PDA

View Full Version : Sanded off my Fingertips

Nanoose
08-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Doncha just hate that when you do that? Sneaks up on ya!

Giving the decks a once over before re-coating, and after a couple of hours I noticed I had a problem. :o We then hit the builder's supply and I found some great gloves, but a little too late. :rolleyes: At least I'm prepared for next time.

Ouch! :(

botebum
08-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Time to commit a crime before your prints grow back.

Doug

seanz
08-15-2009, 09:23 PM
You still wondering why they won't let you into Canada?

:D

Nanoose
08-15-2009, 09:32 PM
You still wondering why they won't let you into Canada?

?? I'm IN Canada....??

botebum
08-15-2009, 09:33 PM
He was referring to me Nanner.

Doug

seanz
08-15-2009, 09:39 PM
?? I'm IN Canada....??

You only just realized it?

For the record......that was a cheap shot at Botebum......and it was real cheap.
:o:D

C. Ross
08-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Don't make spicy food for a while. Really.

Sorry to hear it, but hope the project's worth the pain.

Shang
08-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Sanded fingers? Oh piffle !
While repairing a copper chimney cap last week I ran a drill bit through my finger.

Real men don't whimper.

Lew Barrett
08-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Tape your fingers before you start. But what were you doing sanding with your fingers, anyway Dave? Using sandpaper is much more efficient. And a block.....
No finger sanding!

goodbasil
08-15-2009, 11:32 PM
PICTURES PLEASE!

We want gore.

Paul Girouard
08-15-2009, 11:59 PM
[quote=Lew Barrett;2289010]

Tape your fingers before you start. But what were you doing sanding with your fingers, anyway Dave?

/quote]

I'm betting it was Deb not Dave, Dave pretty much signs "Dave" to any post he makes on that log-in.

peter radclyffe
08-16-2009, 01:39 AM
surgical tape is more flexible

stevebaby
08-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Sanded fingers? Oh piffle !
While repairing a copper chimney cap last week I ran a drill bit through my finger.

Real men don't whimper.I sliced one of my fingers ,literally, to the bone a couple of months ago. I felt the blade actually scrape the bone...an interesting sensation.
Unfortunately i was halfway through the job I started so I taped it with masking tape and kept going. The fingertip is still a bit numb, but the doctor I finally showed it to said that would probably be the case anyway.

If you want gore...a mate of mine's father cut out his own haemmorhoids with a pair of scissors...
And there was the skipper of a pearl lugger out of Broome who took out his own appendix with a pocket knife...:D

The Bigfella
08-16-2009, 07:38 AM
I busted off half a finger whilst splitting wood a while back. I went to the bone doctor and told him to just lop it off neat... but obviously, its more pay to reattach it than to lop it off.... so he nailed it back on.

As for sanding - both my thumb nails are asymetric at the moment - somthing to do with knocking the buildup off the sandpaper as I fair the hull.

stevebaby
08-16-2009, 08:21 AM
I busted off half a finger whilst splitting wood a while back. I went to the bone doctor and told him to just lop it off neat... but obviously, its more pay to reattach it than to lop it off.... so he nailed it back on.

As for sanding - both my thumb nails are asymetric at the moment - somthing to do with knocking the buildup off the sandpaper as I fair the hull.Did he put a rove on it?:D
I use a brass wire brush on abrasive paper...gives it a bit more life.

The Bigfella
08-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Nah - no rove - just a stainless pin - about 30mm long, knocked in via the fingertip and he stitched the finger back together and sewed the nail back on. You would have to love the process for removing the pin.... a pair of pliers and a bit of a tug. The pin is still on my desk here....

stevebaby
08-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Nah - no rove - just a stainless pin - about 30mm long, knocked in via the fingertip and he stitched the finger back together and sewed the nail back on. You would have to love the process for removing the pin.... a pair of pliers and a bit of a tug. The pin is still on my desk here....I've had a pair of stainless pins (8" X 1/4") in my ankles, and they were pulled out much the same way, with vice grips.
They knocked me out for it and I missed the fun!
Killjoys.

Nanoose
08-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Ya, it's Deb, not Dave....and I didn't think about using a block!, or tape!, or anything else until I realized I had a problem. When I realized what was happening, I thought about the disposal painting gloves I had on hand, but figured the sand paper would make a quick mess of them, so why bother. Job's done now. NEXT time, I'll know better. :o Ouch! :(

Deb

Paul Girouard
08-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Ya, it's Deb, not Dave....and I didn't think about using a block!, or tape!, or anything else until I realized I had a problem. When I realized what was happening, I thought about the disposal painting gloves I had on hand, but figured the sand paper would make a quick mess of them, so why bother. Job's done now. NEXT time, I'll know better. :o Ouch! :(

Deb

Ta da !!

I hope you learned a lesson there teach:D

Nanoose
08-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Don't worry - I learn something everyday, Paul - I love learning!
How 'bout you? ;)

Glen Longino
08-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Kissy fingers, kissy fingers!
Better already, aren't they?:)

Paul Girouard
08-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Don't worry - I learn something everyday, Paul - I love learning!
How 'bout you?

