PDA

View Full Version : Rorschach Revealed

MiddleAgesMan
08-24-2009, 08:05 AM
...and the Canadian doctor who posted the ten original tests to Wikipedia is reviled:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/jul/29/rorschach-answers-wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorschach_test#Protection_of_test_items_and_ethics

Shang
08-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Horsefeathers.
The Rorschach doesn't work that way.
Telling the "answers" no more negates the test than telling the "answers" to Zen Koans negates Zen.

When the nun Chiyono studied Zen under Bukko of Engaku she was unable to attain the fruits of meditation for a long time.
At last one moonlit night she was carrying water in an old pail bound with bamboo. The bamboo broke and the bottom fell out of the pail, and at that moment Chiyono was set free!

There, Grasshopper, now you understand.

Mrleft8
08-24-2009, 08:21 AM
They all look like demons mating to me......

botebum
08-24-2009, 08:39 AM
They all look like demons mating to me......Try it again when the hangover wears off:p

Doug

Tom Montgomery
08-24-2009, 08:43 AM
You mean to say they are not portraits of my family? :eek: :p

Robert Meyer
08-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Are you ill if all the Rorschach images remind you of Sarah Palin? BTW - How's her divorce proceedings going?

Mrleft8
08-24-2009, 09:20 AM
The only thing Palin's getting divorced from is reality.

Pirate-at-heart
08-24-2009, 09:24 AM
why would he ruin a perfectly good psychological test like that? what did he stand to gain from posting the correct answers? I dont understand people anymore. no siree.

Shang
08-24-2009, 10:34 AM
why would he ruin a perfectly good psychological test like that? what did he stand to gain from posting the correct answers? I dont understand people anymore. no siree.

Why? I dunno, maybe he's just showing off, or maybe he realizes that it doesn't make any real difference. Discribing ink blot pictures used to be a popular party game, and as a psychological test it is just one of a great many testing devices.

Posting the "correct" answers is irrelevant. The Rorschach doesn't work that way, there are many ways to interpret the responses that provide insight into the subject's mental state.
Here, I'll give you a few for free: If the psychologist elects to hand you a Rorschach card (or anything else for that matter), do you take it or not? If you do take it is your hand turned up, or down? When you look at the card do you look at it in only one orientation, or do you rotate the card to see how it looks in other positions? Do you discribe the picture made by the ink image or the negative spaces within it? As you study the Rorschach card do you cover your mouth with your other hand?
And so on and so on...
A skilful psychologist can tell quite a bit about you just by checking the darns in your socks. But in any case, if you don't trust the shrink, why go to him in the first place? Keep in mind, people don't go to psychologists unless they are in real pain--this is particularly true for men.

"How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?"
"One... but the light bulb has to want to change."

Pirate-at-heart
08-24-2009, 10:49 AM
yeah, I suppose 'ruin' was not the best choice in words.
But the test itself still has great validity in itself. Incidentally, the verbal responses to this test would be the primary goal in administration, and not the non-verbal cues which you seemed to purport. Looking for patterns in the verbal response to ambiguous stimuli is the objective of the rorschach test.
But if everyone were to read this one doctor's report, then the test would have limited validity. Of course, the reliability would certainly improve. But thats not a very good thing.
Anyway... why do so many people argue about politics on this website?

Shang
08-24-2009, 11:18 AM
"...why do so many people argue about politics on this website?

I dunno. Maybe it should be renamed "The Bilge and Acrimonious Political Comments Forum."

Your comments about the Rorschach are correct. But I like the nonverbal observations.

In the next few months I expect to be eBaying several hundred books on verious aspects of psychology. I wonder if people will get on my case for distributing psychological information to non-professionals? There will be several books concerning interpretation of the Rorschach.

John of Phoenix
08-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Guy runs into a doctor's office and says, "Doc, it's so strange. I think I'm a moth."
"Uh, I'm a podiatrist. I think you need a psychiatrist."
"Yeah, I figured that... but I saw your light was on."

htom
08-24-2009, 02:52 PM
This is an argument that took a long time at Wikipedia, and it's not the first such topic that got such a review. Since the images are available elsewhere, someone who wanted to "cheat" could do so without Wikipedia's help, and having them so available may actually help, because now those using them will pay more attention to their patients. Cheating on such tests, of course, is good evidence of some kinds of mental problem.

Then there are people like me, who were given the test, and I provided very "wrong" answers. "You can't see that!" and "Where do you see that?" were frequent questions. "Only a blob" wasn't a good answer, either. (I was probably marked down as creatively non-cooperative.)

Keith Wilson
08-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Are you ill if all the Rorschach images remind you of Sarah Palin?
Yes.