PDA

View Full Version : Helo halos in Afghanistan

htom
08-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Michael Yon posts another photo essay about combat helicopters, those who fly them, and those who depend on them. I'm not sure this belongs in the Bilge, should I have used People & Places?

The Koop-Etschells Effect (http://www.michaelyon-online.com/the-kopp-etchells-effect.htm)

I'll raise a glass for them tonight.

switters
08-17-2009, 03:41 PM
I'll raise one with you.

LeeG
08-17-2009, 05:34 PM
thx for the post. Amazing photos and narrative.

BrianW
08-17-2009, 05:44 PM
I've never witnessed the effect to such a degree.

Thanks for the great link.

WX
08-17-2009, 05:49 PM
On August 11, I attended a small ceremony for a British soldier from this base in Helmand who was killed in combat the day after Benjamin passed. His name was Joseph Etchells. I was told how Joseph died in a bomb ambush, and that his last request was to be cremated, loaded into a firework, and launched over the park where he used to play as a kid. When Joseph’s last request was explained, I burst out laughing and the British soldier who told me also was laughing. The absurd humor of Joseph’s request was familiar, and it was as though Joseph were standing there with us, laughing away.

Thank you Htom. The Kopp-Etchells Effect is a fine name for it. I had no idea there was such an effect but it makes sense...high speed blades and static charged dust particles.

SMARTINSEN
08-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Yet the effect of Corporal Kopp did not end on the battlefields of Afghanistan; he only regrouped and continued to serve. Corporal Kopp had volunteered as an organ donor and his heart was transplanted. Two days after most people would have died, Benjamin Kopp’s heart was transplanted into Judy Meikle. According to the Washington Post, Meikle said,"How can you have a better heart?" said a grateful Judy Meikle, 57, of Winnetka, Ill., who is still recovering from the surgery. "I have the heart of a 21-year-old Army Ranger war hero beating in me."

Concordia...41
08-17-2009, 08:23 PM
An excellent photo essay. Thanks!

If you scroll almost to the bottom, there is a section that asks for donations. Making a donation brings up additional gems:

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/thank-you-for-your-support.htm