PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Mayoral Race? Who ya got?

Yeadon
08-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm not voting for Mayor Nickels.

I hated how he strong-armed the Seattle Monorail Project out of business (not that they didn't deserve a major swat upside the head) ... but it's hard for me to otherwise explain why I'm so against him. My gut says he's a weasel who really loves developers.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward Mike McGinn, if only because he's progressive, rides a bike all over this town, and is not Mayor Nickels. The polls have him at or near second place. He also picked up the Stranger's endorsement, which means more to me than the Seattle Times endorsement. (Let's not forget how they endorsed George W. Bush in 2000. God knows I won't.)

Honestly, I should have a better handle on this one, but don't. Aaargh.

C. Ross
08-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Mayor McCheese is always a suitable write-in and I know you guys really like burgers.

http://www.gagworks.com/Images/ProductsImages/GW18654.jpg

pcford
08-13-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm not voting for Mayor Nickels.

I hated how he strong-armed the Seattle Monorail Project out of business (not that they didn't deserve a major swat upside the head) ... but it's hard for me to otherwise explain why I'm so against him. My gut says he's a weasel who really loves developers.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward Mike McGinn, if only because he's progressive, rides a bike all over this town, and is not Mayor Nickels. The polls have him at or near second place. He also picked up the Stranger's endorsement, which means more to me than the Seattle Times endorsement. (Let's not forget how they endorsed George W. Bush in 2000. God knows I won't.)

Honestly, I should have a better handle on this one, but don't. Aaargh.

As hatred of speeding boy bike racers wearing synthetic clothing in colors that never appear in nature is one of my life's main motivating factors, McGinn is out. Unless he rides like a sane human being, like they do in Europe.

Also he wants to tear down the viaduct and just dump the traffic on city streets. The viaduct should be repaired or replaced. The viaduct is one of the few times a normal person has to enjoy the view of the Sound...it's glorious. The viaduct will be replaced by condos for people from somewhere else and space for damned tourists. When was the last time you went to the waterfront?

I have spoken.

Jim Bow
08-13-2009, 09:48 PM
PCford, step on down to San Fran to where the Embarcadero use to be. Ask anybody if they want it back.

Go to Chicago and walk along the lakefront. Ask anyone if they'd like a 2 story highway instead.

The problem with Seattle is traffic. Traffic comes from too high a population.
I moved to Seattle 40 years ago. Between 10am and 3pm I-5 was completely empty. Pine St to University Way was about a 12 minute drive.

Then Seattle became cool. It's been downhill since.
That's why I moved to Portland.
Tear down the Viaduct and tell anyone who can't live without it to move to Tacoma.

pcford
08-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Then Seattle became cool. It's been downhill since.
That's why I moved to Portland.
Tear down the Viaduct and tell anyone who can't live without it to move to Tacoma.

Portland is a fine, fine place.

I live in Fremont, the entrance to 99 is little more than a block away. The viaduct gives me the opportunity to bypass downtown and enjoy a beautiful view. If it were not there and 99 were routed into surface streets it would be a horrible mess both on the surface streets and on I5.

I don't see how I would benefit from more condos downtown along the waterfront and "parks" which will be used mostly by tourists.

Now back to the damned bike racers. About 6 weeks ago I was in Eugene OR. The bike riders seemed to be normal people. No scowling thugs in polyethylene clothing cruising for old ladies to run down. I actually had a guy on a bike yield the right of way to me at a four way stop in Eugene! Amazing!!!

Yeadon
08-13-2009, 10:21 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2009/04/05/2008990234.jpg

I don't think this fellow is exactly a hipster on a fixie.

Further study shows that he rides something called an "electric assist."

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7i5P234ymCQ/Sc0Y6sLrMFI/AAAAAAAAAvc/dv6Z8p7398M/s320/mikebike.jpeg

Yeadon
08-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Also, I support the surface street option. I'm not all that interested in providing cars fast passage via the Seattle waterfront. Skip the new viaduct and give me rail, or monorail, or streetcars, whatever. Someday, I'd like to get everywhere in town without needing my truck.

It's my learned opinion that people in Fremont are getting perhaps a bit uppity in their needs and wants. Keep it up and we'll put the baby diaper cleaning factory back on the main drag.

pcford
08-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Also, I support the surface street option. I'm not all that interested in providing cars fast passage via the Seattle waterfront. Skip the new viaduct and give me rail, or monorail, or streetcars, whatever. Someday, I'd like to get everywhere in town without needing my truck.

Yes, right...taking the bus with a box of tools and supplies...ain't gonna happen.

It's my learned opinion that people in Fremont are getting perhaps a bit uppity in their needs and wants. Keep it up and we'll put the baby diaper cleaning factory back on the main drag.

Fremont uppity? Hey Lake City boy...Lake City...whose only claim to fame is having a Dick's Drive-In and the host of the now departed Rose Garden, the worst dive this side of Hell. ("That ain't no 10 dollah rock!!!")

NOW can we talk about the infestation of bike riders in Seattle?

Yeadon
08-13-2009, 11:20 PM
The Yeadon Plan:

1) When gas hits $4 per gallon for six consecutive months, all streets with more than two lanes must cede right of way to bicycles. If a bicycle is within sight, vehicles must pull to side of the road, turn off their engine and wait.

2) Those with tool boxes may request that the bus "kneel" and deploy the ramp. "Night stop" rules also apply for local boatrights able to mutter "please" and "thank you."

3) Upon confirmation that boatwrights are unable to muster a simple greeting, we'll knock down that ugly freeway.

Paul Girouard
08-13-2009, 11:28 PM
The Yeadon Plan:

1) When gas hits $4 per gallon for six consecutive months, all streets with more than two lanes must cede right of way to bicycles. If a bicycle is within sight, vehicles must pull to side of the road, turn off their engine and wait.

2) Those with tool boxes may request that the bus "kneel" and deploy the ramp. "Night stop" rules also apply for local boatrights able to mutter "please" and "thank you."

3) Upon confirmation that boatwrights are unable to muster a simple greeting, we'll knock down that ugly freeway.

