PDA

View Full Version : Cheney:The Dark Side of the Farce.

seanz
08-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Might be illegal, might be corrupt......definitely wasn't a success.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/cia-outsourced-assassinations-20090820-es17.html

CIA 'outsourced assassinations'

Joby Warrick, Washington
August 21, 2009 - 12:00AM

A SECRET CIA program to kill al-Qaeda leaders with assassination teams was outsourced to Blackwater USA, the controversial private security contractor, according to two former intelligence officials.
The North Carolina-based company was given operational responsibility for targeting terrorist commanders in 2004 and was awarded millions of dollars for training and weaponry, but the program was cancelled before any missions were conducted, the officials said.
The assassination program - revealed to the US Congress in June by CIA director Leon Panetta - was launched in 2001 as a CIA-led effort to kill or capture top al-Qaeda members using the agency's paramilitary forces. But in 2004, after briefly terminating the program, agency officials decided to revive it under a different code name, using outside contractors, the officials said.
''Outsourcing gave the agency more protection in case something went wrong,'' said a retired intelligence officer intimately familiar with the assassination program.
The plan to kill al-Qaeda leaders was thrust into the public spotlight in July, shortly after Mr Panetta briefed members of two congressional panels about the program. Mr Panetta told House and Senate leaders that he had only recently learned of the program and, upon doing so, had cancelled it.
He told lawmakers that he thought they had been inappropriately kept in the dark about the plan - in part because former vice-president Dick Cheney had directed the CIA to hide the program from Congress.
The CIA yesterday declined to comment about Blackwater's alleged involvement in the program, which was first reported on the website of The New York Times. Efforts to reach Blackwater for comment were unsuccessful.
Agency officials defended Mr Panetta's decision to terminate the effort and notify congressional overseers.
''Director Panetta thought this effort should be briefed to Congress, and he did so,'' CIA spokesman George Little said. ''He also knew it hadn't been successful, so he ended it. Neither decision was difficult.''
The House intelligence committee has launched an investigation into whether the CIA broke the law by failing to notify Congress about the program for eight years. Current and former agency officials have disputed claims by some Democratic lawmakers that the withholding of key details of the program was illegal.
''Director Panetta did not tell the committees that the agency had misled the Congress or had broken the law,'' Mr Little said.
''He decided that the time had come to brief Congress on a counter-terrorism effort that was, in fact, much more than a PowerPoint presentation.''
Blackwater USA, which has changed its name, most recently to Xe Services, and is based in North Carolina, in recent years has received millions of dollars in government contracts, growing so large that the Bush administration said it was a necessary part of its war operation in Iraq.
It has also drawn controversy. Blackwater employees hired to guard US diplomats in Iraq were accused of using excessive force on several occasions, including shootings in downtown Baghdad in 2007 in which 17 civilians were killed. Iraqi officials have since refused to give the company an operating licence.
WASHINGTON POST, NEW YORK TIMES

So, the header should read 'CIA gave away money to Cheney's pals' not 'CIA outsourced assassinations' but is this what will get Cheney?
Or will he be able to hide behind the 'invisibility shield' that he tried to set up with the whole outside the executive branch boondoggle?

Remember folks.....it's too embarassing to send the Bushies off-shore for a trial.....it'll have to be done at home.

PeterSibley
08-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Blackwater is water with sh!t in it isn't it ?

Captain Blight
08-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Is there a statute of limitations on subversion of the Constitution? Or would this fall under the heading of "treason during time of war?"

bobbys
08-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Might be illegal, might be corrupt......definitely wasn't a success.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/cia-outsourced-assassinations-20090820-es17.html

So, the header should read 'CIA gave away money to Cheney's pals' not 'CIA outsourced assassinations' but is this what will get Cheney?
Or will he be able to hide behind the 'invisibility shield' that he tried to set up with the whole outside the executive branch boondoggle?

Remember folks.....it's too embarassing to send the Bushies off-shore for a trial.....it'll have to be done at home..

Heres what i saw.

C.I.A. Sought Blackwater’s Help in Plan to Kill Jihadists

By MARK MAZZETTI
August 20, 2009
WASHINGTON — The Central Intelligence Agency in 2004 hired outside contractors from the private security contractor Blackwater USA as part of a secret program to locate and assassinate top operatives of Al Qaeda, according to current and former government officials.
Executives from Blackwater, which has generated controversy because of its aggressive tactics in Iraq, helped the spy agency with planning, training and surveillance. The C.I.A. spent several million dollars on the program, which did not successfully capture or kill any terrorist suspects.
The fact that the C.I.A. used an outside company for the program was a major reason that Leon E. Panetta, the C.I.A.’s director, became alarmed and called an emergency meeting in June to tell Congress that the agency had withheld details of the program for seven years, the officials said.
It is unclear whether the C.I.A. had planned to use the contractors to actually capture or kill Qaeda operatives, or just to help with training and surveillance in the program. American spy agencies have in recent years outsourced some highly controversial work, including the interrogation of prisoners. But government officials said that bringing outsiders into a program with lethal authority raised deep concerns about accountability in covert operations.
Officials said the C.I.A. did not have a formal contract with Blackwater for this program but instead had individual agreements with top company officials, including the founder, Erik D. Prince, a politically connected former member of the Navy Seals and the heir to a family fortune. Blackwater’s work on the program actually ended years before Mr. Panetta took over the agency, after senior C.I.A. officials themselves questioned the wisdom of using outsiders in a targeted killing program.
Blackwater, which has changed its name, most recently to Xe Services, and is based in North Carolina, in recent years has received millions of dollars in government contracts, growing so large that the Bush administration said it was a necessary part of its war operation in Iraq…
You would never know it from this New York Times article, but this is the same damn CIA program that we heard so much nonsense about back in July (http://tinyurl.com/lsvvco).
Back when the Democrats and their media slaveys were desperate for anything that would take the heat off of Ms. Pelosi’s preposterous lies about the CIA.
But it wasn’t news then and it isn’t news now.
The planning for such a contingency was completely legal and completely justified.
And, it was never implemented.
Which is probably why no one was ever killed.
But The Times left out that detail, too.

bobbys
08-20-2009, 06:51 PM
It's been said that a lie is halfway around the world, before the truth even gets it's pants on.

