PDA

View Full Version : Britain begins to reestablish its colonial presence?

Paul Pless
08-17-2009, 07:46 AM
I would've thought they'd have chosen bigger fish than the Turks and Caicos, but you gotta start somewhere I guess...;)

Who do ya think is next?:eek:

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Coming from the nation that invaded Grenada, that's rich!

Actually, dear boy, the Turks and Caicos are a colony - we just got fed up with corruption in the local government and re-established direct rule - see also Northern Ireland in the 1970's, and more amusingly...Anguilla, which, in the 1960's, actually rebelled against St Kitts and Nevis, was invaded by the Metropolitan Police (I kid you not) and suceeded in its aim which was to remain a British Colony and not to become independent!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Anguilla#Recent_history

skuthorp
08-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Maggie Thatcher started it. She sent several gunboats too, and a nuke sub!

Paul Pless
08-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Maggie Thatcher started it. She sent several gunboats too, and a nuke sub!God... she was awesome wasn't she.:D

skuthorp
08-17-2009, 09:07 AM
"Of course it will probably take a while for them to get the hang of cricket"
I wouldn't mention cricket at the moment, there's a chance that the US could raise a team from it's sub continent and Carribbean diaspora that would beat the present sorry lot hands down. And who'd want the America at present, all that debt and stuff. Anyhow the Chinese and Indians own them already.

bamamick
08-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Look at photos of Nassau when the Brits were in charge, and walk around there now, then tell me how they (the people of the Bahamas) are better off? I know this is opening a can of worms, but in some cases (where there is not enough of a tax base present to support a proper infrastructure) it might be better to be a colony than independent.

jmo Mickey Lake

skuthorp
08-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Down in the Falklands they think so, (SWMBO's family is from there). The 'war' and subsequent military and tourist investment has done the local economy a power of good.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-17-2009, 09:22 AM
If you live in a place that gets devastated by volcanic eruptions, being a colony is a very good plan...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montserrat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tristan_da_Cunha

Art Read
08-17-2009, 09:29 AM
"Coming from the nation that invaded Grenada, that's rich!"

"Maggie Thatcher started it."

"God... she was awesome wasn't she."

"Down in the Falklands they think so"

The Grenadians seem rather pleased too, Andrew.

paladin
08-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I must have missed that bit of news, Andrew...But whatcha gonna do when the Governer is also the head drug runner.....I remember that when they came aboard that they were more interested in the ammo that I had for my pistol....they were a bit short on 9mm and they decided that I had excess stock and were going to confiscate everything above 40 rounds......I decided to leave rather than go ashore. They also took great interest in the dual sideband radios, cameras and binoculars.....

jonboy
08-17-2009, 10:05 AM
God... she was awesome wasn't she.:D

No, basically. .... clever, focused, ambitious maybe, but she was a divisive, destructive, self-centred self-aggrandising stubborn piece of worthless **** to any one with one miniscule iota of social conscience and awareness of what is good for the population as a whole, which is what politicians are for, I would have thought...elected and re-elected by default... nearly 70% of the electorate didn't vote for her...notable achievements ....?
polarizing the nation like nothing since the second war,
removing free milk for school children as S of S for Education and Science
Instrumental in demolishing grant assistance principles to further education for lower income families.
Dismantling the mental home system turning any number of psychopaths and schizos out onto the streets to rape and murder...sounds melodramatic but true.
creating and encouraging the 'I'm all right fuck you Jack ' mentality
Dismantling public rural transport services.
Privatisation generally of core essential services, utilities etc.
War mongering
Dismantling or creating the political climate for destroying albeit wobbly national industries, coal steel, auto, ...
'Privatising' aspects of the NHService, leading to standards of health and hygiene that has led to today's MSRA and cross-infection epidemic, by entrusting fundamental maintenance and cleaning services to her sycophantic get rich quick business classes who couldn't care about anything except the contract.
Having as a best pal, a man whose chosen pastime was pushing opponents out of helicopters above the ocean, and then protecting him from the due legal processes by harbouring him.
None other than the 20C's second most vile personality, Augusto Pinochet...
That alone merits pushing her out of a helicopter.
I wonder what she would have done for Mengele and old Adolf...

Well yes , I suppose that is awesome.

There's going to be some parties when she goes that's for sure...might even pay a visit to Old Blighty just for the craque...
They'll be queuing for hours to snip off a length on her grave.

Paul Pless
08-17-2009, 10:39 AM
maybe satire is lost on the portuguese

Paul Pless
08-17-2009, 10:45 AM
kinda like to keep Ozzie too

oh... and all those british engineers that work for Roger Penske

jonboy
08-17-2009, 11:05 AM
maybe satire is lost on the portuguese

Maybe but probably not in Portuguese..... they have a great literary tradition, mostly less well known only as so few people speak it... well apart from Brazil Angola Mozambique Goa Diu Timor Cabo Verde and satire is a thing of national characteristic...
My parents couldn't find anything funny in Rowan and Martin's Laugh in, and I don't know how often I've been asked about The Office or Little Britain....

PP, I took your remark in the context of this thread... no vocal inflection, no facials, and when I returned I saw that little green face thing...
It's frightening how many people make that remark and satire ain't in their vocab.... JB

Peerie Maa
08-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Jonboy,
I have to dis agree with your critique of Lady Maggie,

I don't think she was all that clever.

Do you remember why our pound coin is nicknamed a "Thatcher"?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Because its thick, brassy, and not worth much.:o

Peerie Maa
08-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Because its thick, brassy, and not worth much.:o

Nearly,

"Thick brassy and thinks she's the Sovereign":p

Peerie Maa
08-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Maggie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGEBLcKD3Ec)

paladin
08-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Speaking of the Portagee...Prince Henry was a neat dude......

jonboy
08-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Speaking of the Portagee...Prince Henry was a neat dude......

...otherwise known as Henry the Navigator...(not Portagee from Tortilla Flat) the founder of the first known school of navigation and seamanship in Sagres.
I dare say the Phoenicians and others would have something to say of that, though.

WX
08-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Maggie Thatcher started it. She sent several gunboats too, and a nuke sub!
http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2289991)

Reminds me of these lines by Roger Waters:
brezhnev took afghanistan
begin took beirut
galtieri took the union jack
and maggie over lunch one day
took a cruiser with all hands
apparently to make him give it back