You might win on that platform , at least in Seattle:D

Well, at least PC safe seeing your picking on than boat-rights:rolleyes:

You say you used to write for a living eh:eek:

pcford
08-13-2009, 11:34 PM
The Yeadon Plan:

Your plan sucks donkey member buster. And look, I want it made clear, I have nothing against reasonable bike riders. In fact, I heart reasonable bike riders. It's the sweating, scowling racer miscreants that mow down old ladies and other pedestrians. Everyone thinks about car versus biker. Nobody talks about biker versus pedestrian.

Nonsense, what makes you think I want to sit next to Mr. Poopypants? Do YOU want to sit next to Mr. Poopypants?
Rose said she rode the bus once and it was all she could do to keep from chundering. She keep scanning the bus for the responsible party but could find no obvious candidate. She said it was way worse than sh!t. Boggles the mind.

Paul Girouard
08-13-2009, 11:43 PM
And look, I want it made clear, I have nothing against reasonable bike riders. In fact, I heart reasonable bike riders. It's the sweating, scowling racer miscreants that mow down old ladies and other pedestrians. Everyone thinks about car versus biker. Nobody talks about biker versus pedestrian.

You "heart" them WTF :confused: :confused: PC you goin PC and "soft" (you "heart them") on us? :eek:
Thanks for the chuckle Pat:DYer killin me here:D!

Nonsense, what makes you think I want to sit next to Mr. Poopypants? Do YOU want to sit next to Mr. Poopypants?
Rose said she rode the bus once and it was all she could do to keep from chundering. She keep scanning the bus for the responsible party but could find no obvious candidate. She said it was way worse than sh!t. Boggles the mind.

So you don't use the bus eh? To good to ride with the common folks eh! Mr. Poopypants, does he ride every bus , every day?

pcford
08-14-2009, 12:02 AM
So you don't use the bus eh? To good to ride with the common folks eh! Mr. Poopypants, does he ride every bus , every day?

I must say the times I have ridden the bus I have had no problems. But Rose rides the bus to work downtown and back, except when she walks. She does not drive. She has told me enough stories to make me know that sooner or later my luck will run out.

Yeadon
08-14-2009, 12:10 AM
You could walk. Or how about a bike with a trailer? I know a local boatwright who makes rent this way. I acknowledge that his rent is not nearly as much as it would be if he lived in Fremont.

Yeadon
08-14-2009, 01:00 AM
So, it's McGinn: 1.
Nickels: 0.

Pat, of course, has simply cast his vote against "buses" ... and they aren't even on the ballot.

The constituency is obviously distracted.

pcford
08-14-2009, 02:13 AM
The constituency is obviously distracted.

This constituency has been putting up a flash version of some clips from a multi camera shoot to discover why the two camera are different....maybe somebody else can figure out what is happening.

And now I hitting the rack....

A fine, fine time debating. Sorry you lost. But thanks for playing the game.

BETTY-B
08-14-2009, 02:20 AM
Between just those two, as of this completely unresearched point in time, I'm with Nickels.

I think he has got a bum rap on a bunch of stuff. And ramming through stuff is long over due in this entire region. K-ryste. We cant make a damn final decision on anything. The only thing we agree on is there is a bunch of freaking traffic. Not even the school stuff passes anymore.

I'm voting for more balls on all levels.

DAN

BETTY-B
08-14-2009, 02:23 AM
And that's a helluva view that we would lose too. My thought was turing the entire thing into giant view towers, underground tunnel, and rolling park hills. That is if we didnt rebuild or fix the original viaduct.

I, Rowboat
08-14-2009, 07:57 AM
I like toast.

Out here in BFE Kingston, we have the good sense to not have town leadership.

Yeadon
08-14-2009, 11:02 AM
McGinn: 1
Nickels: 1
Anti-buses: 1
Toast: 1

A four way tie for last place.

Bobcat
08-14-2009, 11:43 AM
I am not sure who I will vote for as mayor, but I know that I will not vote for pulling down the viaduct and not replacing that traffic corridor. The thought that cars will just magically go away is well, to be charitable, naive. I have friends and an employees who use the viaduct everyday and it's not worth massively complicating their lives for a view or a waterfront stroll.

I am also not interested in reopening what to do about the viaduct. It's been *eight* years since the earthquake and we finally have a decision about what to do. Revisit that and it will be another ten years before anything gets done.

Yeadon
08-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Refresh my memory ... what was decided on the viaduct? I can't remember.

Also, it just occurred to me that the Sonics left under Nickels watch, though I mostly blame Howie Schultz for that one. Does the Sonics departure make any difference to us?

pcford
08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
I am not sure who I will vote for as mayor, but I know that I will not vote for pulling down the viaduct and not replacing that traffic corridor. The thought that cars will just magically go away is well, to be charitable, naive. I have friends and an employees who use the viaduct everyday and it's not worth massively complicating their lives for a view or a waterfront stroll.

Someone with some acuity...finally. Those that live in a nast....errr...charming neighborhood such as Lake City don't understand the efficiency of the route for those of us fortunate enough to live in Fremont or Ballard.

Yeadon
08-14-2009, 12:21 PM
You're living a lie, Ford.

On one hand, you enjoy spoils of a highbrow life in Fremont -- with your conveyor belt sushi and boutiques that sell $200 t-shirts -- yet on the other hand you refuse to eat the best hamburger in town because it was made by the minions of Tom Douglas.

You've emerged from Old Seattle into the new, and your blue collar roots been done squashed. Perhaps you need a vacation to Haller Lake.

Paul Pless
08-14-2009, 12:25 PM
You're living a lie, Ford.what's the world coming to when even the three elite super lib hippy boat builder men from seattle (yeadon, bettyb, pcford) can't agree on a mayor.

I was thinking y'all should go for the bike rider dude myself, until I realized he used an electric motor on his bike...

Yeadon
08-14-2009, 12:33 PM
McGinn is sorta chubby and mayoral-shaped, so the electric bike seems to fit the beast. Not a great surprise in reflection.

