PDA

View Full Version : WTF

Jim Bow
08-20-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm new here, and maybe not quite salty enough for the majority, but I have a query.
What is the nature of "the Bilge"?

My first presumption, made about 6 months ago, was that "the Bilge" was sorta like hanging around in somebody's workshop or garage.
Have a virtual coffee, maybe smoke a virtual cigar, and generally BS about love, life, and the value of Harbor Freight tools.

Instead, it seems to have become a replay of MSNBC vs FOX, filled with snarky (and I'll admit - sometimes funny) comments and remarks. Generally, however, it seems to be mean spirited in many ways, and mostly uncomfortable.

It seems to me that if face to face conversations followed the course of the tit for tat in The Bilge, it would end up with most folks going elsewhere.

Peerie Maa
08-20-2009, 01:26 PM
There are also jokes (sometimes more than others) and threads about things that don't float. It all depends on what has been happening in the world.

bobbys
08-20-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm new here, and maybe not quite salty enough for the majority, but I have a query.

My first presumption, made about 6 months ago, was that "the Bilge" was sorta like hanging around in somebody's workshop or garage.
Have a virtual coffee, maybe smoke a virtual cigar, and generally BS about love, life, and the value of Harbor Freight tools.

Instead, it seems to have become a replay of MSNBC vs FOX, filled with snarky (and I'll admit - sometimes funny) comments and remarks. Generally, however, it seems to be mean spirited in many ways, and mostly uncomfortable.

It seems to me that if face to face conversations followed the course of the tit for tat in The Bilge, it would end up with most folks going elsewhere..

Its not so bad as long as one remembers a few things.

If your a neocon your the devils spawn, Your a Nazi, A racist, you cheat at monopoly, Your a troll big time and have a plastic boat, Sarah Palin is a witch, Cheny and Bush are pure evil, You own a gun you believe in a higher power you nut job you.

However if your a Lib none of your posts are troll like, Anything Obama does is not as bad as Cheny so dont bring it up. Guns will not match our Gay outfits{not that theres anything wrong with that}.We cant understand why when we play monopoly with the reps they get mad when we take all YOUR homes away from you and give them to much needed minority voters, We deplore guns being shown in public as a show of violence but we encourage woman to yank out babies in little pieces . We all know Sarah Palin is hotter then any of our woman and it really ticks us off big time, Most of us have plastic boats but ours are still better then the reps.

pefjr
08-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Jim, you will need a pair of shoulder and knee pads and a good motorcycle helmet to shield the bombs thrown your way. If Cap't Bright is around you will need a dictionary. Tread lightly until prepared to attack. Then attack with all your weapons and go for the throat. You will need the stamina of a mule, the speed of a cat, the skill of a warrior. Good luck

bobbys
08-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Well, there ya go, Jim Bow. I think that answers your question! :p.

Ok dont get sore Rachel Maddow could be kinda hot if she lost the butch look:D

rbgarr
08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
The Bilge was a forum named Miscellaneous Non-Boat Related once. It never really was the equivalent of standing around in someone's shop chewing the fat. That's perfectly acceptable above the floorboards.

John Smith
08-20-2009, 02:28 PM

It seems to me that if face to face conversations followed the course of the tit for tat in The Bilge, it would end up with most folks going elsewhere.

It's a place where all sorts of things may be posted for discussion or sharing.

A lot is politcal conversation, which is good, as, IMO, civil political discussion/degate is a necessary part of a nation like ours, and is getting increasingly harder to find.

Two New Year's eves ago, My son-in-law and his brother got into an actual fist fight, in which both got injured, over politics. This, they did, in front of my young grandsons.

Back in May of '03, my son-in-law's dad asked me what I thought of invading Iraq, and I responded, "I think Saddam's a boil on the butt of the world, but he's got now WMD's, had nothing to do with 9/11, and poses no threat to us anytime in the foreseeable future. Our army will make quick work of the "war" part, but the "peace" will be hell. Invading Iraq will be the biggest single mistake of modern times."

He and his wife, two normally rather sedate and even tempered people were so pissed off at that opinion that they couldn't express their anger sitting, and had to stand up. In loud and angry voices they accused me of being all kinds of bad, evil things.

Never said, since that day, "Gee, you were right."

My point. It actually becomes increasingly difficult to have serious political discussions with family/friends. That makes places like this a good place to have such discussions.

John Smith
08-20-2009, 02:32 PM

Ok dont get sore Rachel Maddow could be kinda hot if she lost the butch look:D
Rachel is pretty cool. I don't agree her all the time, and look for her to ask questions she doesn't, but she is very good at taking a subject and explaining it very precisely, and connecting dots on at a time to make the necessary connections.

bobbys
08-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Rachel is pretty cool. I don't agree her all the time, and look for her to ask questions she doesn't, but she is very good at taking a subject and explaining it very precisely, and connecting dots on at a time to make the necessary connections..

I like her though i have only heard her 2 times

bobbys
08-20-2009, 02:45 PM
It's a place where all sorts of things may be posted for discussion or sharing.

A lot is politcal conversation, which is good, as, IMO, civil political discussion/degate is a necessary part of a nation like ours, and is getting increasingly harder to find.

Two New Year's eves ago, My son-in-law and his brother got into an actual fist fight, in which both got injured, over politics. This, they did, in front of my young grandsons.

Back in May of '03, my son-in-law's dad asked me what I thought of invading Iraq, and I responded, "I think Saddam's a boil on the butt of the world, but he's got now WMD's, had nothing to do with 9/11, and poses no threat to us anytime in the foreseeable future. Our army will make quick work of the "war" part, but the "peace" will be hell. Invading Iraq will be the biggest single mistake of modern times."

He and his wife, two normally rather sedate and even tempered people were so pissed off at that opinion that they couldn't express their anger sitting, and had to stand up. In loud and angry voices they accused me of being all kinds of bad, evil things.

Never said, since that day, "Gee, you were right."

My point. It actually becomes increasingly difficult to have serious political discussions with family/friends. That makes places like this a good place to have such discussions..

My wifes family are all Jewish Democrats and talk of Religion or politics is not allowed between the families.

We have all fought for the last Cannolie or hammitishen cookie though.

Glen Longino
08-20-2009, 03:38 PM
See what you started, Jim Bow?
Trouble maker!:)

Phillip Allen
08-20-2009, 03:40 PM
who's Jim Bow?

Mrleft8
08-20-2009, 03:42 PM
You need to spend more time in the PUB....... No rancor or insults (unless thrown by me, or occasionally at me) allowed.

pefjr
08-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Jim, compared to the dangers at a Little League Baseball game, the bilge is fairly safe.

Rachel is a girl?