PDA

View Full Version : Prosecutor to Probe CIA Interrogations

skuthorp
08-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Has this surfaced in the US yet? Ex vp Dick will not be pleased.
Obama may not be either. I wonder if they'll try the Nuremberg defence, and how high this will eventually go?

"In appointing a prosecutor to investigate alleged CIA interrogation abuses, including episodes that resulted in prisoner deaths, Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. on Monday shook off warnings from President Obama to avoid becoming mired in past controversies."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/24/AR2009082401743.html

Once started these things can go a lot further than may originally have been envisaged as succeeding levels of defendants seek to mitigate their responsibility.
"Legal analysts said the review, while preliminary, could expand beyond its relatively narrow mandate and ensnare a wider cast of characters. They cited U.S. Attorney Patrick J. Fitzgerald's investigation of the leak of a CIA operative's identity, which culminated with the criminal conviction of then-Vice President Richard B. Cheney's chief of staff."

skuthorp
08-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Bump. This is getting play here in the serious press, not in the US?

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-26-2009, 09:04 AM
This is a country of 300+ million people. There is a lot going on here each day that competes for daily news coverage.
It will take a special prosecutor a long while to put an investigative team together and they will be looking for information that may have the cover of state secrecy laws. We don't have anything as draconian as "The Official Secrets Act" but our spooks are just as good at foot dragging and dissembling as anyone else's.
Personally, I long to see high ranking individuals from the prior administration either defending their acquiessence to or promotion of torture or seeking the protection of the Fifth Ammendment. Republicans are such artless lawbreakers you would think they would have gotten religion by now.
I watched the Watergate hearings on a portable TV that I had with me while I was re-wiring my house. The hearings had one surprise after another and my wiring job came to a standstill many times. It was great theater.

"Let the Games Begin!"