PDA

View Full Version : many U.S. bank notes dusted with cocaine

Rigadog
08-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Source: BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8204857.stm)
The largest study of banknotes has found that 95% of dollar bills in Washington DC bear traces of the illegal drug cocaine.
The figure for the US capital is up 20% over two years.
Researchers at the University of Massachusetts in Dartmouth tested notes from more than 30 cities worldwide.
They say the rise observed in the US may be due to increased drug use caused by higher stress levels linked to the global economic downturn.
Bank notes can pick up traces of cocaine directly from users snorting it through rolled up bills or when cash is stacked together.
Stress factor?
Besides Washington, other big US cities such as Baltimore, Boston and Detroit had the highest average cocaine levels on their dollar bills.
Dr Yuegang Zuo, who led the research, said: "To my surprise, we're finding more and more cocaine in banknotes.
"I'm not sure why we've seen this apparent increase, but it could be related to the economic downturn, with stressed people turning to cocaine."
Other countries where notes were tested were Canada, Brazil, China and Japan.
China had the lowest rates, with only 12% of its bills contaminated.
In the US the cleanest bills were collected from Salt Lake City, home of the religious group, the Mormons.

Forget the coke - those bills have been up someone's snotty nose!!

brad9798
08-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Real addicts use a plastic straw or glass tube ... bills absorb too much product! :D

B_B
08-18-2009, 08:56 PM
when bank note counting machines 'fluff' the notes it allows powdery substances to be imparted to other notes within the entire fluffed batch, not just the notes next to the 'carrier' note - the more times notes get fluffed the greater the dilution and subsequent spread of 'infected' notes.

Coke residue on notes used to be grounds for confiscation of the notes as a proceeds of crime issue - I don't think it is any longer as no-one who has a few (older well used) bills in his (older well used) wallet has a wallet free of coke residue.

Glen Longino
08-18-2009, 09:51 PM
I just snorted all the bills in my wallet.
Didn't feel a thing!:)

B_B
08-18-2009, 10:50 PM
shoulda added that 20's and 100's have a much higher rate of residue than 1's and 3's...:p

JimD
08-18-2009, 10:58 PM

Did you chop them up with a razor on a mirror first?

Glen Longino
08-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Did you chop them up with a razor on a mirror first?

Dangit, I knew I forgot somethin!

JimD
08-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Dangit, I knew I forgot somethin!

Yup. That probably explains it. You can't absorb all the coke if you just snort the bills whole.

S B
08-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Whould Salt Lake City have been on the bottom of the pile if they dusted the bills for hookers?