PDA

View Full Version : I hate apartment living..aaargh!!

Larks
08-15-2009, 09:40 PM
I have never every liked anything about apartment living but on this recent stint in Darwin I thought I'd kind of enjoy it because of the fantastic views of Darwin Harbour and all of the marine traffic therein. Plus it is really quite a stunning modern apartment that I'd never be able to afford alone without the subsidy that I get for being posted here.

However, despite all that, you can not escape your neighbours and the noise they make!

We have an ongoing problem with fire alarms - the first 17 floors are self contained holiday apartments and the rest up to the 28th are private residential. I'm on 23.
Whenever someone comes home pissed at 2.00 in the morning and overcooks some toast in the holiday apartments, that don't have extractor fans in the kitchenette's, the firealarm goes off throughout the building. This happens at least fortnightly, though more often around 11.00pm than the odd 2.00am incidents.

And then there is the idiot upstairs who is doing god knows what with a hammer and nail/staple gun from 10.00pm until sometimes about 2.30am on his tiled over concrete floor. He may well be building a boat up there for all I know but when he does start up it echoes through my apartment like having your head inside a tin pot and banging it with a soup ladle (not that I've done that).

He had a run of nailing a few weeks back, tap tap tap then drop the hammer on the tiled floor then tap tap tap then drop and on and on and on. Because you need a key fob to get to each of the residential floors I can't just march up and bang on his door and ask him to stow it. I tried banging on the ceiling and then finally hanging out over my balcony and shouting up to him to "shut the F&*k up" after an hour of trying politely to yell out to him.

But last night he must have decided a staple or nail gun would be quicker and quieter than a hammer because at about 1.00am he started up with that, every ten minutes or so. I'd wake up with a start thinking someone had fired a gun wondering what had happened then just get back to sleep after my heart stopped racing and ten minutes later another one….and on and on for an hour and a half. I tried the bang on the ceiling and the shouting over the balcony to no avail. I finally went down stairs and tried the intercom but was ignored, however that seemed to get the message across because when I went back upstairs it had stopped. However I did not get back to sleep at all so am a cranky britches today trying to study!! (Lots of coffee and Berocca Performance)

This morning at about 8.00 I tried the intercom again but was again ignored, then again at 9.30 and ignored again, then again just now and got a serve of abuse for waking them up with the intercom "so early on a Sunday morning" and a hang up.

My only course now is to collar everyone that I get in to the residential lift with who I see press the 24th floor button and give them the third degree to see if they are the residents of 2406 and then maybe - I don't know…..glare at them very nastily perhaps!!! Except they now know what I look like from the camera on the intercom and I have no idea who they are.

My only consolation? I'll be home in 3 weeks on my coupla quiet acres and no more apartment living.

Anyway, venting over..thanks for listening:o (whether you did or not:D)...!!!

Paul Girouard
08-15-2009, 09:48 PM
I'd never be able to afford alone without the subsidy that I get for being posted here.

Wow you get a subsidy for posting here? Your not that interesting IMO for that.

Just kidding mate but I couldn't pass -up the chance to twist your meaning! :D

I've never lived in a apartment , open bay barracks yes , under the round down on the 03 level (right under the LA ) ,thats the Landing Area, on a couple of carriers, all of which I would NOT trade for being a apartment dweller.

Foam ear plugs worked wonders on the boat , maybe they'd work for you?

PeterSibley
08-15-2009, 09:54 PM
You have my sympathy Greg , I'm more a longgrass fella myself .

botebum
08-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Tie a four ounce fishing weight to a length of 12lb test mono and sling up over his balcony railing and through his glass door(I'm assuming here). Immediatelly pull the weight back down and run back inside. It might not shut him up, but you'll gain immense satisfaction and he spend forever trying to figure out how it happened.:D

Doug

Larks
08-15-2009, 10:41 PM
That's just evil Doug - (but I found myself walking through the process when I read it :D)....

hansp77
08-15-2009, 11:17 PM
I wouldn't usually suggest it- but if there are no other ways to air your disputes/solve the situation- then considering they have been rude to you on top of just making inappropriate levels of noise at way-inappropriate times...
then I can only suggest open WAR;):D
Now that you know what time they sleep till on a sunday, well that little bit of info is gold. Doesn't mean you need to confine your efforts to these hours though.
If the apartments are all the same, then you probably know where their bed is- ie, in the same place as yours? I would set up a loud sound system with the speakers aimed/pushed up against the ceiling.
Put the thing on a timer, so that it only plays from the hours that you leave in the morning, until just after midday, no point wasting electricity and annoying other neighbors when you don't have to be. Get up in the morning, enjoy a quite breakfast, and walk out just after switching on the repetitive thumping music loud and annoying CD on repeat.
Grin and smile all morning with the warm internal glow that only sweet revenge can bring:p

Oh, and get earplugs for the counterstrikes.

BrianW
08-16-2009, 12:31 AM
I heard there was a Hot Blond on the 16th floor.:rolleyes:

But she's only there for holiday.

