PDA

View Full Version : Project 19

Shang
08-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Anybody know anything about Project 19...?
One of my uncles was involved in this as a civilian aircraft mechanic in Africa. His daughter, my cousin, has asked if I can find more information.

I've Googled it and have found a few references like this:

"...At a secret meeting held at the War Department November 19, 1941, it was decided that the United States would establish an air base at Gura, Eritrea to support the Royal Air Force in the ongoing battle with Rommel'sAfrika Korps in Libya. Being outmanned and outgunned, the RAF was taking heavy casualties while Rommel pushed ever closer to Egypt. Five days after the inception of the Gura project, Rommel's armor plunged into Egypt and it was only the persistence of the RAF which forced a retreat. But the price of temporary victory was paid in damaged aircraft. A repair depot was urgently needed to keep the RAF flying. The location in Eritrea was sufficiently removed from the combat zone to be safe from ground attack, yet close enough that damaged aircraft could be shipped down the Red Sea, repaired and returned to the fighting with minimal delay. Since the United States was still nominally neutral, the base was to be staffed by civilians and managed by Douglas Aircraft Corporation. Its highly-classified designation was Project 19..."
http://www.kagnewstation.com/history/chapter2/index.html

Shang
08-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Bump...