Here's what I know about McGinn. He's an attorney, and the former local director of the Sierra Club. He's out of Greenwood, a dear province of the great northern regions of Seattle. He has little or no staff, all volunteers, and an office along Aurora Avenue.

I bet he'd pick Red Mill for his favorite burger, though he might say Bicks. If he mentions Mr. Gyro as the best food in town, then I might just go volunteer for him.

pcford
08-14-2009, 12:38 PM
what's the world coming to when even the three elite super lib hippy boat builder men from seattle (yeadon, bettyb, pcford) can't agree on a mayor.

At least you didn't say girly men. But it ain't much of a choice.

I, Rowboat
08-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Yeadon --
You mean Mr. Gyro on Greenwood Ave, across from the space travel agency? I used to drive past that place on my commute (to hippy-commie Fremont) and though it looked like it might be good.

BETTY-B
08-15-2009, 12:22 AM
If he mentions Mr. Gyro as the best food in town, then I might just go volunteer for him.

But the Egyptian guy up the street has better gyros ayways. It's all in the fenugreek...

pcford
08-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Restaurant Review: Mr. Gyro:

I had heard it on good authority that Mr. Gyros was a good place to dine. It was about 6pm today and I had not eaten all day and had been to the gym on top of that. (Trying to lose some poundage. My scheme is: Eat nothing but fruit during the day and then it's Katey bar the door at dinner time.) So I was quite ready for some food by the time I rolled into the Greenwood district from Ballard.

I located the place. It actually resembled a eating place in the Middle East...pokey, tiny and dark. It did not have the requisite squadrons of flies that a restaurant in the Middle East would have. Also, instead of Koranic chanting there was some hypnotic thump-thump dance music on. Same effect I suppose.

After my eyes adjusted to the dim light, I was greeted at the order counter by the cheerful staff. I ordered a lamb kebab plate and a hummus appetizer. No need to have ordered the hummus because I had barely started the hummus with the main plate arrived.

The rice and salad were excellent, however the lamb was a kind of carne mysterioso. Bland and dry. Nary a flavorful note.

For the unnecessary hummus, the lamb plate and a soda, the total was $13+.

I think I'll be back. The lamb was perhaps an aberration. Next time I'll ask if they have the Koranic chanting cd. They can skip the flies though.

Lew Barrett
08-15-2009, 12:45 AM
I think he means the Palace Kitchen's burger, or he should, I-R.

Well, first off, what I'm not for:

I am unalterably opposed to Nickels, the smug son of a bitch who looks like he thinks he has an entitlement. I am opposed to him for his stupid treatment of Sodo, which ties neatly into the Viaduct issue. I am all for the Viaduct being rebuilt, by the way. And they need to consider a pedestrian underpass or overpass for the on-ramp at Western (by the Art Institute) while they are at it, and for the off ramp on the other side that backs up the Viaduct during the rush hour. Fix that, and the Viaduct moves cars efficiently. I need my car at work, and I live on Queen Ann and work in Sodo. Riding a bike to work (and I have an electric bike, by the way) is out. Rebuild the Viaduct as the most cost effective solution...and kill the stupid tunnel they have planned to build in it's stead.

Otherwise, I agree with your observations Tim. What is it about Nickels that
makes the skin crawl? I offer four letters as living proof: S.L.U.T. And that's him in word and deed.

How about Joe Mallahan? What's known about him?

pcford
08-15-2009, 12:52 AM
I think he means the Palace Kitchen's burger, or he should, I-R.

Well, first off, what I'm not for:

I am unalterably opposed to Nickels, the smug son of a bitch who looks like he thinks he has an entitlement. I am opposed to him for his stupid treatment of Sodo, which ties neatly into the Viaduct issue. I am all for the Viaduct being rebuilt, by the way.

Sanity at last!

Hey I have an idea...let's build two stadiums right next to downtown at the junction of the end of I-90, the major north/south railway line down the west coast and the approach for ferry traffic. Hey! that sounds brilliant!

I had a meeting in Chinatown (that's what the Chinese call it.) Took me 45 minutes to get from Fremont to the meeting. Finally had to park my car and walk.

Not much of an athletic supporter myself.

Lew Barrett
08-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Oh yeah, the stadia that we voted down!

I have nothing against building stadia; love it in fact because they all need giant sound systems and video distribution. But not in my neighborhood, please. I am uniquely cursed with Stadia, living as I do on Queen Ann and working in SODO.

Ah, Sodo! Where, if Nickels has his way, all of the city's strip clubs and lap dancing parlors will be located, side by cheek with the Restaurant Supply houses and an endless row of granite countertop shops. Makes sense, doesn't it? All your entertainment on one block, conveniently zoned so no higher use can be made of the city's most convenient downtown neighborhood!. Go to the ball game, have a brewski, then off to the whorehouse, get your countertops and all for one $40 parking fee. And if you are going to do that, might as well refuse to allow multi-use zoning in the closest in downtown neighborhood, eh? But it all makes sense: strip clubs, multi-stadia and brake shoe manufacturing all zoned in together with the Port and the I District in a muddle that should be down zoned.......forever! Brilliant. And while we are at it, throw the city's methadone clinic down there, but refuse to allow low income housing in the area. Absolute best use of the space we might imagine.

Lew Barrett
08-15-2009, 01:04 AM
Good thread though, Tim. We should keep it alive during the discovery process before the election. And how about a discussion of the City Council while we're at it? I'm perfectly serious.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
08-15-2009, 01:59 AM
I favor the tunnel replacement for the viaduct IF, and ONLY IF, they write very stiff contracts that prevent cost over-runs. (Like in Boston) You bidding contractors, we'll give you some money up-front to cover the cost of extensive soil surveys. Then bid accordingly. Run into problems after that? Your fault, your bill. Which means you also have to restrict bids to contractors that have deep enough pockets to cover the bill if they screw up, AND, ensure by contract that they cannot divide up their company so they can just declare bankruptcy and walk away. They must fulfill the terms of the contract or they don't get paid a dime. Risky for bidders? A bit. That's why you get paid the big money.

