PDA

View Full Version : We ain't agonna touch Medicare.....

paladin
08-24-2009, 08:11 PM
and I assume Social Security was implied in that also......

Lessee....after last months news conference where "we won't have a cost of living raise this year".........
Last nights news and this mornings Washington Posts says no COLA for two years......with the added benefit of Medicare costs being raised this year and again next year.....
In the same article it mentioned that the average social security payment in the U.S. was about 1200 bucks a month....
maybe my figgerin' pencils off but....
They passed out $250 "stimulus checks" this year, then announce no COLA, last years COLA was 5.6 %, which, if the same this year would have been a a raise in monthly salary of$73.20, or for the year, $878.40. But then they always raise the medicare premium and take some of it back.
If the scale stayed the same for two years that there will be no COLA, that's a total of $1756.80 that the government saves by not paying it for the two years, but they were nice and gave you a $250 check in return. They just got $1500 of your money to help pay the clunkers program and other things, times the number of folks on Social security, listed atapprox. 50 million, the government just pocketed $75 Billion of your bucks in a single cut, and I betcha they spread that around to help more bankers and car companies.
Then to add insult to injury, they are raising the medicare fees, and will do so again next year.....and in the process, found enough money to give raises to VA employees and others.

Phillip Allen
08-24-2009, 08:16 PM
ease system...you can do nothing (from a Russian I know)

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Social Security ain't Medicare and vice-versa.
If you were living in public housing in Baltimore I would feel your pain. But since you live among the high rollers you, obviously, have a couple of sheckles to rub together. No tears for you until your lifestyle has been reduced by a lot more than ".

Milo Christensen
08-24-2009, 08:33 PM
They didn't touch your Social Security. There hasn't been any appreciable Cost of Living increase according to the formula they use. Therefore, no COLA increase. You can't use last years 5.6% because that was one of the largest COLA increase in recent memory, most have been around 3% for a long time.

No, Chuck, "addressing" Social Security is on Obama's agenda for next year.

Dan McCosh
08-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Might note that Medicare is deducted from Social Security--increasing the deduction reduces the SS payment.

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-24-2009, 10:47 PM
They didn't touch your Social Security. There hasn't been any appreciable Cost of Living increase according to the formula they use. Therefore, no COLA increase. You can't use last years 5.6% because that was one of the largest COLA increase in recent memory, most have been around 3% for a long time.

No, Chuck, "addressing" Social Security is on Obama's agenda for next year.

You been supping from the same pot a Tylerdurden?
What Paladin was moaning about stems from the provisions of the law governing SS which were enacted when Obama was a little Waheenee in Hawaii.
I don't have anything like the wherewithall Paladin possesses and the probability of me having to go dumpster diving because of this is rather remote.

Phillip Allen
08-25-2009, 05:30 AM
You been supping from the same pot a Tylerdurden?
What Paladin was moaning about stems from the provisions of the law governing SS which were enacted when Obama was a little Waheenee in Hawaii.
I don't have anything like the wherewithall Paladin possesses and the probability of me having to go dumpster diving because of this is rather remote.

Obama has had a sex change???

Tylerdurden
08-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Lets not talk about the plans to raid pensions nationwide.;)

George Roberts
08-25-2009, 08:37 AM
A raise due to COLA is not a contractual guarantee.

Whine. Whine. Whine.

paladin
08-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Gentlemen...and I use that term loosely, I am not whining. I'm making an observation. If it were my desire I could continue working....but with three days a week to very roughly call my own, I prefer not. However, I live where I do as a matter of choice. Before I moved here, I lived in the most exclusive neighborhood in Calvert County.......now I live in the beach house. I consider myself very lucky. No car payments, no debt, and the only bills are the normal insurance payments and utility bills. Perhaps my planning was better than some, but I don't apologize for that.