PDA

View Full Version : Inglorious Bastards

Larks
08-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Anyone else seen it? I had no idea what to expect - hadn't heard any reviews/adds but went to see it tonight............ .............hmmmmmm.......very Quentin Tarantino, still not too sure what to make of it...pretty much my reaction to most QT films...which I think must mean I liked it....I certainly won't forget it...but....errr...I think I have to think about it a bit more...err....I think..!:rolleyes::o

Captain Intrepid
08-22-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm looking forwards to seeing it. I think the main thing to take into consideration when going to see Tarantino, is that he's a bit of a hack, and he revels in it. It's why I enjoy his films so much. He goes overboard just enough.

Michael s/v Sannyasin
08-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Well, two points about Tarantino, he's a film buff, so, whenever he delves into a particular genre, he knows how to do it justice (ie, the Kill Bill, martial arts, slash-em-up, or quasi-sci-fi Grindhouse/Planet Terror).

Second thing, is that he's a sick-f@#K misogynistic bastard.

You can enjoy the one thing, if you can overlook the other thing... or not. It's just film.

pefjr
08-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Don't go Ish. This is good entertainment. Hollywood uses "shock" to entertain if the story line is not very good, sorta like mediocre comedians use poo-poo humor. This has shock violence like never seen before, at least I have not seen anything this violent. I wonder if it will open in Germany. Jews will love this fantasy. I liked it, the wife was shaking her head saying pretty much the same as you, Larks.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-23-2009, 12:28 AM
The word for this is "decadent".

Its not a compliment.

This is sick trash.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-23-2009, 02:10 AM
Goebbels was an expert on cinema, a fine critic, and made some good films.

I'd put Tarantino some way below him.

WX
08-23-2009, 03:11 AM
This is modern Dirty Dozen movie isn't it?

PeterSibley
08-23-2009, 03:32 AM
Well it must have some merit our ABC TV film review just gave it a 4 out of a possible 5 ...and they mark hard .

WX
08-23-2009, 03:35 AM
I looked at the promo and thought to myself that if they had actually done that the German reprisals against the French would have been horrific.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-23-2009, 04:28 AM
Time will tell. I don't sense an agenda in Tarentino as with Goebbels. An interesting note that came out during the Rose interview was that the only film maker who wasn't under Goebbel's thumb during the Nazi period was Leni Riefensthal. God, those are hard names to spell. LOL.

Leni Riefensthal was not under Goebbels' control because she had a direct line to the Fuhrer; no other reason.

Goebbels considered her crude. He really was a great loss to Hollywood.

Tarantino's agenda is to shock; his films are just the modern version of Sam Peckinpah's shock violence films, like "Straw Dogs" - equally meaningless - which have sunk without trace, having been so fashionable in the 1970's.

PeterSibley
08-23-2009, 05:33 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2642583.htm

A review .

Larks
08-23-2009, 06:19 AM
I haven't read any reviews, fortunately I think, so it is interesting reading these comments and I can't disagree with any of them, which is to say that a variety of views are correct, which is why I think I do actually like the film - it makes you think, the gore is superfluous. Interestingly, the film very closely involves Goebels and, although I may be analysing it too much, it is very interesting to consider the many layers that he has managed to weave into the film.

Controversially, I think that he has tried to include an analogy between the Jews and Nazi's to the present day Islamic terrorism activity. Exploitation of extreme views and beliefs and so on. Though the verdict is still out here on the success of that, I'm interested to know if anyone else got that impression.

skuthorp
08-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Quote pefjr: "Jews will love this fantasy.Jews will love this fantasy."

In fact there was a secret unit of Jewish commandos called "X Troop" recruited in 1941 from mainly jewish German refugees. Most had family in concentration camps. They changed their names, Alfred Samson of Hamburg called himself Percy Shelley, Peter Masters (Peter Arany) wrote a book called 'Striking Back". They were often sent in raids behind lines to take prisoners and did 3 secret landings at Normandy to identify minefields.
Of the 87 personell there was a 50% casualty rate.
Here's a link to the man himself
http://www.questia.com/library/book/striking-back-a-jewish-commandos-war-against-the-nazis-by-peter-masters.jsp (http://www.questia.com/library/book/striking-back-a-jewish-commandos-war-against-the-nazis-by-peter-masters.jsp)

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic-video/971458/40556/Peter-Masters-veteran-of-Number-3-Troop-Number-10-Commando

Larks
08-23-2009, 07:14 AM
Sku, I may be drawing a long bow but I had the feeling that QT was trying to present an analogy between those Jewish commandos with a purpose/motivation for "striking back" and those that exploit such a motivation and Islamic terrorism today.

skuthorp
08-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Of course, but it's interesting that there was a factual precedent. There's no doubt that the founders of the modern Jewish state learnt a lot from their persecutors, and their geographic location means that there is alway only one shot. Makes them very dangerous for any local oponent.

bamamick
08-23-2009, 07:59 AM
I will never see another one of his films. I saw 'Pulp Fiction', and though it was interesting it was a little over the top for me.

Like everyone else, when I go to see a movie it is to escape for a little while into someplace I'd want to be or someone's life I'd be interested in. Pulling the last five movies I have bought off of the shelf they are:

The Edge of Love (about a love triangle between Dylan Thomas and two women during WWII).
The Old Curiosity Shop
Defiance
The River King
The Reader

Not exactly light entertainment, any of them, but interesting stuff for the most part.
I am just not a Quinten Tarantino kind of guy.

Mickey Lake

boylesboats
08-23-2009, 09:02 AM
been seeing it on television commerical.. I think it going to be fun one to see...

By the way.... I already seen Inglorious Bastards (1978) long ago... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cGaYDwpXf4

You meant new released Inglorious Basterds (2009)

Tylerdurden
08-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Seeing as most Americans get their history from the movies this film fits right in.

Never liked cartoons or comics so no money will be coming from my direction.

pefjr
08-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Seeing as most Americans get their history from the movies this film fits right in.

Never liked cartoons or comics so no money will be coming from my direction.What, did Scot give you permanent perimeter guard duty with no movie pass?

Tylerdurden
08-23-2009, 09:35 AM
What, did Scot give you permanent perimeter guard duty with no movie pass?

Last movie I saw was the International. It was pretty good and way more true to life than anything Tarintino has made.

Benjamin Button was good too along with Defiance. Those were worth the coin.

jerryrichter
08-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Leni Riefensthal was not under Goebbels' control because she had a direct line to the Fuhrer; no other reason.

Goebbels considered her crude. He really was a great loss to Hollywood.

Tarantino's agenda is to shock; his films are just the modern version of Sam Peckinpah's shock violence films, like "Straw Dogs" - equally meaningless - which have sunk without trace, having been so fashionable in the 1970's.

I just finished reading Lili Marlene, a history of the song and its part in WWII. The composer who put a WWI poem to music in 1938 was also the composer of background music for Goebells films. His way of staying out of the army. The book is very good and includes much information of the importance of that song not only to the German troops but to the Allies as well. It was used by Radio Belgrade, heard all over Europe and in the UK, at 2157 each night as their sign off.

pefjr
08-23-2009, 05:03 PM
[quote=skuthorp;2296616]Quote pefjr: "Jews will love this fantasy.Jews will love this fantasy."

Here's a link to the man himself
http://www.questia.com/library/book/striking-back-a-jewish-commandos-war-against-the-nazis-by-peter-masters.jsp

Thanks, looks good, will get it.