Paul Girouard
08-15-2009, 10:39 AM
How about that bag tax? Who's in favor of that? I like the idea , and if it's a issue for older / needy folks what about issuing cloth bags to them? A one time issue thing.

I know that could be bastardized , but most folks wouldn't take advantage.

((((((((( Althought I stated above that I liked the tax idea I think the follower ways to deal with getting folks to reuse there old bags or go to a cloth type bag would work better.))))))))))

Over in Anacortes at Ace hardware they give you a cloth bag with every $80.00 purchase , it's a high quality bag as well , with a sail boat embossed on it.

Most of the grocery stores here in OH give a .05 "discount" if per bag if you bring your own.

Have they tried that in the big city? Maybe lifes to impersonal down there for that?

Lew Barrett
08-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Paul, believe it or not, I agree with you on this. I voted down the proposition not because I don't like the idea of ridding ourselves of plastic bags, but because I don't care for the methodology. In the end, we need to loose the plastic bags. Personally, I'd rather pay a few cents extra for paper when it is needed (a surcharge paid directly to recover the cost of a paper bag) than a hyped surcharge for the plastic bags. Eventually people will figure out they need to bring their own reusable sacks just as it is done in Europe. How to condition the populace to this notion is a good question, though.

However, I will miss the free and ready availability of "poop sacks" for dogs. Walking the dog in the city (I realize "country folks find this repulsive) requires you to clean up after your animal. The plastic bags come in handy for that. Still, there are better solutions to all these problems. But a 20 cent enforced tax on every plastic bag seems the wrong one to me. We use canvas and insulated bags for most of our shopping already, and that's really the right answer.

Paul Girouard
08-15-2009, 11:23 AM
However, I will miss the free and ready availability of "poop sacks" for dogs. Walking the dog in the city (I realize "country folks find this repulsive) requires you to clean up after your animal. The plastic bags come in handy for that. Still, there are better solutions to all these problems. But a 20 cent enforced tax on every plastic bag seems the wrong one to me. We use canvas and insulated bags for most of our shopping already, and that's really the right answer.

I hear ya Lew. We just ran ourselves out of paper and plastic sacks , so now I have to use the smaller produce sacks when I give folks lettuce out of the garden. And yes folks here should pick up thier dogs poo just like down in the city. Our dog has a huge back yard fenced so I use a shovel and bucket for that dirt deed!

But I totally agree that re-use bags should become the norm for shopping for groceries.

This line of thinking ties right into the Woodstock thread line we're on , recent posts.

I hate the tax idea , BUT if it's what gets people to use the re-use bags , I guess it justifies itself.

BETTY-B
08-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Oh ya. I forgot about the bag tax. Nickels is out. Anyone who has been to a marina knows that those damn bags are everywhere in the water. He's looking for free money when he should be banning something that is actually doing a poopload of harm to the environment.

DAN

Paul Girouard
08-15-2009, 01:17 PM
[quote=BETTY-B;2288682]

Oh ya. I forgot about the bag tax. Nickels is out. Anyone who has been to a marina knows that those damn bags are everywhere in the water. He's looking for free money when he should be banning something that is actually doing a poopload of harm to the environment.

/quote]

I agree his motive is money, but do the ends justify the means in this case?

BETTY-B
08-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Not at all, in my opinion. I could be wrong, but I doubt it will make much of a dent in their use. Maybe if the checkers make it clear each and every time that each bag is costing twenty cents extra. Maybe it will reduce the use considerably, but a total ban is the one and only way to go on this issue.

Paul Girouard
08-15-2009, 01:32 PM
but a total ban is the one and only way to go on this issue.

Thats hard core what if you forget your bags at home , what if you just stopped in for "one thing" so didn't pack a bag in?

What about other type stores , say Woodcraft, or Hardwicks will they be in this tax envelope? Or is it totally geared at groceries stores, what about framers markets / say Pike place places?

BETTY-B
08-15-2009, 02:08 PM
I dont need a bag for one thing. This is hardly hardcore. We're talking bags here. And unlike plastic bags, paper bags go away.

Also, a free canvas grocery bag promotion would draw lots of customers. They have to be less than a buck, bought in bulk. Time for them to be a little proactive too.

Hehe. I just realized that usually when I go to Harwicks, I'm struggling to not drop everything on my way out the door because I dont have a bag. Do they even give you bags if you ask for them at Harwicks?

DAN

Paul Girouard
08-15-2009, 02:27 PM
I dont need a bag for one thing.

My "one thing" meant I picked up , you know five or six , "things", so a big arm full / small hand carry basket type stop, unintended purchases. SO you need a bag when you leave the store as you have to leave the hand carry basket inside.

This is hardly hardcore. We're talking bags here. And unlike plastic bags, paper bags go away.

Is the tax the Mayor wants only on plastic? If so I'm all for it , maybe on a national level. Might help pay for health care. I was under the impression it was on every sack regardless of type.
My bad if thats the case, but then I don't live in Seattle so the tax doesn't apply unless I shop there , which is infrequent at best. But like a hotel tax I might pay it once or twice a year so no big deal long term for me.

Also, a free canvas grocery bag promotion would draw lots of customers. They have to be less than a buck, bought in bulk. Time for them to be a little proactive too.

Hehe. I just realized that usually when I go to Harwicks, I'm struggling to not drop everything on my way out the door because I dont have a bag. Do they even give you bags if you ask for them at Harwicks?

Sadly I've never been in Harwick's , maybe thats a good thing for my wallet:eek: :D

BETTY-B
08-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Good question, Paul. On the every bag thing. I dont have time to look it up. Packing the MG for a trip to PT.

See ya later.

DAN

ADDED: Paul, ya gotta get into Hardwicks. I do too. Need a new "I got hammered at Harwicks" shirt.

pcford
08-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Sadly I've never been in Harwick's , maybe thats a good thing for my wallet:eek: :D

Dude...Hardwicks is one of the best reasons to live in Seattle!!! Go there!!

Paul Girouard
08-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Dude...Hardwicks is one of the best reasons to live in Seattle!!! Go there!!

It's on my bucket list! Just hasn't happened yet.

