PDA

View Full Version : Gareth- You'll just have to stop crapping in the water!

rbgarr
08-20-2009, 06:44 AM
http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=277905&ac=PHnws

They caught up with us here, too, and have designated this region a No Discharge Zone. ;)

The Bigfella
08-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Just as a matter of interest, what is their attitude towards dog and cat owners?

willmarsh3
08-20-2009, 07:16 AM
I'm really glad. I hope it gets banned everywhere. There are plenty of pumpouts and it only takes a few minutes.

All of TVA waters are a no discharge zone. Nonetheless someone discharged near my marina just before I got there last weekend. It was pretty disgusting.

Pet owners here are generally expected to pick up after them in most places.

The Bigfella
08-20-2009, 07:31 AM
I agree btw... I don't have a holding tank on the boat yet... and there isn't a pumpout facility... but a 2km round trip in the tender to the shore facilities is always the go when you have to go.... beyond the liquid, that is.

Yeah - the standard here is to pick up after dogs too.... but that probably covers 5% of what they do....

carioca1232001
08-20-2009, 07:39 AM
.........Yeah - the standard here is to pick up after dogs too.... but that probably covers 5% of what they do....

Pick up is relatively straightforward on land, but perhaps quite not so in the water !

My wife and son went on an excursion to Europe some 2 years ago and couldn´´t believe what they saw as regards dog/cat faeces strewn all over the streets in Switzerland and Spain.

Hwyl
08-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Just saw this, my crap don't smell and doesn't go in the water either

Ian McColgin
08-31-2009, 08:17 AM
I am a big fan of my AirHead. Of the two marine composting heads on the market, it appears the better made. Basicly the design seperates feces from urin so you gotta dump the tank now and then. Especially if you sail with a bunch of women. Guys (the world is our urinal) exercise the sailor's perogative over the rail anyway. The compost tank will need emptying yearly in average two person use (three days a week and a cruise or two) and more often with more use. It does not hurt to give it an extra couple hot months to cook before spreading in the garden.

Bruce Hooke
08-31-2009, 08:35 AM
The compost tank will need emptying yearly in average two person use (three days a week and a cruise or two) and more often with more use. It does not hurt to give it an extra couple hot months to cook before spreading in the garden.

The general rule I was taught when dealing with "compost" made from human waste is that you should NOT use such compost on vegetable gardens. Flower gardens and suchlike are of course fine and will benefit from this very rich compost.

Tylerdurden
08-31-2009, 08:35 AM
Use a bucket, when its full look for the biggest environmentalist in the marina and drop it in their cockpit on the way back from the mooring.

Problem solved:D

Bruce Hooke
08-31-2009, 08:37 AM
There are plenty of pumpouts...

This may be true in your area but is not true everywhere. Last I checked (it has been a while since I've had to address this issue) pumpouts in downeast Maine were few and far between. Not a problem if you have a boat that can go a few weeks between pumputs and if you are cruising and so covering a fair amount of ground, but otherwise...

Tylerdurden
08-31-2009, 08:41 AM
On a serious note I think Ian has the answer. I have heard nothing but good things about the airhead. Just wish the price would come down
Maybe a cash for crappers?

Ian McColgin
08-31-2009, 08:54 AM
Human and carnivor feces in general can spread a number of pathogens, especially coliform and such, if in contact with water. This is why a dry spot away from drainage is important in the deep woods. Human feces unmixed with fluids poses no such health hazard, especially after full composting. That said, most people with AirHeads think they will use the compost on flowers due to the squeemy-icky factor, until the see and smell the final product. It's just ultra rich peat.

Bruce Hooke
08-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Human and carnivor feces in general can spread a number of pathogens, especially coliform and such, if in contact with water. This is why a dry spot away from drainage is important in the deep woods. Human feces unmixed with fluids poses no such health hazard, especially after full composting. That said, most people with AirHeads think they will use the compost on flowers due to the squeemy-icky factor, until the see and smell the final product. It's just ultra rich peat.

The stuff I've read (and I'll admit that I have not made any detailed study of this) seems to say that while what you say may be true in theory it is rather risky in actual practice to trust that absolutely no pathogens will "slip through the cracks." Everyone I talk to who has dealt with various human waste to compost systems seems to say something along the lines of "in theory, if done right, compost produced from human waste should be safe to put on a vegetable garden, but I don't recommend it because the risks are too high."

Ian McColgin
08-31-2009, 09:42 AM
The composting system on Nantucket yields a pelatized product sold as fuel but many people use it in gardens with no ill effect. Tomatoe seeds, interestingly, survive the process and sprout in the compost beds. Health regulations forbid eating them but at least one plant manager in the past fed himself and his family on those tomatoes after doing some exhaustive testing and satisfying himself as to the safety.

Still, most will put it on the roses.

TimH
08-31-2009, 09:56 AM
Meanwhile the city of Victoria dumps billions of gallons of untreated sewage in Puget Sound every day.

Rigadog
08-31-2009, 08:28 PM
We shoot all of ours via Estes rocket into space.