PDA

View Full Version : Idiots and Cell phones........

paladin
08-22-2009, 03:38 PM
On the way to clinic this morning.....we were stopped at an intersection...double lanes all around......my driver started to move and I yelled "hold it"...African American kid, about 15...barreled through the red light from our left, steering his bicycle with one hand, the other holding the cell phone to his ear and he was moving as fast as he could pedal.....
The idiot to our right was a bit impatient and floorboarded it...in an F250 truck......total wipe out time.

On the way home....three other's almost happened...some idiot coming from the opposite direction couldn't wait for a car to pass and made a turn directly across the left hand lane and was nailed by the fellow in front of us, another decided to pass on the shoulder...was in a big hurry to get home...speed limit is 50 mph there...we were doing 55, and is regularly patrolled when the idiot passed...just as the car in front of us switched lanes to make a right hand turn..that feller went rabbit hunting through the fence.

pcford
08-22-2009, 04:33 PM
On the way to clinic this morning.....we were stopped at an intersection...double lanes all around......my driver started to move and I yelled "hold it"...African American kid, about 15...barreled through the red light from our left, steering his bicycle with one hand, the other holding the cell phone to his ear and he was moving as fast as he could pedal.....

Bicyclists are one of my major bitches...Totally disregard of traffic laws except when they _have_ to stop. More dangerous are the boy racer types in synthetic fabrics and colors which have never appeared in nature. Here Seattle they are totally lawless. They ride on the streets or sidewalks as they wish. I saw a guy going above the speed limit of 30 on a sidewalk! This could totally kill or cripple a person. . Bicyclists insist on their rights vis-a-vis cars...but could care less about doing the same for pedestrians. Met a guy a couple weeks ago who was hit by a biker...in pain for three years. Bike boy just rode off. gf has a friend who was crippled by a bicyclist. In forty years of living in this town, I have never seen the police bust one of these guys

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
08-22-2009, 04:42 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/8197430.stm Weymouth gets one.

pcford
08-22-2009, 04:55 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/8197430.stm Weymouth gets one.

That's a start. I assume I could translate the
English "pavement" as being sidewalk in merkan English.

Bicycle laws here are out of touch with reality...they presume there are 8 year old riding bikes.

Long, long ago, I was riding a bike from my aunt's mother's house in Walton on Thames over to Hampton Court...I was going over a bridge on the Thames...went on the pedestrian walkway...a passing motorcycle cop gave me a hard look which informed me that this was not to be done.

Rich VanValkenburg
08-22-2009, 04:56 PM
I always thought STOP signs were for everybody, including bicycles. Same thing happens here Chuck. No regard for the cars or trucks or stop signs, or nuthin. My guess is they're daring someone to hit 'em so they can sue for all the gold.

As for fast bicycles on the sidewalks, I almost had a sister between myself and my brother. Bicycle took out Mom and she lost my sister.

Phillip Allen
08-22-2009, 05:13 PM
didn't we have a thread a while back which talked about the misunderstood/mistreated bikers?

botebum
08-22-2009, 05:41 PM
didn't we have a thread a while back which talked about the misunderstood/mistreated bikers?Actually, I think the thread pushed the issue of bikers' responsibilities to follow the law. Doesn't matter ... I'll still end up smooshing one of the stupid ****s someday because they tend to be stupid. When's the last time you saw a rear view mirror required on a bike? If they make the dumbass left and I turn them into hamburger ... why's it my fault? Why does my insurance increase? Because all the friggen pantywaists want it that way. Screw'em. If I hit a biker because it was his fault then he can rot in the road.

Doug

TerryLL
08-22-2009, 07:03 PM
As a regular bike rider I have to agree with all of the above. There are idiot car drivers on cell phones and idiot bikers, but the worse by far are the idiot bikers on cell phones. Fortunately, many idiot bike riders receive the Darwin award.

Two solutions: A national ban on cell phone use while driving, and mandatory training and licensing for bike riders. I don't see either happening any time soon.

Captain Blight
08-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Reading these threads has urged me, in a small way (got a ways to go, yet), to be a more considerate cyclist. I *do* stay off the sidewalks, i use bike lanes when they're available (and have been known to cycle a few blocks away to get on a street that has a bike lane). My personal policy is to treat stop signs as yield signs if I can see for a block in each direction, and to not dart out in front of traffic. I don't run red lights, but I do tend to treat them more as stop signs, where if it would be safe for me to cross on foot (Jaywalking, I guess) I'll just go. At night I ride with two headlights, one blinking, one steady, both on the forks so they illuminate the reflector as it passes; a red blinky on the back of my helmet; a blinky light beneath my seat; and blinking lights in each end of my handlebars, as side-markers. Sometimes a red blinky on my chest, too. I look like the Las Vegas Strip on Christmas. Ninja cyclists are dumb.