Where that Timmy he started this thread , whats up with that? Deserter!

pcford
08-15-2009, 03:44 PM
It's on my bucket list! Just hasn't happened yet.

Where that Timmy he started this thread , whats up with that? Deserter!

He can't stand the heat!

Yeadon
08-16-2009, 12:22 AM
I was outside ... away from my computer ... on a Saturday. Confusing, I know. I installed a new mast step. Sexiest damn thing you've ever seen.

I'm for the bag surcharge, though I'll admit that I'm not sure where the money goes. If it went to a homeless shelter, that would be optimal. Extra snow removal equipment for the mayor's neighborhood, not so optimal.

I don't know anything about the city council races. I should, but for some reason I have a feeling that the best and the brightest are not on the Seattle City Council. I think if we had districts in the city, versus an at-large set-up then I'd be more in tune with who is representing me. I wonder where the nearest council member lives?

We haven't talked about snow removal.

Hardwicks is the single greatest 5,000 square feet in America.

Lew Barrett
08-16-2009, 10:19 AM
I think for a fun evening we should have an EBS before a city council meeting, then go en masse to the meeting. A few nights like that and we'll know who's who on the City Council, and who is for readily available beeswax and bedding compound for the people and who isn't.

You gotta vote Nickels out because:
1. Big mailing and phone campaign. How's he do that on a mayor's salary during a non-partisan campaign?
2. Nobody should have the run of the place 12 years in a row.
3. Who said that thing about being in the pocket(s) of the developers.? SLUT! SLUT! SLUT! SLUT!
4. Nobody has mentioned anything (back) on Nickel's ridiculous campaign to put all the strip clubs in SODO, and to shoot down up-zoning there, which was an idea whose time has come, but whaddya think? Build a red light district downtown in our main "enterprise area?" Puleeze!

Paul Girouard
08-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I was outside ... away from my computer ... on a Saturday. Confusing, I know. I installed a new mast step. Sexiest damn thing you've ever seen.

Ya sure:rolleyes: It didn't happen if theres not photos!

Hardwicks is the single greatest 5,000 square feet in America.

Sounds big , I hear it's packed with tools! There is this gouge I've been wanting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The #7 Sweep 1 1/2" Bent gouge by Henry Taylor , I wonder if they have one in stock?

On that snow removal thing , maybe that was the city supervisors own decision to plow the Mayor's neighborhood , so HE'D LOOK good (the city shop super) , sure did help the Mayor any did it:D

I'm not sure you can pin that on the Mayor, lots of other things , yes , the snow removal thing not so much. Well unless he copped a plea that he did authorize or in some way instruct that his area got 1st dibs on plowing?? I never heard that , but then I don't live in Seattle so it may have been a newspaper ( you remember those eh Tim) article.

Yeadon
08-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Here's a rundown of the candidates. Some of them I've never heard of ...

Seattle Times Interviews (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/flatpages/local/mayoralcandidateinterviews.html)

I'd almost completely forgotten about mayoral candidate James Donaldson, former forgettable Sonic, but fairly bright guy. Donaldson lives in Magnolia.

Jan Drago ... As a longtime member of the council, I have a feeling she has pretty good insight into the type of leader that Nickels has been, and is worth listening to on this account. Not seeing a Mayor Drago in our future, however. Lives in Pioneer Square.

Kwame Garrett ... this fellow's dad was the guy who attacked former Mayor Schell with a bullhorn. Says Nickels has lost touch with the neighborhoods. Lives in the Central District.

Joe Mallahan ... rich, rich, rich, works for T-mobile. Wallingford.

Mike McGinn ... community activist, lawyer, kinda mayor-shaped, not in favor of the waterfront tunnel. Has a beard. From Greenwood.

Greg Nickels ... two term mayor. Lives in West Seattle, which isn't really in Seattle anyways. Might as well be from Kenya.

Paul Girouard
08-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Thats kind of cool to have that set-up. One of the perks of a bigger city, we just get piss poor newspaper interviews for our folks.

James D. may be a good change , he at least could take it strong to the hoop if needed!

BTW you did NOT include mast step photos , so I claim your excuse for yesterdays absence invalid. I demand a recall! Re-count, L.wing media bias , and many / any other clear points of obfuscation's! And any that aren't so obfuscated!!

Yeadon
08-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I'd made the last mast step out of some sort of oily tropical hardwood. I'd glued it up with epoxy, but most likely overclamped and starved the joint. (This is how you learn.) When the wood moved in the heat and the cold and the wet and dry, the joint failed. I was lucky to catch the failure in the driveway versus out on Puget Sound.

The new step is a solid hunk of oregon oak, through bolted via the keel. I'll try to get a photo up today.

Lew Barrett
08-16-2009, 11:52 AM
My vote's for grabs. What say we make a block? I think we can all agree Susan Hutchison is out for County Executive. That would be a place to start. So far you haven't said anything about McGinn that makes me not want to consider him. The tunnel is a dark hole that is planned to four through four miles of fill from the old regrade. Not a very reassuring prospect.

Paul Girouard
08-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I think we can all agree Susan Hutchison is out for County Executive.

Why? Not that I can vote down there , but why is it so assumed she's out?

The tunnel is a dark hole that is planned to four through four miles of fill from the old regrade. Not a very reassuring prospect.

That ditch tunnel idea is NUTS and will end up some how costing all state wide big dollars. I hope to hell some one in Seattle has the common sense to see that a tunnel thru a 100 year old "Denny regrade " area is a cash HOG!

Figure out some othet way , PLEASE! Or live with what you got, re-engineer / cross brace , what ever. BUT DO NOT DIG A TUNNEL!

Yeadon
08-16-2009, 01:18 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2676/3826490085_bb9de9c92f.jpg

A mild diversion from the politics of diversion. My new mast step. Unlike the last one, this step is a solid hunk of oak. Also, I decided to notch it across a frame, giving it a bit more of a footprint. It's through bolted and bedded with dolfinite.

Below, the mortise and tenon seem happy enough.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3583/3826490501_3ffcf59fe1.jpg

Winds are currently 10 knots out of the west. I'll give it a test this evening.

