PDA

View Full Version : This drives me nuts!!!

GregH
08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
The wife and I want to start getting our hundreds (thousands?) of slides put on DVD's. So this afternoon I dragged them out along with our sorter- a sheet of plastic with a light behind- and our old (1980's) Bell & Howell "Cube" projector. Turned on the projector, and everything worked fine, except for the rotating disk that carries the slides to the light. So I took it apart and, to make a long story short, found that the only defective part is the final PLASTIC gear that drives the disk. It has several teeth that have been worn down to nubbins. Now this little gear, with all of 10 teeth, is supposed to drive the disk, which has several hundred teeth. I'd like to meet the genius designer who thought (or more likely didn't care) that the little gear would wear out sooner that the disk. Even more, I'd to punch the nose of the bean-counter who told the designer that a brass gear would cost 50 cents more than the plastic one, and so he should not use the brass one. To paraphrase an old quote, "For want of a 50 cent brass gear, the projector was lost..."!

Milo Christensen
08-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Shouldn't take very long to make a small 10 tooth gear.

brad9798
08-18-2009, 08:31 PM
... or find one on ebay.

Canoez
08-18-2009, 09:20 PM
That small gear (or one almost exactly like it) is probably available from Berg, PIC or Small Parts. Check online or PM me.

BETTY-B
08-18-2009, 09:50 PM
I cant help but think of this pirate joke every time I see your thread title:

A pirate walks into a bar, and the barkeep says "Excuse me, cap'n, but did you know that you've got your ship's wheel stuck in your pantaloons?"
"Aye," says the pirate, "that thing be drivin' me nuts! Aaargh!"

Pardon, couldnt help it...

DAN