I'd say we have a new corallary: a lie never dies, as long as there are people to feed it.

I don't know where you get your news, but Nancy Pelosi's assertion that the CIA has been lying to Congress was completely supported and substantiated by none other than Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA. Where I come from, that's called an "admission and confession"..

I say its a lie Cheny assassinated anyone

bobbys
08-20-2009, 06:53 PM
You're probably right. It clearly wasn't for lack of trying, though..

Ok thats different:D

pefjr
08-20-2009, 06:53 PM
seanz, with an old dead fish topic like that, you need no chum to catch the usual suspects.

johnw
08-20-2009, 06:56 PM
The North Carolina-based company was given operational responsibility for targeting terrorist commanders in 2004 and was awarded millions of dollars for training and weaponry

It was all about the money. Just a bit more crony capitalism.

Hal Forsen
08-20-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm curious when exactly the media replaced "civilian contractor" as the descriptive term for these people instead of the more appropriate "mercenary" or even "soldier of fortune" ?
BTW
The "company" is no longer Blackwater.
They've changed their name to Xe.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/13/AR2009021303149_pf.html
Ike was right.

Chip-skiff
08-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Mr. Cheney is a coward, a criminal, a psychopath, and a deep stain on the already spotted conscience of my home state.

(FYI, he was born in Nebraska, I think.)

Captain Blight
08-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Mr. Cheney is a coward, a criminal, a psychopath, and a deep stain on the already spotted conscience of my home state.

That about sums it up. too bad we can't just decide to declare him and his cronies persona non grata; seize their assets and their passports; then give them 24 hours to get their stink off our good American soil. A modest dream, I know; but it's my dream.

bobbys
08-20-2009, 11:17 PM

(FYI, he was born in Nebraska, I think.).

That would be like me stating Joe Biden is a coward, criminal and a psychopath.....

Wait a second.....
Never mind........

skuthorp
08-21-2009, 03:12 AM
I am amazed that a 'state' authority for lethal covert action can be transferred to a civilian commercial company. What is the status of a killing committed under these rules, murder? What is the difference between this and hiring a hit man. An old family friend now deceased was an SOE(?) assasin during WW2, but he was a member of the armed forces in time of war. What would be the status of a Blackwater employee, or indeed a Blackwater sub-contractor who may very well be a professional hit man .

Anthony Zucker
08-21-2009, 04:34 AM
When and why did "civilian contractors" get involved in combat operations?
Isnt that what we have the armed services for? I can understand civilian contractors for mowing the lawn, etc., but this is ridiculous.

All those Seals, SpecOps, green berets people should be furious that some of their alumni have joined a private firm, get paid so much more that they do and take away their reason for being.

Are there any of those people here to comment? Paladin?

martin schulz
08-21-2009, 04:43 AM
...may very well be a professional hit man .

So next time your government should hire the professionals. There should be enough of them around, perhaps a terrorist sitting in Guantanamo could be persuaded :(

Osborne Russell
08-21-2009, 02:11 PM

I say its a lie Cheny assassinated anyone

That is the merest formality since you support the government's legal authority to assassinate anyone, anytime, anywhere, and hire anyone to do it, and do it in secret, and lie about it. How would you know if he assassinated anyone?

bobbys
08-21-2009, 02:40 PM
That is the merest formality since you support the government's legal authority to assassinate anyone, anytime, anywhere, and hire anyone to do it, and do it in secret, and lie about it. How would you know if he assassinated anyone?..

I cant answer a formal fallacy,A pattern of reasoning which is flawed.

ie I "support the Government, in which its legal to assassinate anyone then lie and do it in secret therefore How would i know if he assassinated someone,?? The conclusion must be its a secret i dont know, a lie thats not true, The burden is placed on me from your invalid argument how i would know??.

If i knew its a secret how would i know???.

If i did not know Then i would conclude he assassinated millions while drunk driving...

Howaboutdis.

Tell me who he knocked off.

pefjr
08-21-2009, 02:43 PM
when charges are filed, wake me. meanwhile, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

John of Phoenix
08-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Blackwater trying to track down al Qaeda is like trying to sneak up on a cat with a bulldozer.

Osborne Russell
08-21-2009, 04:55 PM
I cant answer a formal fallacy,A pattern of reasoning which is flawed.

Aye, and the flawed pattern is your own.

You know of no wrong done, therefore no wrong was done.

The reason you know of no wrong done is that if it was done, it was as secretly as possible.

But it's beside the point when it's the right President that does it.

Try this:

1. The Consitution gives no war powers to the legislature.

2. The President is the unitary executive.

3. Therefore the President has all the war powers, and may do whatever a sovereign may do to prosecute a war, which includes, doing it in secret and lying about it.

4. Whether there's a "war" going on or not is strictly an executive decision, therefore, for practical purposes, there's always a war on, permanently.

Hooray, cries the Chimp Squad. Long live the Freedom Tribe.