This is the computer model, Halifax doesn't look too good

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200903_model.gif

Hwyl
08-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Another view

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200903_5day.gif

HR
08-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Nor does it look good where we are in Stonehurst (southwest of Halifax, sticking out a good ways). We're going to haul "Meander" (our Eun Mara) and put Malolo out on the mooring and hope for the best. We'll tie down everything else. Hopefully the storm will take a turn to the east and spare us.

High C
08-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi Gareth!

reddog
08-21-2009, 04:53 AM
Gareth, Enviroment Canada is forecasting 2 metre swells along the coast today with Bill skirting the mainland late Saturday into Sunday. After Juan our emergency services have taken a greater interest in these storms and provided earlier warnings. Looks to be a windy and wet couple of days. As Howard said we are tying stuff down and hoping for an early recurve to the East.

Earl

Tylerdurden
08-21-2009, 05:32 AM
I put the word out on the welfare fleet thread that if anyone is within a days sail of Wicscasset Me. I can arrange a mooring for them at the Yacht club. Its well protected up river.
You can e-mail me at Tylerdurden1961@gmail.com

Lets all blow and fart east and keep the storm away from land.

Hwyl
08-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Hey Jack. Welcome Mark

Big swells predicted here too (swells travel faster than the storm does). I sail in a very protected area and we should be O.K/

Keeping all digits crossed for Nova Scotia. The Eastern seaboard has pretty cold water this year, which should sap some energy.

Tylerdurden
08-21-2009, 05:54 AM
I and many others will be monitoring 14.300 USB during the storm on HF and if someone needs to hide out we are VHF capable at the club.
I think my boat has better range but either way we can talk someone in.

Tylerdurden
08-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Looking at the track this morning and Bill isn't turning like it was supposed to. Cape cod is in a watch/warning now and it looks like a direct hit for our Canadian friends. If she doesn't turn soon it may come pretty damn close to shore here. Have to double check my pendant today.

Bruce Hooke
08-22-2009, 03:16 PM
I believe Cape Cod and the islands are under tropical storm warning...with winds in the 30-40mph range and gusts to 45mph. Enough to cause some damage but fortunately not a full-on hurricane.

Best of luck to folks up in the Maritimes. If this is anything like the hurricanes I've been through in Maine it is not likely to be any worse than winter storms that come through every year, the big difference being that when the winter storms come calling things are already generally pretty well buttoned down, whereas in the summer there are boats in the water, gardens growing, and lawn furniture and suchlike out and about.

Ian McColgin
08-22-2009, 03:36 PM
I'll admit it's pleasant to have an extra day to be idle in Hambug Cove. Mostly swimming.

botebum
08-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Do I have to come up there and teach you guys how to throw a hurricane party? :D
Best of luck to all affected.

Doug

Ian McColgin
08-22-2009, 06:32 PM
It's down to Cat I. Good news.

Tylerdurden
08-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Do I have to come up there and teach you guys how to throw a hurricane party? :D
Best of luck to all affected.

Doug

Nope, had them at sea, In Fl and a couple of spots southeast of there. Best Hurricane party's are at sea in the middle of the blow.;)

StevenBauer
08-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Good luck this afternoon, Howard. Fingers crossed.

Steven

bamamick
08-23-2009, 08:01 AM
My fingers are crossed, as well. Big seas, from what I understand? Hope those moorings hold for you guys.

Mickey Lake

Mrleft8
08-23-2009, 08:17 AM
My fingers are crossed, as well. Big seas, from what I understand? Hope those moorings hold for you guys.

Mickey Lake From what I just heard from the Cape, seas are only up about 4'.

reddog
08-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Just arrived back from walking the dogs.Bill is sliding up the coast bringing lots of rain and gusty winds. Nothing too serious here but the tide in Mahone Bay will be high in about 40 minutes so there may be some damage there and along the coast. We have had very high tides all week also so that won't help. Howard, (HR), is a bit more exposed down in Stonehurst so hopefully they are well battened down. Right now the rain is pissin' down with gusts I would estimate around 60 kph.

Earl

HR
08-23-2009, 09:17 AM
We're just about at high tide now and our wharf is just under water which is about 18" higher than what the high tide should be. If it starts dropping before the real surge hits we should be ok. According to our weather station (http://www.howardanddonna.com/homeweather1.html) the biggest gust has only been 29 knots so far.

Our Eun Mara "Meander" is on the mooring out front and is bouncing around quite a bit but she's safe. Our big boat "Malolo" is on a friends mooring in a more protected cove. And in a really unusual twist, Lunenburg has lost power while we still have ours!

Hwyl
08-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Good luck

Tylerdurden
08-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Yes, good luck guys. I hope it is minimal.

We dodged it completely here and its sunny and nice. I have to go install the lazy ass outboard today and go sailing for a couple of days.

reddog
08-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Howard, I thought you were going to haul the Eun Mara out? 29 knots sounds about right for here also, it's not really too bad except we have the top off an old white pine across the power line to the house which bent the entrance mast. Still have power, touch wood.
Yesterday we dropped an extra 300 # mooring in the Back Harbour of Lunenburg for a friend's houseboat. It has a lot of windage so we thought it best to take precautions.
My brother is on his boat in Trellis Bay, BVI and had Anna pass to the West last week and Bill to the East this week with no major effects so he has dodged two bullets. Lots of fun.
Stay safe.

Earl

HR
08-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Earl, when our friend offered us his more protected mooring in South Stonehurst for Malolo, that freed ours up for Meander. I really didn't want to haul Meander out because if she wasn't high enough for the surge we'd be in real trouble.

Is your friend's houseboat the one with the trailer "inside"?

reddog
08-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Yup. Built by "Uncle" Billy Risser. Glassed over plywood pontoons with the trailer set on the cross frame and "flying bridge" constructed around and over that. My friend's son has taken it on so that leaves it to him,( the dad), to maintain. Definitely not a sea boat but a great camp.

Earl

StevenBauer
08-24-2009, 06:31 AM
What's the news Howard and Earl? Everything OK? I guess the worst of it was mid afternoon yesterday.

Steven

HR
08-24-2009, 03:15 PM
It was (fortunately) a non-event. We only saw winds of 30 knots, although there were huge crashing waves where the swell hit the shoals outside our cove. The water was about a foot and a half above a normal high high tide and just lapped above our wharf. We did collect about a foot of eelgrass and rockweed on the wharf which Donna is harvesting for her garden!

We had no damage, although our power went out at about 7pm (long after the winds had settled down) and didn't come back on until about noon today. Now we're busy undoing our storm preparations.

reddog
08-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Steven, everything good here too. I had a tree top across the power lines but other than a bent service mast, nada. The houseboat fared ok also although it apparantly had a rough time of it. Good to hear all is well with you and Donna, Howard. It could have been a nasty one.

Earl

mmd
08-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Maureen, the dog & I took a hike out to Rose Head yesterday afternoon after the hurricane passed. It was pretty impressive - you could see the spray from the waves hitting the rocks of Hell Point from a couple of miles away, over the treeline. This is indicating that the spray was 50 - 70 feet high. There is a vid on U-tube (I can't locate it as such things are blocked by our office server) that show wave spray going over the top of the lighthouse at Peggy's Cove. The pics below are taken at the tip of Rose Head, the southern arm of land that forms Lunenburg Bay, and about three or four miles south across the bay from HR's place. The break is about twenty feet high - the cliffs are about fifty feet high. The low-frequency roar was very impressive...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/mmd_ns/HurricaneBillsurfatRoseHead1.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/mmd_ns/HurricaneBillsurfatRoseHead2.jpg