PDA

View Full Version : Bob Dylan who?

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
08-14-2009, 07:43 PM
It's not because they're young. It's because they're Squares. To quote Wayne and Garth, "(They) are not worthy!"

You're Bob Dylan? US police want to see some ID

By WAYNE PARRY, Associated Press Writer Wayne Parry, Associated Press Writer 2 hrs 7 mins ago
Rock legend Bob Dylan was treated like a complete unknown by police in a New Jersey shore community when a resident called to report someone wandering around the neighborhood.
Dylan was in Long Branch, about a two-hour drive south of New York City, on July 23 as part of a tour with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp that was to play at a baseball stadium.
A 24-year-old police officer apparently was unaware of who Dylan is and asked him for identification, Long Branch business administrator Howard Woolley said Friday.
"I don't think she was familiar with his entire body of work," Woolley said.
The incident began at 5 p.m. (2100 GMT) when a resident said a man was wandering around a low-income, predominantly minority neighborhood several blocks from the oceanfront looking at houses.
The police officer drove up to Dylan, who was wearing a blue jacket, and asked him his name. According to Woolley, the following exchange ensued:
"What is your name, sir?" the officer asked.
"Bob Dylan," Dylan said.
"OK, what are you doing here?" the officer asked.
"I'm on tour," the singer replied.
A second officer, also in his 20s, responded to assist the first officer. He, too, apparently was unfamiliar with Dylan, Woolley said.
The officers asked Dylan for identification. The singer of such classics as "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Blowin' in the Wind" said that he didn't have any ID with him, that he was just walking around looking at houses to pass some time before that night's show.
The officers asked Dylan, 68, to accompany them back to the Ocean Place Resort and Spa, where the performers were staying. Once there, tour staff vouched for Dylan.
The officers thanked him for his cooperation.
"He couldn't have been any nicer to them," Woolley added.
How did it feel? A Dylan publicist did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment Friday.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
08-14-2009, 08:47 PM
A friend of mine was friends with Bob Dylan in NYC , We rode MCs together. He asked me one day if i wanted to ride upstate with BD and him for the weekend but i was busy, Not real sure why i did not know much about him then. My friend just told me if i meet him dont ask him about music he likes MC talk.The other groups did a lot of his music back then, I have some albums but can only listen to him sing one song then his voice sounds like gravel.

Wouldn't be the first time. Dylan is a songwriter first, performer second. The same can be said for many of the best songwriters. Except Joni Mitchell. She has the voice of a nightingale.

I can understand the officers not recognizing his face, he is getting old and looks fairly ordinary these days. But not the name. I quote Simon and Garfunkel: "When you say Dylan, he thinks you're talkin' about Dylan Thomas, whoever he was. The man ain't got no culture." :)

pefjr
08-14-2009, 08:51 PM
A musical genius. A poet. Bobbys,you should enjoy his lyrics, they are like poetry. My wife can't listen when I play his songs. She says it hurts her ears.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
08-14-2009, 09:00 PM
A musical genius. A poet. Bobbys,you should enjoy his lyrics, they are like poetry. My wife can't listen when I play his songs. She says it hurts her ears.

It's not like poetry, it IS poetry. :D Like TV without the picture, is radio. Music, without the music, is poetry. I just thought I should clear that up.

clancy
08-14-2009, 09:53 PM
When The Ship Comes In

Oh the time will come up
When the winds will stop
And the breeze will cease to be breathin'.
Like the stillness in the wind
Before the hurricane begins,
The hour that the ship comes in.

Then the sea will split
And the ships will hit
And the sands on the shoreline will be shaking.
Then the tide will sound
And the waves will pound
And the morning will be breaking.

The fishes will laugh
As they swim out of the path
And the seagulls they'll be a-smilin'.
And the rocks on the sand
Will proudly stand,

And the words that are used
For to get the ship confused
Will not be understood as they're spoken.
For the chains of the sea
Will have busted in the night
And be buried on the bottom of the ocean.

