PDA

View Full Version : Big Waves.

huisjen
08-23-2009, 05:33 PM
I saw that there were 15 foot waves out there in the Gulf of Maine, and I wanted to go see them, but didn't want to deal with the crowds on MDI, so we had a picnic on the rocks in Stonington. There were some waves, but nothing really spectacular.

It sounds like there were some big waves hitting the south side of MDI though.

http://mdi.villagesoup.com/Government/story.cfm?storyID=173356

:eek::eek:

Dan

The Bigfella
08-23-2009, 05:56 PM
That doesn't sound good. It happens here with regular disastrous results too - especially among the rock fishermen, the most dangerous sport in this country - with dozens killed every year.

reddog
08-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Dan there was a report on our local news of a number of people being washed off the rocks in Acadia National Park as reported on CNN. Closer to home three teenagers were washed into the water at Peggy's Cove but were either rescued or managed to extricate themselves. Higher than normal tides combined with the surge from Bill.

Earl

Tylerdurden
08-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Thunder hole had some casualty's I here.

George Roberts
08-23-2009, 08:47 PM
It appears that 2 people were still missing this evening.

PatCox
08-23-2009, 10:00 PM
I went into the surf yesterday on LBI. It looked fine until you got into it. I don't think they were 10 feet, breaking far out, and the surf was very clean, it looked harmless, you just didn't see how big they were until you were out among them.

I got out into the wash between the real break and the beach break, and then I realized it would have been absolute suicide to try to swim, with no fins, no flotation, out to the break, in my physical condition. There was no chop, no slush, the waves were breaking so cleanly, about 200 feet out beyond where I lost my comfort level. Even the spent waves were giving me a workout, if you didn't go deep when you went under to let them pass, they would roll you around, if you came up too soon, the roiling behind the waves would suck you down again. I have been swimming in the surf since I was 10, I know my limits, and what the surf can do. I can spot rips, stayed away, stayed well within my comfort zone, and had a workout.

What I was amazed at was the sheer volume of water the waves piled up against the beach. I would be in waste deep water. A wave would come through, behind the wave, it was 10 feet deep, and it just would not subside, for an unnnaturally long time.

rbgarr
08-23-2009, 10:16 PM
A guy got washed off the rocks on Monhegan Island also. Got back ashore. Lucky.

Tylerdurden
08-23-2009, 10:20 PM
7 year old girl lost, they got her but she died at the hospital

Man that pisses me off.

Nanoose
08-23-2009, 10:24 PM
What pisses you off?

Tylerdurden
08-23-2009, 10:48 PM
That someone didn't get them back off the rocks. Rangers were scrambling to do just that. From what I understand it was a family and five went in including adults. Two were pulled out from shore but it was the coasties who rescued a man an 12 year old and the girl who died.

The news footage shows dozen of idiots right out there on the rocks in Acadia. No commonsense whatsoever.

Nanoose
08-23-2009, 11:00 PM
I am sorry to hear of anyone's death in this circumstance, but fail to see why you are pissed off, i.e. why it was someone else's responsibility to get people back off the rocks.

WX
08-24-2009, 12:24 AM
No matter how many signs you put up or how many times you warn people not to do something, there are those that will still ignore the signs and what you say.

Tylerdurden
08-24-2009, 06:32 AM
I am sorry to hear of anyone's death in this circumstance, but fail to see why you are pissed off, i.e. why it was someone else's responsibility to get people back off the rocks.

When I was younger a small child wandered into the street and was struck and killed. The mother was shopping and allowed the child to wander the store until he decided to run into city traffic.
Her response was "its gods will" that pissed me off too.

rbgarr
08-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Here's a short video of the Thunder Hole at Acadia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmEP34pGYac

It's my understanding that the people swept overboard were standing within the guardrail on the rocks. I don't know whether the stairs had been roped off to prevent people from going down there. Most people have little idea of the power of alot of fast-moving water, so I don't think verbal warnings are sufficient.

Greg Nolan
08-24-2009, 07:43 AM
A Park Service ranger interviewed on the television news this morning stated that the Thunder Hole observation area was closed, that the family was not in that area, but was swept off nearby rocks.

S B
08-24-2009, 11:14 PM
What amazes me, don't people realize that the reason there is no vegetation on the rocks, is that the sea has washed it all off, and standing on them, the same will happen to you. The Gov.posts the wrong signs, they should read" Leave your I D in the bin provided and we will notify next of kin."

rbgarr
08-25-2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/117444.html

downthecreek
08-25-2009, 12:00 PM
What amazes me, don't people realize that the reason there is no vegetation on the rocks, is that the sea has washed it all off, and standing on them, the same will happen to you. The Gov.posts the wrong signs, they should read" Leave your I D in the bin provided and we will notify next of kin."

Makes me think of a real notice on a beach we used to visit as children where there was a dangerous undertow.

If you swim here, you will probably be drowned