PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth.

Katherine
08-18-2009, 01:10 PM
I've managed to get my hands on some old Webster's dictionaries. These are the big thick ones. I'd have to look for sure, but they may even be multi volume. The new house is eating up money left and right. I'm thinking about selling them. ANyone have any idea what such things are worth?

Phillip Allen
08-18-2009, 01:14 PM
look up the defination of Gay. If it isn't the current PC version then the whole book is wrong...it must be burned...for your own good

Katherine
08-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Seems a shame to use them just to light the fireplace with.

rbgarr
08-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Like encyclopedias, they aren't worth much anymore because of the internet... unfortunately.

Phillip Allen
08-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Seems a shame to use them just to light the fireplace with.

ya got more than one? I keep old dictionaries for the purpose of noting the subtle corruption of the original intent and just because I enjoy words

look up book collector/book finder/bibliophile on the internet...

John Smith
08-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Antiques are stange things. Priceless when you want to buy one, worthless when you want to sell one.

Books can have good value, depending upon their condition.

peter radclyffe
08-18-2009, 01:37 PM
do you have enough to drop a folkboat keel on http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Keith Wilson
08-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Here's a good source for used books (http://used.addall.com/); it's a meta-search engine which combines a lot of different used book dealers' sites. You can search for the particular edition and see what they're asking for them. I doubt Dictionaries would be very valuable, but I could be wrong.

bobbys
08-18-2009, 01:40 PM
I've managed to get my hands on some old Webster's dictionaries. These are the big thick ones. I'd have to look for sure, but they may even be multi volume. The new house is eating up money left and right. I'm thinking about selling them. ANyone have any idea what such things are worth?.

A dream of mine is to have a library in my house with dark wood paneling and a cigar humidifier and a smoking jacket handy.

I would be like Ward Cleaver having the Beaver come in for some fatherly advice.

If the Beaver wanted to know about Germany or wood ducks i could reach over , Grab the Dictionary and answer him.

But alas my wife sez its her spare room and she painted it all foo foo pink colors.

So i have no dream there but i have a woodshed.

Pirate-at-heart
08-18-2009, 01:46 PM
I use this site (http://www.bookfinder.com/) to calculate approximate values of antique books in my collection (http://s716.photobucket.com/albums/ww167/lambentdream/?action=view&current=P5130005.jpg).

Keith Wilson
08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
A dream of mine is to have a library in my house with dark wood paneling and a cigar humidifier and a smoking jacket handy.
Damn right! Also pipe tobacco in a Persian slipper on the mantel, and V.R. (for Victoria Regina) written in bullet holes in the wall!

Henning 4148
08-18-2009, 01:55 PM
It's normal that a new house is attacking your finances - there are things that must be done and there are things that should be done and there are things that don't need doing but you'd like done.

If it's a problem - make a list together with Paul and only do the things that must be done for the moment. Once they are done - do the "need to be done". Leave the "like to be done" to the end. We still have things on the "need to be done" list as well as on the "like to be done" list - and we bought close to 10 years ago ... We did the roof only last year - it needed doing, but we had the "must be done" areas of the roof patched the first and second year and so the roof had moved from the "must" into the "need" list.

Especially the first weeks and months after moving in, there are a lot of things you find out you need - but it slows down after some time. Prioritize, don't overstretch. If you can and it makes sense - do it yourself. But accept, that a new to you old house will take time to sort and adapt to your needs and wants. I think we spent close to two years planing the kitchen - too many doors, window, chimney, location of availability of fresh and waste water - all had to be taken into account. We discussed with many many friends and visitors. In the end - we knew what would make sense in that room. It works very well for us and was not to complicated to put in place. Bringing the fresh and especially the waste water connection to a not suitable place in the room would have meant big big surgery to the whole house. That is to be avoided on an existing house if at all possible as it ads a lot of cost.

I guess it's easy to spend 1/3 or 1/2 of "new built cost" on an old house for modifications - repairs have to be done, no question, but with the modifications, live with the old status for some time and then decide if you really want to spend the money for the modifications. Don't rush modifications. In principle., accept the layout of your house as is. Don't move walls.

Take your time, think a lot, think of everything you got, for you will still be here tomorrow ...

bobbys
08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Damn right! Also pipe tobacco in a Persian slipper on the mantel, and V.R. (for Victoria Regina) written in bullet holes in the wall!.

:D Ok well i never thought about that but i did think of hiding a few playboys under the building code books.

SMARTINSEN
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Save one at least, and you can use it for a riser in the baby chair.

P.L.Lenihan
08-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Does it have anything about anchor rhodes? :)

Cheers!

Peter

Nanoose
08-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Or anchor roads, for that matter? ;)

May be time to have the 'kept man' head back to work? :eek: :)

David W Pratt
08-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Sell them to the gun enthusiasts.
See, .38s only get to G, .357s get to P.
Good luck.

Katherine
08-18-2009, 03:32 PM
May be time to have the 'kept man' head back to work? :eek: :)There are steaks in freezer and beer in the fridge if he ever decides to get out of the kennel.:rolleyes:

Milo Christensen
08-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Sell them to the gun enthusiasts.
See, .38s only get to G, .357s get to P.
Good luck.

Barrett .50s turn the whole book into confetti.

paladin
08-18-2009, 04:27 PM
and a Lahti 20mm will take out the entire stack.

Captain Blight
08-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Damn right! Also pipe tobacco in a Persian slipper on the mantel, and V.R. (for Victoria Regina) written in bullet holes in the wall!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD, KEITH!!!!

lol

I have an 1895 edition of Webster's. i used it, a few months ago, to look up the difference between "uncivil" and "incivil." to my surprise, I found out that uncivil pertains to locations: "uncivilized." Incivil refers to personal rudeness. I think this makes incivil one of the remaining uses of the locative case in the English language.

To me, that's totally worth the $.50 I paid for it at a yard sale years ago.

Keep the dictionary. Baffle your enemies, amaze your friends.

Kaa
08-18-2009, 04:41 PM
There are steaks in freezer

Blasphemy!

Frozen steaks are no longer steaks :D

Kaa

BrianW
08-18-2009, 04:56 PM
There are steaks in freezer and beer in the fridge if he ever decides to get out of the kennel.:rolleyes:

Forget about Paul.

I'm on my way.

:D

Keith Wilson
08-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Hey JR, you really ought to read The Art of Detection (http://www.amazon.com/Art-Detection-Kate-Martinelli-Mysteries/dp/0553804537)by Laurie King

Tracey
08-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Are the spines attractive?
If they are you may want to hang onto them even if they turn out to be worth little money.
Books do furnish a room and thick books will keep your stacks straight in the absence of bookends.

The Bigfella
08-18-2009, 05:44 PM
There are Webster's Dictionaries worth nothing, and others worth many many thousands of dollars.

It would pay to research the editions, pub dates, bindings etc.. It's all online.

Donn's being subtle, I think he's asking Katherine out on a date to a pub here.

boylesboats
08-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Hummmm,
Glue all the pages together, cut out a shape of something like a derringer..
Great hiding place for loaded guns ready for use...

Oop! why am I tellin' Katherine this.. :eek: Sorry Paul.... my bad:o

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
08-19-2009, 02:42 AM
Hummmm,
Glue all the pages together, cut out a shape of something like a derringer..
Great hiding place for loaded guns ready for use...

Or a rock hammer.
http://www.channel4.com/film/media/film/1m/S/shawshank_redemption_xxl_01.jpg

Mrleft8
08-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Frozen steaks?:eek: No wonder he's staying down at the kennel.....Food's prolly better! ;)