PDA

View Full Version : It's hot !

PeterSibley
08-23-2009, 06:10 PM
One week to go before spring officially arrives so it's winter , nice and cool eh ??

Not quite 30.5 C ( 87F ) here this morning at 9 am .Gusting 20knts .:(

Roll on summer !:eek:

Tom Galyen
08-23-2009, 06:37 PM
We have had an abnormally cool winter spring and summer. I was wearing a light jacket to work well into June when the temps should have been in the 80's. We had a brief spell of day of 90's in late June which we thought was the beginning of a long hot summer to make up for the cool winter and spring. However the temps then moderated again and have been in the low to mid 80's until now except again for a day or two when it actually hit 90. The forcast for the rest of August looks to be the same with the temps in the low to mid 80's. The farmers are worried about their crops because we have not had the spell of 90 degree weather that is needed to help the corn and it looks like we may have an early frost which would be very bad. We have many farmers here who would have liked a few hot humid days such as they have had in Texas and it looks like you are experiencing.

Wayne Jeffers
08-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Tom,

It has been cool and wet here in SE Ohio this summer. This has been a banner year for mosquitoes. :( I’m anxiously waiting for that first good frost to get rid of the mosquitoes.

Of course, then we will get the Asian ladybugs. :(

Wayne

The Bigfella
08-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Its a bit cooler here... about 23C - but the damn August winds are belting in, raising dust clouds. 40 knots plus.

PeterSibley
08-23-2009, 08:10 PM
32.6 C now , just over 90F ...and still winter !!

Captain Intrepid
08-23-2009, 08:26 PM
When ever I hear someone say it's hot, this plays in my mind...

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/qhlvlqgzvf--Good-Morning-Vietnam-Robin-Williams-A1C-Adrian-Cronauer-Roosevelt

shamus
08-23-2009, 08:45 PM
It's because of Local Warming..

PeterSibley
08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
You mean it's not 32 in Hobart ??

capnharv
08-23-2009, 09:09 PM
"One week to go before spring officially arrives so it's winter"

umm. . . I thought your spring started when our fall started-on the equinox, which is about a month away?

Maybe I'm just behind the times. . .

Harvey

shamus
About 12 deg.
-0.5 at the top of Mt Wellington.
Funny thing- at the farm, the wattles are only just beginning to flower, which often happens in July. In Hobart they've been out for ages. A plover hatched her chicks two days ago though, which seems a bit early.

The Bigfella
Its been spotting rain here... and the radar says its definitely on its way... fortunately I checked just before I mixed a batch of pinhole filler....

.. as for blossoms, our whole street is out in a gay parade of pink blossums... except our house, where they are just emerging - a couple of weeks after the rest of the street .... we are heavily treed at our place... so its a couple of degrees cooler than the rest of the street.

skuthorp
08-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Big deep depression here, blew a gale and poured at the beach and forecast is for it to continue all week. Think the same system is responsible for warm weather up north and fire warnings in Sth Queensland.
http://www.bom.gov.au/difacs/IDX1124.gif?20090824020524

The Bigfella
08-23-2009, 10:08 PM
My suburb is still the ruddy hole in the rain on the radar. I should've mixed the epoxy... it would have guaranteed rain.

John B
08-23-2009, 10:16 PM
There's something big and orange about to land on us here. evidentally.

The Bigfella
08-23-2009, 10:19 PM

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the green sky here too.

skuthorp
08-23-2009, 10:25 PM

Well it's grey underneath. Talked to a climate scientist on the weekend regarding the effect of pollution on rain clouds. Simple explan is that the pollutant particles collect water vapour in the cloud but being solids carry a charge that bonds them together and prevent the water precipitating out. So you get the clouds, but only showers. Something like that anyway. Some at the BBQ were god botherers and got upset at either: 1. We didn't trust god enough to solve the problem and that prayer would make it go away, or, that: 2. This was preordained and is a punishment for our wicked ways. Funnily enough, if you regard pollution of the air as 'wicked' there is a ring of truth about it.

George Jung
08-23-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm old enough to have been through a couple of 'cycles'; I always have hated the dry parts, having been through about four droughts in my life. But this year has been so unusual, for South Dakota. Much cooler, by far the most rainfall, that I can remember in 40 years! I would also say it's been the best year I've enjoyed here. Folks are commenting it's more like what you'd expect in southern Minnesota, or Iowa - and the crops are tops, as well. Of course, the question arises - part of global warming? Guess we'll see.

The Bigfella
08-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Hey Peter Sibley

... just browsing ebay and saw this... a forge blower.. cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VINTAGE-RAPBLO-SYDNEY-forge-blower-blacksmith-WORKS_W0QQitemZ320415355630QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_15?hash=item4a9a3e52ee&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

PeterSibley
08-23-2009, 11:15 PM
A good item ,but I use an old misting machine , works just fine .Thanks Ian .

WX
08-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Was doing stone work for someone this morning and managed to get it all done by midday so it was off to the pub for a hamburger, chips and a couple of schooners. I have to say the schooners really hit the spot:D
So, the warmest August on record, at least for some areas. I know it's the hottest I have experienced.
Killed my first Marchfly for the season today.
http://www.ozanimals.com/image/albums/australia/Insect/IMGP6320b.jpg

Also the fireflies are out in mid August and up until a couple of years ago they only appeared in September.

PeterSibley
08-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Up to 34 now , that's 93 F .Winter in Oz .

