PDA

View Full Version : Dorkus Maximuses

Paul Pless
08-23-2009, 02:59 PM
But Jesus there's a lot of slow drivers in the left lane on the interstate today.

Thread title actually comes from the fact that I've run out profanity on my way home to michigan:(

Captain Blight
08-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Speed limit ain't but 65. And you'll save gas if you slow down.

Have you considered riding bike?:)

Paul Pless
08-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Have you considered riding bike?:)Not since I got my drivers license.

Tylerdurden
08-23-2009, 03:45 PM
You need to read up on the original traffic laws sometime.
It seems they were based on all traffic keep right except to pass.

Just like several here many drivers cannot grasp the basics.

Here in Maine on the Highways its posted and on 295 its posted about every two miles the whole length. Still morons think gliding along in the left lane is their god given right. Its more dangerous than speeding
as lines of cars bunch up behind them just inviting the impatient to make a mess of it. If traffic enforcement were not about revenue and really about safety you would see it strictly enforced.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Truck drivers never run out of profanity Paul.
I had a bumper sticker that said, "horn broke, watch for finger"!

Tom Galyen
08-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Drive in the left lane in Illinois and you could get a ticket. The law was passed a couple of years ago, but I've not heard of anyone being ticketed for it. The idea is if a cop sees you travel more then a few miles in the left lane without passing anyone, he can cite you for improper lane usage since that lane is for passing only. Again, I've not heard of anyone being so cited.

Milo Christensen
08-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Is Paul driving through the heartland of the bible belt on a Sunday? Those folks are all headed to the nearest Cracker Barrel for Sunday dinner

Captain Blight
08-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Thread title should be Penes maximii

LeeG
08-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Paul, this is America you know the rules. Right lane is for merging and passing. Middle lane is for trucks, texting and meal time. Left lane is for going long distances, cruise control, where no one is going to surprise you on the left and you can see everything on the right passing you.

You've been driving long enough to know the rules.

Tom Galyen
08-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Lee,

If your driving on a normal interstate with two lanes which is the proper one for texting? Also, near large cities there may be four lanes or more, which is proper for texting, and cell phones there? Also is there one favored above others for playing computer games on your cell phone such as Call of Duty?

Lastly which lane is the proper one to use while keeping your eyes and ears glued to your GPS so you don't miss the next turn or POI?

An enquiring mind wants to know. :) :)

Wayne Jeffers
08-23-2009, 08:06 PM
You need to read up on the original traffic laws sometime.
It seems they were based on all traffic keep right except to pass.

Just like several here many drivers cannot grasp the basics.

Here in Maine on the Highways its posted and on 295 its posted about every two miles the whole length. Still morons think gliding along in the left lane is their god given right. Its more dangerous than speeding
as lines of cars bunch up behind them just inviting the impatient to make a mess of it. If traffic enforcement were not about revenue and really about safety you would see it strictly enforced.

IMO, it depends upon how fast they are going and how much traffic there is. If they’re in the left lane of half a four-lane expressway and going the legal speed limit or better, no one should have a reason to complain unless the right lane has plenty of room to safely pull over. This is especially true if the road is congested and all lanes are essentially “full” of traffic, as is often the case.

If they’re driving well under the speed limit in the left lane, essentially causing a rolling roadblock, when they could pass and pull over, there’s no excuse for it.

In Ohio, it is legal to pass on the right when there are two or more lanes moving in the same direction. In some states, I believe this is illegal.

I don’t know if Paul has been in Michigan long enough to develop the local driving habits, at least judging from those cars I see here with Michigan plates and my limited experience driving in Michigan. I expect Michigan drivers (Indiana and SC, too) to travel the speed limit plus 25 or 30. If that is the case, he should stuff his complaints. No one has a right to drive 25 or 30 over the legal limit.

At my age, I generally cruise in the right lane at about the speed limit or 5 over. When I pass, I move on around – I do not linger in their blind spot – and pull back to the right lane ASAP. Most cars seem to travel at the limit plus 10 or 15, many at plus 20 or more. I do my best to stay out of their way.

I feel much more threatened by speeders on the highway than I do folks cruising in the left lane. I feel even more threatened by idiots who want to drive one car length behind me at 70 mph, or pull in front of me by only that length after passing. Most of all, I feel threatened (and aggravated) by idiots talking on cell phones while driving.

If someone wants to drive well over the speed limit, they should drive in the middle of the night. You can drive pretty much as fast as they want and have basically no worry about law enforcement. There’s also much less traffic (fewer innocents to kill.)

Wayne

The Bigfella
08-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey... its the law here

http://163.189.7.150/trafficinformation/trafficfacilities/trafficsigns/images/r6-29_small.gif