PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time you offered open-handed good welcome?

ishmael
08-26-2009, 10:53 AM
When I post here, even something totally uncontroversial like flying a kite, I cringe when I open it again. I'm just sure someone has made a critical, often negative, nasty comment. Nothing against critique, but my lord there are cynics behind every bush.

Maybe it's me, but I don't think so.

Ya know, like Skinner and Pavlov said, eventually I'll stop posting. Not worth it.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-26-2009, 11:02 AM
I gave 20 bucks to a homeless guy when I was in Chicago.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Who me?

downthecreek
08-26-2009, 11:04 AM
I must say, Ishmael, that in the relatively short time I have been here, I have seen what you describe over and over again and wondered why.

You have your own perspective on things. Maybe people don't see things the same way, or understand or care about what you are getting at, but that's no reason to pile in as people often do. I've waited in vain to see if I could discern some reason for the unrelenting hostility from some quarters.

I wish you well.

huisjen
08-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Jack, you were invited to go on the Welfare Fleet Cruise, openly and without reservation.

Dan

John of Phoenix
08-26-2009, 11:16 AM
When I post here, even something totally uncontroversial like flying a kite..

ishmael:
OK, let's have a knock down drag out thread about queers.

I think maybe it is you.

huisjen
08-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Mark, you offered to do offensive things with cannon and loudspeakers if you came on cruise.

Dan

LeeG
08-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Jack, are you feeling like a stranger needing an open handed welcome?

Yes, the problem is you. You need normal human contact and for some reason you're an isolated person attempting it through a forum where you post topics then refuse to engage in the actual content that YOU initiate. It becomes obvious in a few exchanges that you are seeking basic validation that you exist. The thing is that most folks have figured that out, I type, therefore I exist. You keep going back into some kind of childish loop where getting yelled at is your reward and you can flip your curls, turn away saying "oh nevermind".

huisjen
08-26-2009, 11:25 AM
He has curls?

Dan

oznabrag
08-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Jack, are you feeling like a stranger needing an open handed welcome?

Yes, the problem is you. You need normal human contact and for some reason you're an isolated person attempting it through a forum where you post topics then refuse to engage in the actual content that YOU initiate. It becomes obvious in a few exchanges that you are seeking basic validation that you exist. The thing is that most folks have figured that out, I type, therefore I exist. You keep going back into some kind of childish loop where getting yelled at is your reward and you can flip your curls, turn away saying "oh nevermind".

So...In the immortal words of John Lennon, Let It Be, dude.

Jack is maybe not the most socially accomplished person. He may be introverted, overly concerned with his own foibles, too involved with that about himself which he does not fully understand. He may not be a person you'd choose to be marooned with (God forfend!)

None of this means you are a better person for picking on him. Yes, I do mean picking on him. If he were a more resilient, plucky sort of chap, your comment above may well be exactly what he needed to motivate him to pick himself up and get on with life, but he is not that resilient, plucky fellow.

Before you get wound up on this, I have to say that I don't have any idea what to do with him either! So I let him be.

LeeG
08-26-2009, 11:39 AM
if you're this nutz with a community of folks just imagine if you traded places with Jack?

huisjen
08-26-2009, 11:43 AM
So...In the immortal words of John Lennon, Let It Be, dude.

Nope. That was Paul.

Dan

LeeG
08-26-2009, 11:48 AM
None of this means you are a better person for picking on him. .............So I let him be.

Here's the thing, like Jack I'm a sensitive guy of the 90's and ignoring someone who is seeking contact is just not the kind of guy I am.

oznabrag
08-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Here's the thing, like Jack I'm a sensitive guy of the 90's and ignoring someone who is seeking contact is just not the kind of guy I am.

I didn't say I ignored him, I just don't have any idea what to do with him.

I am of the belief that someone does know (and it may be, should be, must be Jack, really) and until that person comes along, he's gonna wallow. I'm empathetic, I really am, but there's nothing to be done but wait.

Chris Coose
08-26-2009, 12:14 PM
But some were told not to bother. Don't leave out the good parts Dan.

I'd be interested to see that beaut documented.

oznabrag
08-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Nope. That was Paul.

Dan

Thank you for furthering my education, Sir.

Beer?

huisjen
08-26-2009, 12:15 PM
The world is run by those who show up. Neither Mark nor Jack showed up.

Dan

huisjen
08-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Thank you for furthering my education, Sir.

Beer?

It's a little early, but I just might.

Dan

oznabrag
08-26-2009, 12:19 PM
if you're this nutz with a community of folks just imagine if you traded places with Jack?

I take it this was directed toward me?

oznabrag
08-26-2009, 12:20 PM
It's a little early, but I just might.

Dan

I'll hoist one for you later this PM! :)

bobbys
08-26-2009, 12:26 PM
When I post here, even something totally uncontroversial like flying a kite, I cringe when I open it again. I'm just sure someone has made a critical, often negative, nasty comment. Nothing against critique, but my lord there are cynics behind every bush.

Ya know, like Skinner and Pavlov said, eventually I'll stop posting. Not worth it..

You is welcome over to my shack anytime for a spot of tea and honey.

I will even take the dead flies out when i see you drive up.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-26-2009, 12:34 PM
I luvs all youse guys. :D

LeeG
08-26-2009, 12:52 PM
I take it this was directed toward me?

my apologies, I meant Tylerdurden.

ishmael
08-26-2009, 01:05 PM
"Jack, you were invited to go on the Welfare Fleet Cruise, openly and without reservation."

I didn't even consider it because I thought you might be there. I don't tend to hold a grudge. If you mistakenly call me a thief, I'll tend to laugh you off. But you've made the most heinous accusations of me this side of murder. I'm not laughing it off. I would accept a sincere retraction and apology. Until then, it is a little man who sails in the Welfare Fleet.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
How is sobriety going Jack?

oznabrag
08-26-2009, 01:14 PM
my apologies, I meant Tylerdurden.

Thanks for that clarification, Lee!

LeeG
08-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Jack, the post is prologue, you'll continue challenges to knock down drag out threads about navel lint then bemoan how cruel the world is because your lint just isn't that fascinating.

Pugwash
08-26-2009, 01:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMfneL5eU8A&feature=related

:confused:

rbgarr
08-26-2009, 01:36 PM
No one in mind, particularly. It just seems apropos.

http://i28.tinypic.com/apjyua.jpg

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-26-2009, 01:44 PM
I was wishing on a star.

LeeG
08-26-2009, 01:49 PM
No one in mind, particularly. It just seems apropos.

http://i28.tinypic.com/apjyua.jpg

the world got small with just the two of them

huisjen
08-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Well Jack, when you apologize for coming across as a child molester or victim of a child molester or maybe both, repeatedly bringing up the neighbor's oh-so-vulnerable kids, repeatedly being fascinated by pederasty, stating that fathers have a hard time not molesting their daughters, claiming you want a knock-down-drag-out fight about homosexuality, etc, and act sane and sober for a year or two, then... then...

Well if that happens you'll be sane enough to see why I'd say that you really have worried me sometimes, and no apology will be necessary. Otherwise, I'm willing to say a few kind words at your funeral and carry your ashes on cruise, just to finally get you back out on the water.

Dan

Chris Coose
08-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Jack says,

Until then, it is a little man who sails in the Welfare Fleet.

TD says,

I was sailing nearby. In the company of non judgmental sailors.

Thread title

When was the last time you offered open-handed good welcome?

Not speaking for the WFYC members that made the cruise but I'd say you've missed the boat.

Mrleft8
08-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Every day.... (To answer the question without casting aspersions, or tossing insults, which I do on a regular basis as well....)