A song will lift
As the mainsail shifts
And the boat drifts on to the shoreline.
And the sun will respect
Every face on the deck,

Then the sands will roll
Out a carpet of gold
For your weary toes to be a-touchin'.
And the ship's wise men
Will remind you once again
That the whole wide world is watchin'.

Oh the foes will rise
With the sleep still in their eyes
And they'll jerk from their beds and think they're dreamin'.
But they'll pinch themselves and squeal
And they'll know that it's for real,

And they'll raise their hands,
Sayin' we'll meet all your demands,
But we'll shout from the bow your days are numbered.
And like Pharaoh's tribe,
They'll be drownded in the tide,
And like Goliath, they'll be conquered.

Paul Girouard
08-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Maybe he should have told those officiers to ^%$#off , why did he HAVE to show his ID? What crime was he committing? Maybe Professor Gates should look at Bob's example of how to deal with police.

BUT by what authority can citizens walking the street in broad daylight be approached and ordered to identify themselves?
Seems a bit much to me. He may have been within his right to tell them to pi$$off.

There both options are open to debate. :D

Woxbox
08-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Maybe he should have told those officiers to ^%$#off , why did he HAVE to show his ID? What crime was he committing?

Good question. People who live in this country's poor neighborhoods get used to this sort of treatment. It never happens on the other side of town -- unless, of course, the stroller looks like he crossed the tracks.

pefjr
08-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Mama, take this badge off of me
I can't use it anymore.
It's gettin' dark, too dark for me to see
I feel like I'm knockin' on heaven's door.

Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door

Mama, put my guns in the ground
I can't shoot them anymore.
That long black cloud is comin' down
I feel like I'm knockin' on heaven's door.

Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's d

Todd Bradshaw
08-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Bob Dylan? What's he ever done?
A picture is worth a thousand words - or in this case, 53 albums!

http://www.bobdylan.com/#/albums

Captain Blight
08-14-2009, 10:30 PM
My Back Pages

Crimson flames tied through my ears
Rollin' high and mighty traps
Pounced with fire on flaming roads
Using ideas as my maps
"We'll meet on edges, soon," said I
Proud 'neath heated brow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now.

Half-wracked prejudice leaped forth
"Rip down all hate," I screamed
Lies that life is black and white
Spoke from my skull. I dreamed
Romantic facts of musketeers
Foundationed deep, somehow.

Girls' faces formed the forward path
From phony jealousy
To memorizing politics
Of ancient history
Flung down by corpse evangelists
Unthought of, though, somehow.

A self-ordained professor's tongue
Too serious to fool
Spouted out that liberty
Is just equality in school
"Equality," I spoke the word
As if a wedding vow.

In a soldier's stance, I aimed my glance
At the mongrel dogs who teach
Fearing not that I'd become my enemy
In the instant that I preach
My pathway led by confusion boats
Mutiny from stern to bow.

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats
Too noble to neglect
Deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow.

I'm not a huge fan of the man's music-- his voice is like aural 16-grit-- but this is one of my favorite songs, anytime, anywhere.

Paul Pless
08-14-2009, 10:31 PM
here's his next album: kinda weird (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090810/od_nm/us_dylan_christmas_odd)

pefjr
08-14-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't think this list is up to date but its long.

http://www.bobdylanlyrics.net/

Paul Girouard
08-14-2009, 10:39 PM
So no ones pissed he got rousted by the cops? Odd! Maybe the second coming:confused:

Tom Montgomery
08-14-2009, 10:56 PM
They ask me how I feel
And if my love is real
And how I know I'll make it through
And they, they look at me and frown
They'd like to drive me from this town
They don't want me around
'Cause I believe in you.

They show me to the door
They say don't come back no more
'Cause I don't be like they'd like me to
And I, I walk out on my own
A thousand miles from home
But I don't feel alone
'Cause I believe in you.

I believe in you even through the tears and the laughter
I believe in you even though we be apart
I believe in you even on the morning after
Oh, when the dawn is nearing
Oh, when the night is disappearing
Oh, this feeling is still here in my heart.

Don't let me drift too far
Keep me where you are
Where I will always be renewed
And that which you've given me today
Is worth more than I could pay
And no matter what they say
I believe in you.