I really think that most of the problem stems from that urban development in much of the US and Canada exactly coincided with the rise of the automobile; that, and that the laws in most municipalites are geared toward regulating a 9-year-old with a Schwinn Krate. There has got to be some compromise whereby cyclists and cars can share the road with a minimum of resentment on each side. I'd just like the fact that I'm not polluting, or taking up a full lane, or a whole parking spot, while I ride to work, to be publicly recognized by maybe allowing me to test for (and pay for) the right to ride a little aggressively in downtown traffic. That'd be worth like $30 a year and maybe a little license plate for the bike. Ya folla?

Bruce Hooke
08-22-2009, 07:25 PM
When's the last time you saw a rear view mirror required on a bike?

They make rear-view mirrors for bikes but they work even less well than on a car. At best a rear-view mirror on a bike gives you "negative" information (there is a car so I should not turn) but they can't tell you for sure that there is NOT a car coming. JUST AS ON A CAR, you should not trust that you have seen everything you need to see in a rear-view mirror before making a move. Many car drivers put way to much trust in rear-view mirrors. If you do not have the flexibility and will-power to actually turn your head a look before you make a turn or change lanes you should not be riding a bike OR driving a car.

There are plenty of idiots on bikes (I am particularly irked by the cyclists who blithely ride against the flow of the traffic, cut the wrong way down one-way streets, and so on), but there are also plenty of idiots in cars who assume that nothing smaller than a full size car is or should be on the road. To hell with bicyclists, motor-cyclists, moped riders, pedestrians, etc.

I am reminded of the comment on the other thread about cyclists passing stopped cars on the right. If drivers want to complain about that, they should also abide by not passing cyclists on the left in a no-passing zone. As that is not likely to happen...

In the end, almost any collision with a car is likely to leave a cyclists injured or killed while leaving the car driver totally unhurt. So, when in doubt I am going to side with the cyclists as long as the cyclists was not acting like a complete idiot. The idea that cyclists are daring someone to hit them so they can file a claim only makes sense if the cyclists also has suicidal inclinations. As the number of people in society who desire to commit suicide is pretty darn small...

seanz
08-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Ninja cyclists are dumb.

Thankyou, I'll be using that.

There are many, many Ninja cyclists in NZ.......

pcford
08-22-2009, 07:45 PM
So, when in doubt I am going to side with the cyclists as long as the cyclists was not acting like a complete idiot.

Of course, cars should obey the law regarding bikes. The problem is that bikers act like idiots much of the time. Totally unpredictable. Imagine a car doing the same things that a bicyclist gets away with.

I was down in Eugene OR recently. As you may know it's a crunchy granola kind of place. At a three way stop a bicyclist actually yield to my car without it being necessary to do so for safety reasons. Never happen around here.

Captain Blight
08-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Really? I did that not two hours ago. Maybe it was just Minnesota Nice but the lady with right-of-way waved me through. I just smiled, shook my head, and motioned for her to go. She went. I went. No ruffled feathers.

pipefitter
08-22-2009, 07:57 PM
It seems that modern cars have more blind spots than they did 20 years or so ago. Side view mirrors don't allow you to see the area most important when changing lanes etc like they used to and enough people want to cruise along side of you right in that spot, while also blocking the line of cars that have gathered behind them as they drive along totally unaware of what they are creating in their electronically induced stupor. I mean, at some point, don't they look in the rear view and feel like a total moron?

Tylerdurden
08-22-2009, 07:59 PM
I am still waiting for them to shift GPS so I can watch cars driving through fields and playgrounds and many here running aground.

Bikes are a non issue with west coast mirrors. Just have to readjust them after wiping residue off.;)

Captain Blight
08-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Bikes are a non issue with west coast mirrors. Just have to readjust them after wiping residue off.;)Attitudes like that get people a mouthful of tobacco juice across their windshields. Hope ya got a lot of tissues.

Actually, my weapon of choice in downtown traffic is a police whistle. A long blast on that thing and anybody doing anything thinks the whistle is for them and it at least wakes them up, which is all I'm after. Sometimes I have to blow it when I'm right next to their open window, to their alarm and my amusement. Thankfully that's only about twice a year.