I wonder if any of our candidates sail.

johnw
08-16-2009, 02:39 PM
So who's our county executive? Goodspaceguy? I understand he's running on a platform of colonizing space.

Yeadon
08-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, you certainly can't colonize negative space. Or can you?

pcford
08-16-2009, 02:49 PM
What kind of head on the thwart seat fasteners? Just fishing for something to criticize. Thanks.

Yeadon
08-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Flat head square drive pretty much as far as the eye can see.

Some eagle eye out there will note the rivet that is drilled way off center. It's pretty much bowing and waving at you.

pcford
08-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Flat head square drive pretty much as far as the eye can see.

That's what I thought. Wouldn't straight slots be appropriate here?

On the other hand my late brother said I was obsessed with style.

Yeadon
08-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Here on the frontier we use square drive for thwarts, and pretty much everywhere else on an open boat. You're not from around here, huh?

pcford
08-16-2009, 03:18 PM
As much as I preach the Gospel of square drives...I prefer not to see them exposed...different stokes, one supposes.

Paul Girouard
08-16-2009, 04:15 PM
As much as I preach the Gospel of square drives...I prefer not to see them exposed...different stokes, one supposes.

My,,,,,, oh my,,,,,,, preaching and gospel in the same line of type :eek:

That rivet is a way off center to the left eh Tim! Think about that eh!

OK it may mean nothing , but it could mean every thing, OOOOOOOOOOmmmmmmmmmUUUUUUUUUUU chant!

pcford
08-16-2009, 05:10 PM
My,,,,,, oh my,,,,,,, preaching and gospel in the same line of type :eek:

That rivet is a way off center to the left eh Tim! Think about that eh!

Boy...ya got me how to hit the center on those frames. I can't do it.

Yeadon
08-16-2009, 05:10 PM
I should apologize to the ghost of l. francis hisself.

Yeadon
08-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Boy...ya got me how to hit the center on those frames. I can't do it.

You gotta use the force.

Captain Blight
08-16-2009, 05:23 PM
We haven't talked about snow removal.

Doesn't the rain take care of most of it?

Paul Girouard
08-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Doesn't the rain take care of most of it?

Eventually, yes! We just don't like to wait , sometimes a week or so, for that system to work.

Yeadon
08-16-2009, 05:25 PM
No.

Paul Girouard
08-16-2009, 05:26 PM
No.

See, city people are impatient!:D

pcford
08-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey, we were talking about what to do about the scourge and menace of high speed boy bikers who wear synthetic fabrics of colors which do not appear in nature.

If you don't think this is a problem, go for a stroll on the Burke Gilman trail.

Yeadon
08-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Two things.

1) The Burke Gilman is a de fact bike highway for commuters. Stay out of the way. Even the mayor knows this. You'll never see him out walking on the Burke Gilman. Yes, dorks in Lance Armstrong outfits are irritating.
2) I tried out the mast step this evening off Shilshole. No major disasters.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2556/3828502641_6395c2e69c.jpg

Paul Girouard
08-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Two things.

1) The Burke Gilman is a de fact bike highway for commuters. Stay out of the way. Even the mayor knows this. You'll never see him out walking on the Burke Gilman.

Ooohhhhhh, a liberal / progressive cat fight! :D

Tim are you saying PC's more stupid than that dumb arsed Mayor? Jeeesh thats a low blow :eek:

So PC what ya think of that, you square drive screw Nazi? Or would you be a straight slot Nazi? :confused: Oh what ever, I think Timmy just threw down on ya, I could be wrong maybe he thinks the Mayor is quite intelligent , although that line above doesn't indicate that.

2) I tried out the mast step this evening off Shilshole. No major disasters.

Nice night for it.

BTW what is the bag tax storey? It sounds like every bag will be taxed at just grocery stores. Is that true? Or is it just plastic bags at groceries?

The ad's I've heard seem to just say "bags" so I take that as any and all.

pcford
08-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Two things.

1) The Burke Gilman is a de fact bike highway for commuters. Stay out of the way. Even the mayor knows this. You'll never see him out walking on the Burke Gilman. Yes, dorks in Lance Armstrong outfits are irritating.

Enough about your boat...you are not in the right neighborhood for that kind of thing.

Back to the Burke Gilman Trail....one could say the say thing about bikes on arterials I suppose.

When my gf was going to graduate school she walked to the UW. After several near misses with the aforementioned Spandex bike dorks and witnessing one hit a kid, we had to think of another strategy. I bought a two speed American girls bike...likely a Schwinn with one of those big wire baskets. It baffled the boy racers...they would just shake their heads like they could not believe what they were seeing.

Much safer though.

Yeadon
08-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Here are some people who have put together a website about the Seattle Bag Tax (http://www.seattlebagtax.org/). From what I can tell, they're not funded by the petroleum lobby. But I'm having trouble telling whose side they are leaning toward.

Here's the referendum.

Ballot Title of Referendum 1

The Seattle City Council passed Ordinance Number 122752 (http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/%7Escripts/nph-brs.exe) concerning imposing a 20-cent fee on disposable shopping bags. A sufficient number of voters signed a petition to refer the ordinance to a public vote. This ordinance would require grocery, drug and convenience stores to collect the fee for every disposable shopping bag provided to customers. Stores with annual gross sales of under $1,000,000 could keep all the fees they collected, to cover their costs. Other stores could keep 25% of the fees they collected, and would send the remainder to the City to support garbage reduction and recycling programs. The stores would get a business-tax deduction for the fees they collected.
Should this ordinance be:
Approved?
Rejected?

Yeadon
08-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Enough about your boat...you are not in the right neighborhood for that kind of thing.

Well, since you mentioned my boat ... when I drilled the mortise for the step, I moved it about a quarter inch aft. It pitched the top of the spar slightly forward. And honestly, my boat has never pointed better.

Paul Girouard
08-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Well thats clear as mud:rolleyes:, the official referendum says disposable , paper bags would fit that descriptions. That would mean any bag that was not intended for re-use like a cloth sack.

