PDA

View Full Version : Interesting car project. V10

Stiletto
08-17-2009, 04:32 AM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4515333 (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4515333)

The Bigfella
08-17-2009, 05:38 AM
Nice one.

Saltiguy
08-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Done a bit of hot rodding in my day, but this build is awsome. Way beyond anything I've seen. Must be an absolute beast on the road.

JimJ
08-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Would it tow my Hartley?

Henning 4148
08-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Nice one. Impressive. Very impressive.

I am sure it accelerates well (once the tires get a grip) and has a top speed way beyond what is necessary anywhere.

Only question left would be - how does it do on bendy, curvy roads? British country roads? Mountain roads? I guess it's very much a highway car with all the weight on the front axle.

But - absolutely impressive.

The Bigfella
08-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Nice one. Impressive. Very impressive.

I am sure it accelerates well (once the tires get a grip) and has a top speed way beyond what is necessary anywhere.

Only question left would be - how does it do on bendy, curvy roads? British country roads? Mountain roads? I guess it's very much a highway car with all the weight on the front axle.

But - absolutely impressive.

I don't think the S85 engine (out of the current M5) is that much heavier than the M60B23 engine that it replaced. The S85 is all aluminium... and the M60 is a 175kg cast iron engine. I haven't found an official weight for the V10, but an oblique reference that puts its weight at 240kg.... so maybe an extra 65kg. (edit - found confirmation of the weight at 240kg)

A lot of additional reinforcing has been done, some down the back... don't know about gearbox weights...

I reckon I'd be prepared to give it a burl. The wheelbase may be a bit short for that much power.... making it harder to catch if it did get out of hand, but I've been able to hold some reasonably extreme drift angles with my early M5.

Henning 4148
08-19-2009, 03:40 PM
It would certainly be interesting to drive the thing and find out how it behaves, what it likes and what it doesn't like.

Years ago, someone I knew had an Alfa GTV 4 cyl first and then later the 6 cyl - the 6 cyl didn't like mountain roads a lot. To much weight in the front resulting in massive understeering. It must have been a real fight to get the car around bends - so, I wonder. A BMW with understeer - . Ages ago, I had a 5 with a relatively small 4 cyl engine - on dry roads, the thing was neutral, neither over- nor understeering, up to frightening speeds. On snow, it was a lot of fun, more drifting than driving, always at an angle ... But on dry roads - frightening neutral.

Anyway, great project.

andrewe
08-19-2009, 03:56 PM
I've built two sports racers from scratch, but this guys are on a budget that boggles the mind. And the comments that follow the pix are a bit worrying.
As for why build something that looks like a regular M3; I had a Renault R4 that was a 'little' bit quicker than standard. Sort of fun...
A