PDA

View Full Version : write the dems

John Smith
08-17-2009, 08:06 AM
just sent the following via
http://www.democrats.org/page/s/contactissues

I'm extremely disappointed in how this is going, and the lack of honest debate on the part of BOTH parties. Medicare, though often used by both sides, is never pointed out as covering the age group with the highest per capita health needs, with the possible exception of the VA and military health care, which are treating wounded soldiers from two wars, also never pointed out.

I have a great deal of trouble supporting any reform that still puts healthcare on the backs of employers. It's totally out of sync with the notion of improving our economy by making our industries competitive. How can our industries be competitive if we don't get health care for their employees off their backs?

A major part of this, which the dems have missed, is educating the people. First, I, and the other citizens, pay for ALL health care as a taxpayer or as a consumer. Every time I buy a stamp, I'm paying for the health insurance of the postal employee, who, by the way, has the same insurance options as members of congress. I have the same Blue Cross options my congressman has; they're not so great.

One of the high costs of health care is directly due to the staff required to deal with all the different insurance companies. Single payer would end a lot of that.

Even reform within the present system seems limited to the examples of pre-existing conditions preventing one from getting insurance, companies not being able to drop you because you are sick, or we should be able to shop across state lines.

While the first two are good, the third item is an illusion. I live in NJ. If I shopped and bought insurance in SC, how would I find an in network provider in NJ? Ludicrous idea.

In our present system, there are numerous, and never mentioned, problems with our present system. For example, one can find an in network surgeon, have the operation performed in an in network hospital, then get bills from various providers within that hospital that are NOT in network. Also pre-certification is not always within the ability of the patient to do, and it seems to exist solely as a means of letting the insurance company not pay its normal share.

I find it impossible to reconcile the notion of wanting our businesses to be competitive with those of other countries and keeping health insurance connected to one's job.

Also, questions that are not ask anger me greatly. When we are told of all those Canadians coming south for health care, no one asks how they pay for it. I doubt they can use their travel insurance for scheduled procedures, so when they cross the border into this country, they have no health insurance. Why is this never addressed?

What has been documented over the years is people here going into Canada to get their prescriptions filled, as it's cheaper there. This begs the question: why is a pill manufactured in Nutley NJ cheaper to buy in Canada than in New Jersey?

My suggestion, which I hope will get serious consideration, is to divide all of this into two pieces of legislation. First piece of legislation would simply address the rules of the current system by eliminating the pre-existing condition problem, the termination when one is sick problem, change the pre-certification rules, and insure that if the hospital is in one's network, everyone provider in it is also in one's network.

I expect if these are done, very few in the public will not be pleased.

Then, in a separate piece of legislation, we can debate on how to include everyone, how to pay for it, and maybe make some better progress as the debate will focus on fewer points.

Site lets you opine or ask questions on wide variety of issues.