PeterSibley
08-16-2009, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't usually suggest it- but if there are no other ways to air your disputes/solve the situation- then considering they have been rude to you on top of just making inappropriate levels of noise at way-inappropriate times...
then I can only suggest open WAR;):D
Now that you know what time they sleep till on a sunday, well that little bit of info is gold. Doesn't mean you need to confine your efforts to these hours though.
If the apartments are all the same, then you probably know where their bed is- ie, in the same place as yours? I would set up a loud sound system with the speakers aimed/pushed up against the ceiling.
Put the thing on a timer, so that it only plays from the hours that you leave in the morning, until just after midday, no point wasting electricity and annoying other neighbors when you don't have to be. Get up in the morning, enjoy a quite breakfast, and walk out just after switching on the repetitive thumping music loud and annoying CD on repeat.
Grin and smile all morning with the warm internal glow that only sweet revenge can bring:p

Oh, and get earplugs for the counterstrikes.

May I suggest Led Zeppelin ..."Black Dog " as the appropriate weapon .:D

Larks
08-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Ish' I'm heading home to my own place in three weeks and much prefer that to renting. Fortunately our neighbours back home are also amongst our best friends.

P.L.Lenihan
08-16-2009, 02:05 AM
Tie a four ounce fishing weight to a length of 12lb test mono and sling up over his balcony railing and through his glass door(I'm assuming here). Immediatelly pull the weight back down and run back inside. It might not shut him up, but you'll gain immense satisfaction and he spend forever trying to figure out how it happened.:D
Doug

How in the name of God do some folks come up with stuff like this? What kind of tortured past continues to haunt them this way? I love this evil trick!! Now, if I can only find a way to try it out................

Thanks Doug! :D:D

Cheers!

Peter

Antonio Majer
08-16-2009, 02:28 AM
Speaking of "social relations" in apartment living, I just remembered a fact, happened in Italy some years ago. In the basement flat of a building in Rom, a man decided that a pillar was too annoying for him (I'm not joking) and therefore one day he decided to cut it off. Strangely the building didn't collapse soon, but started to get deformed, and eventually collapsed some years later, killing some families, while the man of the basement had already moved somewhere else!
---
Moral: the social dangerousness of the neighbors is in inverse proportion to the floor in which they are living :D

PeterSibley
08-16-2009, 03:01 AM
Speaking of "social relations" in apartment living, I just remembered a fact, happened in Italy some years ago. In the basement flat of a building in Rom, a man decided that a pillar was too annoying for him (I'm not joking) and therefore one day he decided to cut it off. Strangely the building didn't collapse soon, but started to get deformed, and eventually collapsed some years later, killing some families, while the man of the basement had already moved somewhere else!

:eek::eek:
Jeez !:(

coelacanth2
08-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Do you have fire hoses? Can you cut the end off one, so you can run the end under the offender's door? can you turn on the water? (It helps to do this @ 4:00 am or so). Can you procure a rubber mask to help fool the security cameras?(I'd suggest R.M. Nixon, use the politician of your choice). Don't ask, don't tell:D.

paladin
08-16-2009, 11:55 AM
If he lives directly below his ceiling could get wet.....

paladin
08-16-2009, 12:00 PM
On a similar note.....almost half century ago, I had a similar problem. Neighbors would make loud noises at weird hours and then bitch about my sabre saw running early Sundays......
They slept in Sundays....so.......I moved my large speakers against the walls.....made a tape of my stereo demo record where the Jet is flying through with all the noise/vibration/doppler reverb sounds....made an endless loop tape with an auto stop on it....applied it to my 240 watt monster Sansui amp, and set the timer to run first at 10:15 in the morning...then again about 45 minutes later......worked really well....
One morning they were looking rather bleary eyed when we met in the hallway and they asked me how I could sleep through the damned airplanes taking off on Sundays...I told them I normally got up and worked on projects so that it didn't get much attention.

The Bigfella
08-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Well, if you wake up thinking you heard a gunshot in the apartment above you, isn't it your moral duty to ring the police and tell them that?

seanz
08-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Well, if you wake up thinking you heard a gunshot in the apartment above you, isn't it your moral duty to ring the police and tell them that?

Why, yes.
Yes it is.
:D

Larks
08-17-2009, 03:52 AM

I did think of that at the time and that is exactly what I intend if it happens again...knock on wood my call on the intercom on Sunday morning may have gotten the message across but I also went to the building managers today.

NYCKiwi
08-17-2009, 04:52 AM
I feel your pain, Larks! I had a similar problem in my first apartment in Midtown NY. The woman upstairs kept a (fully grown) bull mastiff puppy in her 400 sqft apartment. The noise from the dog barking and jumping off the furniture was a constant annoyance (to put it politely). Moreover, she used to pass out late at night after a few grogs with her TV blaring. I tried complaining politely to the building management, but because I was was renting and she was an owner, I was on the back foot.

Many a night I'd lay in bed dreaming of a modest little waterfront cabin on Kawau Island with the waves lapping and a boat moored nearby. Actually, I still regularly visit that dream...

Unfortunatelty, at the time my lease expired, rents in NY had jumped considerably and I effectively couldn't afford to move. So I had to stick it out for a couple of years. It was a huge relief when I was finally able to afford to move out.

One of the best remedies I read about was suspending a low frequency piano wire from the ceiling or wall shared with the offender. Apparently running a bow across the taut wire or flicking it creates an incredible resonating sound in the offending apartment.

Not wanting to loose my security deposit by mounting a bloody great hook in the cinder block walls, I never did try that out.

I was also too chicken to squirt some super glue through her keyhole when she was out, but I often contemplated the thought...

Well, at least it'll soon be a distant memory for you mate.