The website linked mention polystyrene bags which would be a sort of plastic.

No wonder these things cause issues. :mad:

Yeadon
08-17-2009, 10:00 PM
According to the Stranger ... the polls for the primary say:

Nickels 26%
Mallahan 22%
McGinn 21%
Drago 7%
Donaldson 7%
Campbell 3%
Sigler 2%
Garrett 2%

To me, this poll indicates that 74 percent don't want Mayor Nickels to return.

Lew Barrett
08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
He's dead meat if they get it down to two or maybe even three candidates.

The Mallahan smear phone calls were interesting. Anybody else get one?

pcford
08-17-2009, 10:25 PM
He's dead meat if they get it down to two or maybe even three candidates.

The Mallahan smear phone calls were interesting. Anybody else get one?

I got one...

Are any of these guys in favor of a viaduct?

Yeadon
08-17-2009, 10:47 PM
There was a 3.9 percent plus/minus on the poll, basically giving us a three way tie.

Here. (http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2009/08/17/one-last-look-at-the-mayors-race)

Lew Barrett
08-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Viaduct? I don't know but I love that road even with it's "faults," major of which are those two damn ramps across Western. And the sense, after the Oakland event, of wanting to rush through the bottom section when I'm in it.

Yeadon
08-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Views.

http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/05sep/images/along.jpg

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/04/29/2003999787.jpg

http://www.djc.com/stories/images/20041020/Viaduct1.jpg

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/E8DE85CC-EB79-48E3-81C1-B464884C8D78/0/SCENIC_SODO_AWV.jpg

http://blog.seattlepi.com/myseattlepix/photos/1011199_450.jpg

Yeadon
08-17-2009, 11:50 PM
http://www.reload.ws/blog/rebuildyes_sm.jpg

Yeadon
08-17-2009, 11:52 PM
And this one.

http://teresacentric.com/images/horseyviaduct.jpg

BETTY-B
08-17-2009, 11:55 PM
And the sense, after the Oakland event, of wanting to rush through the bottom section when I'm in it.

Too funny. I think about that every time too.

My mother was on it in the big quake of '65. She said giant chunks of stuff that was lodged between the expansion cracks was falling all over the place. Her little Fiat was litteraly jumping off the ground and nobody slowed down. All more than anxious to get off the damn thing.

I was in standstill traffic trying to get off for the M's/Yankee game the other night and couldnt help but notice just how badly cracked that thing is. Freakin' scary.

What I dont get is the enormous cost to dig and cover a dang hole/tunnel. The technology to do so in a wet environment has long ago been figured out.

DAN

botebum
08-17-2009, 11:58 PM
The Seattle Politics Thread? Ok fine. Those messed up Aussies got one. Why not you? I'll go with Sarah, in the fifth, by a nose. That's right boyos ... I'd hit it:D

Doug

Yeadon
08-18-2009, 12:02 AM
You're just a horrid little man.

pcford
08-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Views.

YOu will note that the only people worth mentioning that will see these "views" will be ferry commuters. Otherwise the viewers will be fat-assed downtown businesspeople, rich people living in downtown condos and tourist. How cares about any of these categories.

And anyway, how often do you do downtown? Got a good place to buy a hot dog, t-shirt or ice cream cone down there. Must have...I see no reason to go there.

Now long ago when I had just moved to this burg, and puppies were the oldest thing in the world, Fisheries was on the waterfront! and at least one fish buyer and a sail loft. The waterfront small boat harbor actually worked. You could come to downtown Seattle and tie up!! Mr. Edwin Monk's office was a block away.

Now it's just a hangout for hot dog kissers.

Yeadon
08-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Ballard Locks ... circa 1950s. As found on VintageSeattle.org (http://www.vintageseattle.org).

http://www.vintageseattle.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/locks_ballard_01.jpg

pcford
08-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Elizabeth Campbell is pro-viaduct.

Yeadon
08-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Who is that?

pcford
08-18-2009, 01:51 AM
Who is that?

One of the mayorial candidates who is opposed to taking money out of the peoples' pockets and into the pockets of downtown developers...that's what the tunnel...or the even more lamentable alternative...dumping the viaduct traffic on city streets.

I, Rowboat
08-18-2009, 11:09 AM
I favor the politican who apeals to our highest sensibilities during the campaign, but who's chances for any real impact is then crushed under the weight of burecratic inertia, party infighting, and a credulous, irrational public intentionally misinformed by corporate media.

Yeadon
08-18-2009, 01:45 PM
If you can't believe in a candidate, believe in a burger (http://www.flickr.com/photos/suomynona/sets/72157612880184094/).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2627/3823537471_e6dc58c213.jpg

Yeadon
08-19-2009, 01:16 AM
From the stranger's blog, the slog ...

The results as of 10:00 p.m.: City of Seattle Mayor
Mike McGinn 26.58%
Joe Mallahan 25.77%
Greg Nickels 25.06%

City of Seattle Council Position No. 4
Sally Bagshaw 49.99%
David Bloom 18.20%

City of Seattle Council Position No. 6
Nick Licata 52.82%
Jessie Israel 29.99%

City of Seattle Council Position No. 8
Mike O'Brien 35.58%
Robert Rosencrantz 19.38%

City of Seattle Referendum No. 1
REJECTED 58.09%
APPROVED 41.91%

King County Executive
Susan Hutchison 37.37%
Dow Constantine 22.41%

King County Council Position No. 9
Reagan Dunn 71.86%
Beverly Harison Tonda 20.02%

Yeadon
08-19-2009, 01:19 AM
http://www.thestranger.com/images/blogimages/2009/08/18/1250654822-mcginn3.jpg

McGinn and his bike bag arrive at his primary results party.

BETTY-B
08-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Wow... Nickles might not even make it here. That would be a surprise. Good, Drago's gone. There's likely a good party going on over at Mallahans.

Looks like Mallahan is over at Fado Irish Pub(Where the hell is that?). Is McGinn over at Finbars place then?

Yeadon
08-19-2009, 02:08 AM
Fado is on First and Columbia, I think. It's a big chain Irish bar.

