PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand made bronze winches

Andrew Porteous
08-18-2009, 03:10 AM
I have a NZ built boat, Bruce Clark 37, which was built in Whangarei in 1977. It has a beautiful pair of 3 speed bronze self cleating sheet winches. They are stamped "W.A.C NZ 0" and are about 12cm diameter. Problem is that whilst I can partly dismantle them and lubricate the gears, I have been unable to discover how to remove the drum to get at the shaft bearings. Can any of you Kiwis perhaps help?

John B
08-18-2009, 04:54 AM
Any chance of a photo Andrew. I wonder if its a Wilkie variant.
How do you make the three speed function ?( special handle?)

anything like this?
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/Waione_photos/Cruise%2009/IMG_2487_1.jpg

they have a cap screw in the winch handle socket on the smaller ones . That big one has a boss around the handle socket which unscrews by way of a tool that looks a bit like an angle grinder blade removal spanner. I use two pins and a screwdriver across them

Ena_II
08-18-2009, 07:24 PM
I am intreagued with your cockpit dodger design.

Have you any other photos. My boat has entry from the bridge deck and I have been looking for a less obtrusive dodger than the full cabin width one I have.

John B
08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Its just a little walking frame with a cover ,Ena. makes it a little safer getting in and out. I can't have a proper dodger with the bridgedeck and I don't want to chop it.
Evidentally , I don't take photos of it :rolleyes:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/Waione_photos/misc%2009/5ae549f7.jpg

Andrew Porteous
08-19-2009, 04:26 AM
Re my 3 speed winches. There is a knurled disc on top which is turned to change from 1:1 to 4:1. Reverse is 12:1. There is also a non-standard handle, hexagon drive. The winch is not self tailing but has cleats on top so is in effect partly self tailing- just have to re-cleat after each turn. Will post a photo when I work out how (no success yet).

hansp77
08-19-2009, 09:15 AM
There are some good posts around, that often get quoted and reposted, about how to post photos - do a search and no doubt you will find one of them soon.
Basically, you use a image hosting site (free),
you make an account and upload your images, and then simply copy and past the appropriate html code into the reply window.
Some forums allow you to upload images so the forum hosts them, but woodenboat like the majority of them do not (aside from maybe some very low res thumbnails?)

I use photobucket (http://photobucket.com/) (is a link, click on it) and really like the service.
Once you have signed up with a image hosting site (there are a few of them, though I like photobucket) with a little experimenting you should be able to figure it out- otherwise try the search for the posts I mentioned talking about it- and if that fails, just ask again about what you can't figure out and I or someone else will no doubt help you.

Hi, and welcome by the way:)
Hans.

Andrew Porteous
08-23-2009, 03:03 AM
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx149/Andrewport/th_2009_0820winch0003.jpg This is the winch marked "W.A.C. NZ 0"
3 Speed. Knurled disc changes ratio from 1:1 to 4:1. Reverse is 12:1
I can remove the top and service gears but cannot remove the drum to fully service the shaft bearings. Any clues?

Andrew Porteous
08-23-2009, 03:14 AM
Thanks for your help John and Hans. Cheers, Andrew

John B
08-23-2009, 04:50 AM
I put threads up on the CYA and Crew sites Andrew, someone will know them I expect.

John B
08-25-2009, 04:45 AM
Steve Pope from the crew site said this Andrew.

