.

He could have slunk off and lived a life of luxury on the family money. But no, he spent his life championing the cause of the poor, while his values came to be despised.

His personal problems are nothing compared to his achievements in public life, the greatest tragedy is that his flaws prevented him from doing more for this country.

He had the admiration and respect and love, of even those who were most staunchly opposed to his values. That alone should be enough to answer those who dwell on his personal failures, those who worked with him and knew him, even those from the opposite side of the political spectrum, those who knew him as a person, loved and respected him, almost without exception. That says a thousand times more than the rantings of those who know him only as a demonized charicature of scorn, and who dwell obsessively 40 years later over a tragic mistake.

goodbasil
08-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Yes, he has a older (81) surviving sister, Jean Kennedy Smith.

Captain Blight
08-26-2009, 09:39 PM
We lost Martin. We lost Malcolm. We lost John, we lost Bobby and now we've lost Ted.

I know there are people out there who will sleep a little better knowing Mr Kennedy is no longer around. They are no friends of mine.

But I also know that the very best thing I can do to honor his memory is to keep fighting the good fight as I see it, to not give up and to try always to do the decent thing.

PatCox
08-26-2009, 10:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9JTYnMpRyg

In other words, Blight, to do the things ted spoke of in that speach.

ripley699
08-27-2009, 01:55 AM
I am 58.
years ago my father taught me that there are doers and there are bull****ters.
He also told me that it is far better to do SOMETHING and be wrong than to do nothing at all. for that reason, i must give ted his due.
However I also must say that i disagreed with everything he ever did and i am glad he can no longer do any damage,at least not in person.But his legacy,quite large, is formidable , and I would do well to accomplish half of what he did.
As an AMERICAN, he had few peers...... he did accomplish so much...a certain percentage of which,i wish he did not. He had a free ride simply because of his name ,somthing he did not earn but was bequeathed to him for no reason,no justifiable reason..he was ,to put it quite simply, a KENNEDY..something that in truth ,so many people envy....their was so much baggage that came along with that name,a great deal of weight to carry on ones' back from birth.....While I am relieved,no ,not happy ,not pleased,,simply relieved that he won't be around to do more ,positive or negative, he was a GREAT MAN.
AND SO ENDS CAMELOT .....that will be missed,truly.

rbgarr
08-27-2009, 03:34 AM
The Kennedy family tree: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/08/26/us/kennedy-family-tree.html?hp

jbelow
08-27-2009, 05:33 AM
We lost Martin. We lost Malcolm. We lost John, we lost Bobby and now we've lost Ted.

I know there are people out there who will sleep a little better knowing Mr Kennedy is no longer around. They are no friends of mine.

But I also know that the very best thing I can do to honor his memory is to keep fighting the good fight as I see it, to not give up and to try always to do the decent thing.

Martin was the best ! Malcolm , John , Bobby , and Ted were lesser men.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-27-2009, 05:38 AM
From my perspective, I'm obliged to him for the Freedom of Information Act, because my Government were obliged to copy it.

I was less delighted with his grandstanding on Northern Ireland.

Hwyl
08-27-2009, 05:50 AM
As I said in the other thread. He sailed with me, not someone I'd want to sail with again.

I liked his politics for the most part

Rigadog
08-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Not too many nobless obligeers left.

ishmael
08-27-2009, 07:56 AM
"As I said in the other thread. He sailed with me, not someone I'd want to sail with again."

I'll bet he was a royal pain in the ass. Anyone who touts to royalty, but really isn't, tends that way.

We Americans lost something important when we lost our king.

Saltiguy
08-27-2009, 08:00 AM
RIP
Mary Jo Kopechne
1940....................died July 18, 1969

oznabrag
08-27-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm glad you lot of Repugnicans are lining up to piss on his grave.

It exposes y'all for the lot of heartless idiots you truly are.