PeterSibley
08-22-2009, 08:24 PM
The thread started talking about a 15 year old kid being hit by a F250 ....total wipe out time....to quote Chuck .A boy ! :(You are a hard hearted mob of bastards sometimes .

Spend the whole thread pissing on cyclists ,didn't any of you ever do anything stupid as a 15 years old ???:eek:

Self congratulating mob of old men .

Captain Blight
08-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Wait, the kid got hit? Didn't pick up on that. Sonofa.....

PeterSibley
08-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Read it .

Tylerdurden
08-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Sometimes I have to blow it when I'm right next to their open window

Isn't that called dogging?:rolleyes:

stevebaby
08-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Bicyclists are one of my major bitches...Totally disregard of traffic laws except when they _have_ to stop. More dangerous are the boy racer types in synthetic fabrics and colors which have never appeared in nature. Here Seattle they are totally lawless. They ride on the streets or sidewalks as they wish. I saw a guy going above the speed limit of 30 on a sidewalk! This could totally kill or cripple a person. . Bicyclists insist on their rights vis-a-vis cars...but could care less about doing the same for pedestrians. Met a guy a couple weeks ago who was hit by a biker...in pain for three years. Bike boy just rode off. gf has a friend who was crippled by a bicyclist. In forty years of living in this town, I have never seen the police bust one of these guysThe fastest sprinters in the Tour de France would be lucky to hit 40 mph...with a team of lead out riders to assist them, and for short distances on a clear road. I doubt many riders are physically capable of exceeding 30mph on a sidewalk.
The local cops set up a speed trap across the road from my house pretty regularly. I like to sit on the front porch and watch them catching speeding motorists. I've never seen them catch less than 20% of drivers exceeding the speed limit. A speeding car is obviously very much more likely to kill or injure a pedestrian than a cyclist.
IIRC, in the last 10 years in Australia, there has been 1 death of a pedestrian caused by a cyclist. In the same period (roughly) there were around 1200 deaths of pedestrians caused by motorists.
I'm sure that in the USA, there are far more pedestrian deaths and injuries caused by motorists than cyclists. Feel free to prove me wrong if you care to look up the figures.
I couldn't even begin to count the number of times that motorists have opened their doors in front of me, forced me off the road, turned in front of me without indicating or cut in front of me and suddenly braked or in other ways behaved unpredictably, but it's pretty much every time I get on my bike (daily).Likewise the number of times pedestrians have suddenly stepped in front of me on the roadway.
I've survived 40+ years of cycling by treating every motorist as a dangerous fool.
Each of the motorists who hit me while cycling left me lying injured on the road, and were never apprehended.

Tylerdurden
08-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Each of the motorists who hit me while cycling left me lying injured on the road, and were never apprehended.

I left on Quantas shortly after.:D

stevebaby
08-23-2009, 11:01 AM
I left on Quantas shortly after.:DDeported?

Tylerdurden
08-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Deported?

Nope, they understand I have to come see my kids at some point.

I sent them west coast mirrors for Christmas last year.;)

George Roberts
08-23-2009, 11:52 AM
The thread started talking about a 15 year old kid being hit by a F250 ....total wipe out time....to quote Chuck .A boy ! :(You are a hard hearted mob of bastards sometimes .

Spend the whole thread pissing on cyclists ,didn't any of you ever do anything stupid as a 15 years old ???:eek:

Self congratulating mob of old men .

I agree with PeterSibley.

Aside from getting a one sided view of the incidents of the day, many bicycling incidents are not what they appear.

It is embarrassing that drivers don't drive well around bicycles. It is embarrassing that bicyclists don't drive well around motor vehicles. Some times it is fatal. Most of those times no one is really at fault.Just a bunch of small (but as it turns out fatal) mistakes.

George Jung
08-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Re: post #9 - agreed. But.... I did see it well done - in London. I don't know what the accident stats are, but there is a large, vibrant community of cyclists commuting to work, and there is a dedicated lane for their travel. Inspiring.

The unfortunate truth about cycling (motorized or other) is that in any encounter, the cyclist loses, as does a pedestrian. I ride with the idea that 1) I'm invisible 2) everyone else is trying to kill me.
I call these my TylerDurden Defense plans.:p:D

Debating who the greatest offenders are - it doesn't matter. You can't cure stupid.