I believe in you when winter turn to summer
I believe in you when white turn to black
I believe in you even though I be outnumbered
Oh, though the earth may shake me
Oh, though my friends forsake me
Oh, even that couldn't make me go back.

Don't let me change my heart
Keep me set apart
From all the plans they do pursue
And I, I don't mind the pain
Don't mind the driving rain
I know I will sustain
'Cause I believe in you.

Glen Longino
08-14-2009, 11:28 PM
So no ones pissed he got rousted by the cops? Odd! Maybe the second coming:confused:

I'm just glad he didn't get shot.
As for showing ID. I do believe most places require citizens to produce ID for the police on demand.
If I'm wrong maybe one of the lawyers will correct me.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
08-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Maybe he should have told those officiers to ^%$#off , why did he HAVE to show his ID? What crime was he committing? Maybe Professor Gates should look at Bob's example of how to deal with police.

BUT by what authority can citizens walking the street in broad daylight be approached and ordered to identify themselves?
Seems a bit much to me. He may have been within his right to tell them to pi$$off.

There both options are open to debate. :D

You are correct, and it is established law; Kolender v. Lawson, 461 U.S. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Reports) 352 (http://supreme.justia.com/us/461/352/case.html) (1983); A black guy in dreadlocks walking though "white neighborhoods" in San Diego County was often questioned by police. The US Supreme Court ruled that requiring loiterers or wanderers on the streets to present identification and to account for their presence when requested by a police officer is unconstitutional. Of course, this has been violated countless times in the ensuing years.

Subsequent history: Kolender was cited in Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiibel_v._Sixth_Judicial_District_Court_of_Nevada) , 542 U.S. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Reports) 177 (http://supreme.justia.com/us/542/177/case.html) (2004), as an example of a “stop-and-identify statute (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes)” the Court had voided on vagueness grounds. In Hiibel, the Court held that a Nevada law requiring persons detained upon reasonable suspicion of involvement in a crime to identify themselves to a peace officer did not violate the Fourth Amendment’s prohibition of unreasonable searches and seizures or the Fifth Amendment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution) ’s privilege against self incrimination. Unlike California Penal Code 647(e) as construed in Solomon, the Nevada statute was apparently interpreted by the Nevada Supreme Court as requiring only that persons detained state their names.

So, in the case of Dylan, the officers had no probable cause or reasonable suspicion to believe a crime was being committed, thus it was an unconstitutional stop.

peter radclyffe
08-15-2009, 01:10 AM
someones got it in for me, planting stories in the press
whoever it is i wish they'd cut it out quick,
but when they will
i can only guess

Paul Girouard
08-15-2009, 10:33 AM
So, in the case of Dylan, the officers had no probable cause or reasonable suspicion to believe a crime was being committed, thus it was an unconstitutional stop.

That's what I thought , so why no out-cry here on this?

skuthorp
08-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Because I'd guess that this will continue to happen, because they can, because peolpe are scared, and because it is in the interest of the state that people are scared. Scared people are predictable and more easily controlled.

Paul Girouard
08-15-2009, 11:06 AM
#1: Because I'd guess that this will continue to happen, because they can, because peolpe are scared, and because it is in the interest of the state that people are scared.

#2: Scared people are predictable and more easily controlled.

#1: Maybe?

#2: Up to a point , maybe part of these "town hall meetings" that have gone "bad" as the Demo's have put it , are scared people not so easily controlled? Of course they could bring in more police to those to "quell" the masses. A cop with a gun is a easy way to break up "law abiding" citizens gathering. Generally it ( a cop or two) doesn't much good if the gathering is not so "Law abiding".

Dan McCosh
08-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Having missed the opportunity to reply: "Why? Because I'm white?"

Dan McCosh
08-15-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm also wondering if this incident says more about Bob Dylan, or New Jersey.

goodbasil
08-15-2009, 04:58 PM
The cop probably thought he was some crook disguised as Vincent Price. And the cop knew it wasn't Vincent Price because he is dead.

Hwyl
08-15-2009, 05:17 PM
They recognised Pee Wee Herman.

Did Robert Zimmerman officially change his name, I know David Jones has not