W.A.C. stands for Whangarei Alloy Castings, Jim Bates ran a foundry and machine shop at Mc Leods bay. He also made a wind propellor driven yacht that was around for years, fastest point of "sail" was directly into the wind. They are great winches and I would only consider pulling one down if it is not running freely. I know of one yacht that cruised (World) for 25 years and never had a problem and never stripped theirs. That being said they are a bit of a nightmare if you do decide to pull them down as they have a crowded roller bearing system, so as you dismantle the rollers just fall out. There are several different lengths (and I think diameters)so you have to note as you go as which belongs where. When reasembling the rollers are held in with grease and a piece of cotton thread tied around them.
Jim died quite a few years ago so the likelyhood of parts being available is non existant. The rollers though were cut from lengths of (I think) silver steel and that should be available from any good engineering shop.

dibee
03-10-2011, 07:11 AM
John B is correct - they are made by Jim Bates who is my Father.
I even stamped the 'W.A.C' on some of these winches!
And yes he did design and make several windmill yachts which I had the privilege to sail on many times.
He was an inventor with 100's of patents to his name... I have been told some of these still exist!
His first was when he was 9 inventing a 'Honey Extractor' for his Dad to use to seperate the wax from honey on their bee farm 'Bates Honey' in Matamata.
So impressed was his Dad with this device he drove him straight to the patent office!
He also travel to the South Pole with Sir Edmund Hillary's expedition from Scott Base by tractor to the Pole in the 1958. Sir Ed told me that Dad was the most amazing engineer he had ever had the pleasure to meet and work with.
He even went to Japan in the 1950's c/- the NZ Dairy Board to show them how to make clear plastic buttons using the by product of dairy products 'casein' that he invented as well.... discovered by whipping the product up with my Mum's kitchen blender!
I also want to point out that my father is very much alive and will turn 87 soon. Unfortunately he has Alzheimers and the most brilliant mind and man that I have ever had the privilege to know is lost to this terrible disease : (
I would really love to get hold of one of his winches to keep as a 'family heirloom'. Does not need to be in working order. I can be contacted at diann@creativefruition.com.au... as I live in Perth, Western Australia but I do get back to NZ from time to time. Hope you were able to repair your one Andrew. To give you some idea he would have stopped making them approx 28 years ago! And he probably starting making them about 20 years before that! And I have heard of ones that are still operational today.

Wooden Boat Fittings
03-10-2011, 07:41 AM
A bit of history come to life....

Welcome, and thanks for contributing, Dibee. Good luck in your search for a family heirloom.

Mike

floatingkiwi
03-11-2011, 10:40 AM
John B is correct - they are made by Jim Bates who is my Father.
I even stamped the 'W.A.C' on some of these winches!
And yes he did design and make several windmill yachts which I had the privilege to sail on many times.
He was an inventor with 100's of patents to his name... I have been told some of these still exist!
His first was when he was 9 inventing a 'Honey Extractor' for his Dad to use to seperate the wax from honey on their bee farm 'Bates Honey' in Matamata.
So impressed was his Dad with this device he drove him straight to the patent office!
He also travel to the South Pole with Sir Edmund Hillary's expedition from Scott Base by tractor to the Pole in the 1958. Sir Ed told me that Dad was the most amazing engineer he had ever had the pleasure to meet and work with.
He even went to Japan in the 1950's c/- the NZ Dairy Board to show them how to make clear plastic buttons using the by product of dairy products 'casein' that he invented as well.... discovered by whipping the product up with my Mum's kitchen blender!
I also want to point out that my father is very much alive and will turn 87 soon. Unfortunately he has Alzheimers and the most brilliant mind and man that I have ever had the privilege to know is lost to this terrible disease : (
I would really love to get hold of one of his winches to keep as a 'family heirloom'. Does not need to be in working order. I can be contacted at diann@creativefruition.com.au... as I live in Perth, Western Australia but I do get back to NZ from time to time. Hope you were able to repair your one Andrew. To give you some idea he would have stopped making them approx 28 years ago! And he probably starting making them about 20 years before that! And I have heard of ones that are still operational today.

What a great guy. Amazing accomplishments. I am so sorry to hear of a condition like this, claiming someone, or anyone, so special. I wish for the rest of his time with you, to be ,peaceful and happy. Good luck mate.

dibee
04-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Just letting you all know that my Dad past away a couple of weeks ago... there is already another thread covering on this forum.
So lovely to see so many comments from people about his amazing life : )
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?128861-Kiwi-legend-dies