I think I'd say yes. Has my typing and spelling improved any? If not then I guess the real answer would be NO! :confused:

Notice I did not include grammer as that is not really what this type of forum is all about. Grammar is more formal IMO , just like that IMO shorting , poor grammer I sure , but acceptable here on a forum. Yes ? No?

Nanoose
08-16-2009, 12:37 PM
You're so cute! I love the way your spell checker let both 'grammer' and 'grammar' go in the same sentence. :)

I think the forum is more relaxed, more colloquial...usually I write here as if I was speaking to someone while enjoying a beer together. And grammar was never my strong suit, but because I read a lot, I think I've picked up a few things by osmosis. However, when misspellings impact my ability to understand someone, that's when I think there's a problem. Well, and besides the 'there/their/they're' and 'to/too/two' issues that just seem to never go away and drive me crazy! ....sorry :o...

downthecreek
08-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Yachting is so GLAMOROUS, don't you think....??? ;)

Glen Longino
08-16-2009, 12:42 PM
"grammer", "grammar", grammer"!
You're inconsistent, Paul!
But what the hell!
Acceptable here on the forum? Yes!
Nobody ever got Scoted for bad grammar.

Nanoose
08-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Creeky! I posted a thread to you this week asking for a bit more re the Karen Armstrong book you're reading. It's "Hey, Creeky...". Do you have a minute to tell me about it there?

downthecreek
08-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Creeky! I posted a thread to you this week asking for a bit more re the Karen Armstrong book you're reading. It's "Hey, Creeky...". Do you have a minute to tell me about it there?

Whoops! Sorry. I don't always pick up everything that goes on here.....

It is a very densely written book, obviously with a wealth of knowledge and curiosity behind it. I'm only about half way through.

Essentially, she seems to be exploring the idea that religion is about commitment and action, not theorising. That is one of the things that puts me in mind of you. She also seems to be suggesting that we have got the idea of "faith" a bit distorted. She doesn't seem to think that "credere" is so much "to believe" as "to commit". In other words - don't try to believe in things abstract, but commit (if you think it makes sense) to things concrete - then will you learn.

I'm not doing anything like justice to the book here. Maybe I will have more to say when I've finished it. I suspect, from what I have read of your thoughts, that you wouldn't agree with Ms. Armstrong on all points, but I do think you would see what she means. But it is much more about religion in general than the Christian idea of God in particular. Perhaps the title is a little misleading.

More when finished. I'm pretty busy just now, so can't promise when.

Good sailing to you. I saw the brief video of your beautiful boat. Well worth a few poxy fingertips! :)

Nanoose
08-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks, Creeky. It's not available here yet. I will keep a look out. By the way, 'belief' to Jesus', and his hearer's, understanding included, or rather necessitated, a 'do' element. It is a modern idea that we separate belief/thought from action. James was particularly strong on this.

I'll keep a look out for it late September (release date).

Paul Girouard
08-16-2009, 02:41 PM
You're so cute! I love the way your spell checker let both 'grammer' and 'grammar' go in the same sentence. :)

I think the forum is more relaxed, more colloquial...usually I write here as if I was speaking to someone while enjoying a beer together. And grammar was never my strong suit, but because I read a lot, I think I've picked up a few things by osmosis. However, when misspellings impact my ability to understand someone, that's when I think there's a problem. Well, and besides the 'there/their/they're' and 'to/too/two' issues that just seem to never go away and drive me crazy! ....sorry :o...

So I'll take that as a NO:( A long winded one but from what I can make of it I have not improved much if any.

I think I ask more questions than most , just look at the "Kitchen cabinet " thread.

John Meachen
08-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Another piece of advice from one who has been there:be very watchful about the temperature of any hot water you may need to put your hands in.

Captain Intrepid
08-16-2009, 04:34 PM
I've had a pair of stainless pins (8" X 1/4") in my ankles, and they were pulled out much the same way, with vice grips.
They knocked me out for it and I missed the fun!
Killjoys.

When I had a new tooth implanted, they drilled a hole in my jaw for it, and tapped it with a little tiny tap, and then attached it with a little tiny torque wrench. Antique medical tools, though, those are unusual (and often rather scary looking).

Shang
08-16-2009, 04:39 PM
"...If you want gore...a mate of mine's father cut out his own haemmorhoids with a pair of scissors...
And there was the skipper of a pearl lugger out of Broome who took out his own appendix with a pocket knife..."

If you know anything about auto-circumcision, keep it to yourself, okay?

B_B
08-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Don't make spicy food for a while. Really.
A friend of mine was cutting up some peppers, hot ones, forget which type, went pee and a few seconds later....ow!:eek::mad::eek:

The Bigfella
08-16-2009, 07:20 PM
When the guys were showing me through the operations room at the crematorium, they showed me their collection of surgical bits and pieces.... which they had to remove from the ashes before they went into the crusher... quite impressive actually... although some of the plates looked a bit like mechano set material.