PDA

View Full Version : if I were to drive to Alaska

Phillip Allen
08-18-2009, 11:14 AM
which route is the best for scenery and inexpencive travel as well...I suspect the bulk should be in Canada but what about the Alcan?

Pirate-at-heart
08-18-2009, 11:37 AM
well, this site (http://transcanadahighway.com/)seems to give an overview of scenic attractions along the canadian national highway system, so it might be a good place to start.

Take me along dude, and I'll pay for all the tofu-burgers you can eat along the way.

Phillip Allen
08-18-2009, 11:44 AM
well, this site (http://transcanadahighway.com/)seems to give an overview of scenic attractions along the canadian national highway system, so it might be a good place to start.

Take me along dude, and I'll pay for all the tofu-burgers you can eat along the way.

I'm not much of a meat eater...but I do eat meat...you can have your bean puss if you want...and come along if you want...might be a lota fun...I can call you yankee and you can call me hill billy

BrianW
08-18-2009, 12:03 PM
I've got a 2008 copy of the "The Milepost" here if you want it. It's a mile by mile break down of the Alcan, the Cassiar route, and various routes to the start of the Alcan.

I'd say do the main Alcan on the way up, then take a ferry from Haines to Bellingham and see the Inside Passage.

PM your address, and I'll sent the book, even if just for dreaming.

ccmanuals
08-18-2009, 12:26 PM
"Milepost" is the Bible for any one driveing the AlCan. Take Brian up on his offer.

TerryLL
08-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I've driven the Alcan twice, sailed the Inside Passage once, and taken the ferry once. If there's any way you can swing it, drive to Bellingham and take the ferry. Relaxing, scenic, and yes, you can take your guns.

B_B
08-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I'd say do the main Alcan on the way up, then take a ferry from Haines to Bellingham and see the Inside Passage.
great suggestion.

SMARTINSEN
08-18-2009, 02:27 PM
We set up our tent on the sun deck of the ferry from Bellingham to Haines. It was a great party atmosphere with all of the others. It was in July, and the weather was great.

But I would also strongly consider the driving route to go through Banff and Jasper. You could go that way and pick up the ferry in Port Rupert. Or you could continue your way through Dawson Creek and White Horse.

I wanna go too.

Nanoose
08-18-2009, 02:30 PM
No, no, no! If you're coming as far as Bellingham, you have to see Vancouver and Victoria....THEN take a ferry north.

Phillip Allen
08-18-2009, 04:52 PM
looks like a woodenboat car pool...

jack grebe
08-18-2009, 07:09 PM
looks like a woodenboat car pool...
I got a great idea...........................

let's all go

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050823/pun1.jpg

TerryLL
08-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Count me out. Been there, done that, got the broken windshield and the six flats (I drove the Alcan before it was paved, twice).

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
08-19-2009, 02:27 AM
I've driven the Alcan twice, sailed the Inside Passage once, and taken the ferry once. If there's any way you can swing it, drive to Bellingham and take the ferry. Relaxing, scenic, and yes, you can take your guns.

Oh really? I've always wondered how to do that if I ever went north to live off the land or just spend time in the wilds, and would need or want a gun along. I expect it's pretty sticky going through Canada in that circumstance. Good info. Still have in the back of my mind, re-barreling that BLR long action to .375 Ruger for that ethereal trip to Alaska.

BrianW
08-19-2009, 02:32 AM
That Bob,

No need for a gun to travel to Alaska, or even to visit.

Just come on up.

BrianW
08-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Count me out. Been there, done that, got the broken windshield and the six flats (I drove the Alcan before it was paved, twice).

Reminds me of the time we flew from Kodiak to Anchorage, with return tickets on the Trusty Tusty (Alaska Marine Highway ferry) for the 4 of us and 1 truck. Except I had no truck, just plans to buy one in Anchorage and bring it back.

After looking around, good old Worthington Ford (of Long Beach Ca. fame) hooked us up with a 1985 F150 extended cab with shell. That was around 1994, so the truck was already old. No need for a new truck in Kodiak.

Anyhow, the windshield was cracked, and some city rule required them to replace it before they could sell it.

(We spotted it in their back lot, looking very sad. :) )

So with the brand new windshield we headed down to Homer to meet the ferry back to Kodiak. Somewhere between Soldotna and Homer, a passing truck kicked up a rock and smacked the windshield hard enough to make a nice star and the beginnings of a new crack.

Ah well... such is life, even in the civilized part of Alaska.

TerryLL
08-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Ah well... such is life, even in the civilized part of Alaska.

And what part would that be?

Phillip Allen
08-19-2009, 08:17 AM
And what part would that be?

Flat, Alaska

TerryLL
08-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Flat, Alaska

Flat, Alaska. Population 4.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/16599573.jpg (http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/16599573.jpg)

Phillip Allen
08-19-2009, 08:36 AM
If you're nice, I'll tell you where their city-limit sign is :)

TerryLL
08-19-2009, 08:57 AM
OK, I'll be good. Where is it?

Phillip Allen
08-19-2009, 09:03 AM
OK, I'll be good. Where is it?

somewhere in Arkansas... :)

TerryLL
08-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Those poor folks in Flat, wandering about in an endless search for their town. The shame!

Phillip Allen
08-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Those poor folks in Flat, wandering about in an endless search for their town. The shame!

net even a very large town...the same wooden sign served for both sides of town