WX
08-23-2009, 11:53 PM
How's the bunker coming along Peter:D
Doesn't bode well for Summer eh?

PeterSibley
08-24-2009, 12:00 AM
The bunker is in thinking about it stage , plans drawn, but no sod turned .

This Summer ...warm I'd say .:rolleyes:

The Bigfella
08-24-2009, 01:51 AM
Winter has arrived back Peter... down to about 14C from 24.5C earlier. The two students have arrived home complaining... given they went in shorts and tee shirts this morning.

P.L.Lenihan
08-24-2009, 02:49 AM
You guys are killing me with your laments about your "winter" temperatures....come up here in about 4 months time and I'll show ya what "winter" temperatures are supposed to look like:D:D:D

Cheers!

Peter

PeterSibley
08-24-2009, 02:49 AM
Same here mate , it's dropped to a barmy 31 as I type .

It's gunna be a luvly Summer !

WX
08-24-2009, 05:47 AM
Getting into early starts and mid day siesta time season I reckon.

PeterSibley
08-24-2009, 05:54 AM
You guys are killing me with your laments about your "winter" temperatures....come up here in about 4 months time and I'll show ya what "winter" temperatures are supposed to look like:D:D:D

Cheers!

Peter

Yep Peter , I really would prefer something a bit cooler , 93 F in NOT a normal winter temperature .We have a very mild climate but 93 is just silly .:(

WX
08-24-2009, 05:57 AM
We have a very mild climate but 93 is just silly .:(

Actually I find it a bit scary...I don't want cyclones this far South.

The Bigfella
08-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Actually I find it a bit scary...I don't want cyclones this far South.

Um - I remember them coming down a fair way in the 60's

WX
08-24-2009, 06:15 AM
I still don't want one here thank you very much. My home town of Busselton got hit by one in 77. It wiped out the main jetty which was a mile and a 7th long...along with a few other things.

The Bigfella
08-24-2009, 06:20 AM
Like this

http://australiasevereweather.com/tropical_cyclones/bom_1963_1964_australian_region_tropical_cyclones. htm

and this

http://australiasevereweather.com/tropical_cyclones/bom_1966_1967_australian_region_tropical_cyclones. htm

The Bigfella
08-24-2009, 06:28 AM
I still don't want one here thank you very much. My home town of Busselton got hit by one in 77. It wiped out the main jetty which was a mile and a 7th long...along with a few other things.

Alby eh?

Flying Orca
08-24-2009, 05:36 PM
come up here in about 4 months time and I'll show ya what "winter" temperatures are supposed to look like

How's that, by taking him up to Iqaluit? :p

Flying Orca
08-24-2009, 05:50 PM
I've mostly been traveling, New Hampshire for a week and then BC for about ten days. I'm fitting out the cockpit of the Shilling right now, though I've been a bit remiss when it comes to updating the blog... it didn't help that I got stuck without any extra hands during a bit where I needed someone to wrangle epoxy while I dealt with some tricky installation.

Fortunately I'm past that point and have lots to keep me busy even singlehanded (Oystagirl's trying to winterize her cottage before the snow flies, which is usually the end of October, and since she's been traveling with me, she's behind too).

I do hope to have our Shilling in the water next summer but the travel is a pain; it's about an hour each way to the shop (at my parents' place) and that means I can only get out there a couple of days a week. :(

Still, I'm plugging along, and thanks for asking! :)

The Bigfella
08-24-2009, 06:01 PM
I see that yesterday just failed to break the 63 year old record August temp in Brisbane.

The BOM forecast a front to hit here at 7am - but ask me how I know it hit at 4am... something to do with a ladder blowing over, trees complaining, etc. Gusts to Force 10.

skuthorp
08-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Winds to 120K forecast today and another storm front about 5pm tonight. Calm and sunny at present. Heaps of rain at the beach place though. Intertestingly the rainfall that has kept Melb supplied for the last few years has been the by-blow of tropical cyclones and east coast lows.

The Bigfella
08-24-2009, 06:24 PM
http://www.bom.gov.au/tmp/aus195919880.gif

Were you always so messy?

I like the site I linked because you can check out individual seasons so easily. Using it you can see the storms that caused the massive beach erosion back in the pre global warming days. Now the erosion is caused by global warming, of course.

John B
08-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Those are great maps of the cyclones from that site. I have a couple hanging on my pinboard here, just to remind me that the ones that hurt are typically atypical in their behaviour/ track.
( Bola , for example)

ps . the orange is here.. first big wet in a week or two, greasy roads, I predict the news will be full of car accidents tonight.

skuthorp
08-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Another one coming JohnB

[/URL]http://www.woodenboat.com/difacs/IDX0894.gif (http://www.bom.gov.au/nmoc/products/MSLP_B&W.shtml)
[URL]http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/nmoc/latest_MSLP.pl?IDCODE=IDY00050

John B
08-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Makes me feel happier about the news that my turbo is still 2 weeks away.:rolleyes:

( looks around for something to kick)

shamus
08-24-2009, 09:21 PM
It was sleeting as I left for work this am and the mountain has a good fall of snow on it.

skuthorp
08-24-2009, 09:58 PM
G'day Shamus, snow forecast here too to low levels. Just as well after the warm weather, might kick in enough for another slide or two yet.

WX
08-24-2009, 11:50 PM
I see that yesterday just failed to break the 63 year old record August temp in Brisbane.

They were well and truly broken around here yesterday. Today is much better...total fire ban in force.