PDA

View Full Version : think i know what i want to do finally

pahillbillybear
08-15-2009, 03:43 AM
Haven't been on here in a while. Son and I have started hiking. Didn't do alot. But as in sailing or any other worthwhile venture, one finds out just how ignorant one really is (and I'm one). My heels are a testement to my ignorance. I ordered Devlins boat building book. Really a nice read. It seems to me that a guy with limited mechanical knowledge/ability should be able to build a decent dinghy with a bit of help. I spoke with one of the guys who picked the phone up (not Sam). He built an Egret. I've looked at it. I don't really like the double end look. But he said it'll carry a load and is fairly easy to build. The zephyr is a better looking boat, but I think I am going to take this guys advice and build the Egret. Now for my question. As long as I do the epoxy in the summer or in fair weather and it is under a piece of canvas or large plastic tarp, will the epoxy cure appropriately. I can put a heater in, maybe. I read somewhere, and it may have been in Sams book, that kerosene in a tent with epoxy is a no no because the epoxy will not cure properly with the kerosene fumes. Thanks again for all the help, and I hope everyone has had a wonderful summer.

DGentry
08-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Epoxy cures fine, winter or summer. The speed depends on the type of hardener you use, and the temperature. Warmer is better and faster.

There are lots of books other than Devlin's, and lots and lots of other simple to build boat designs from other designers. If the Egret is the boat you lust after, then go for it. But it might pay to do some more research.

Try any or all of the books by Harold Payson for a start, or Jim Michalak's "Boatbuilding for Beginners and Beyond." And look here for a whole lot of other design and designer options: http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans.htm

Good luck!
Dave

JimD
08-15-2009, 11:34 AM
If you are working outdoors do not allow dew to condense at night on uncured epoxy. Big mess. Otherwise, no problem. An electric heater, or even the heat of a light bulb will help the cure in cooler temps.

Candyfloss
08-16-2009, 04:56 AM
What Jim said, but I wouldn't be too happy about building outdoors for a few other reasons. If that is your best option, go for it, but I would recommend that you put some effort into building a shelter of some sort.

James McMullen
08-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Devlin's designs are straightforward and useful You'll like your Egret quite a lot, I suspect!