McGinn, oddly enough, is at a bar called "Havana." I've never heard of it. If he knew what was good for him, he'd be at the other chain Irish bar, Kells.

Nickels is back at home in Kenya.

Paul Girouard
08-19-2009, 08:08 AM
I see Susan Hutchinson did well. Lew never answered as to why he
discounted / thru her under the bus in one of his posts.

So do you think this bike riding guy will still be riding his bike to work IF he's elected?

That would be a interesting poll and even more interesting to watch for when he abandons the bike for a big black Caddie!

Bobcat
08-19-2009, 11:03 AM

So do you think this bike riding guy will still be riding his bike to work IF he's elected?

That would be a interesting poll and even more interesting to watch for when he abandons the bike for a big black Caddie!

Tim Hill, former King County Exec, biked to work, but didn't make a big deal of it

BETTY-B
08-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Susan Hutchinson is to the right of Texas. She would be a disaster.

She's a creationist who believes we should teach creationism and anti-evolution beliefs in high schools.

The fact that she is doing so well is purely because of her name recognition from being the news anchor. She's just another lie.

Paul Girouard
08-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Susan Hutchinson is to the right of Texas. She would be a disaster.

She's a creationist who believes we should teach creationism and anti-evolution beliefs in high schools.

The fact that she is doing so well is purely because of her name recognition from being the news anchor. She's just another lie.

Thats what I thought the answer would be.

Lew Barrett
08-19-2009, 07:19 PM
There's more to the SH story than that. She tried to keep her dismissal suit under wraps, turns out they fired her because she didn't work and play well with others. Anyway, if she's running for office, her records should be public, donthcha think? I could care less what party she's in, but she did declare as a REp, then tried to run as an indie. Pretty disingenuous. You can read all about it in last Sunday's paper, Paul.

Paul Girouard
08-19-2009, 07:25 PM
I heard a bit about it , the law suit with KIRO, on the KIRO news cast last week. It was not very clear in that broadcast what happened. They did mention she had called in sick and was seem at a resort beach down south Oregon or the SW Wa. coastal area.

Yes they should release the records, the public needs to know what or really who they are voting for.

Her past work history or "celebrity" seems to work both ways.

johnw
08-19-2009, 07:30 PM

Near as I can tell, she's getting by on name recognition, camera presence and stagecraft. Dow Constantine at least has a record of supporting the ferries, which is an issue that matters to me because I ride them to visit family.

The Seattle Times had a surprisingly good editorial on the race.

Partisans Constantine, Hutchison will square off for King County executive

In campaigning for a job declared nonpartisan King Count executive voters have chosen Dow Constantine, showy liberal, and Susan Hutchison, closet conservative.

PRIMARY voters knocked out the two candidates this page endorsed for King County executive, Ross Hunter and Fred Jarrett. In the pack of candidates all of whom were trying to sound middle-of-the-road Hunter and Jarrett actually were. They are gone.
What we have now is Dow Constantine, showy liberal, versus Susan Hutchison, closet conservative.
In campaigning for a job voters declared nonpartisan, Constantine has been trying to "out" Hutchison as a Republican, and she has been shy and coy and smiling and not admitting it. Voters need more substance than this.
From Constantine, voters need to know he's more than a public-sector union candidate. On employee health-care premiums, he has offered a token plan for nonunion highly paid employees only. On his Web site, he promises one union he will "fight rollbacks" of health coverage, which costs taxpayers more than $1,000 per employee per month. He's for cutting hardly anything. How will he make ends meet?
From Hutchison, voters need to know who she is. She has offered a stage-managed campaign, with poll-tested things that have a good aroma but evaporate under strong light. She does not like questions, and has gone to great lengths not to answer them. She skated through the primary by being glib, smiling and having a name voters remember from TV. But she has offered fewer specifics than Constantine.

Bobcat
08-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Well Mayor Nickels just conceded.

Guess that happens when you're as unpopular as he was

Lew Barrett
08-22-2009, 12:46 AM
He was proud of it. He was unpopular with everybody that didn't matter. The people that mattered....they liked him.
For a second I thought...maybe I've been harsh on him. Then I thought....nah. Asshole.
What he did to annoy me:

1. Killed the Viaduct almost single handed and was a proponent of the tunnel. (No points to the city council, though).
2. Has kept a lid on Sodo for as long as he's been mayor. The place wants to be something....let it be!
3. The S.L.U.T. Wait...let me write that a bit bolder...S.L.U.T. What a joke,
4. If the Slut thing wasn't clear, his intolerable support of developers and the notion that this city, like every other place in the country, needed density and high rises above all. Hey jerk......we didn't like that! Density ios NOT A PLUS.
And wasn't that monorail fiasco an event on his watch? The City Council's a bunch of nannies too, so there's plenty of blamne to share on that one..

I think of the remaining pair, MCGinn is moderatly more appealing. But I am very unclear about the quality of anybody running. But Nickels had to go.

ANd John, I read that Seattle Times editorial and found it informative. Paul, it was the information contained in it that I originally referenced. I just figured everybody read the paper and you would know what I was talking about. I assumed you were well informed but I'll dig deep and say that I'm man enough to apologize for that :)

Paul Girouard
08-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Paul, it was the information contained in it that I originally referenced. I just figured everybody read the paper and you would know what I was talking about. I assumed you were well informed but I'll dig deep and say that I'm man enough to apologize for that :)

I rarely read the Seattle Times or PI, well if it was still being printed? Thats why I asked. I guess that wrong, I should look up every thing myself, but seeing I can't vote on any of this I guess I shouldn't bother, nor care. Really it's a waste of my time.

I'm not well informed on Seattle politics at all. And pretty much have given up on our local politics as well. I may quit voting altogether, it to seems to be a waste of effort.

Much like WBF.

Captain Blight
08-22-2009, 12:07 PM
I've been following this thread with interest; my grandfather ended up in Seattle after emigrating from Norway, ran three boats out of Lake Union longlining halibut and trolling for salmon; fished the nurse shark boom and did jockeying for yellowtail down Baja way too. My mom was reared in Queen Anne and Ballard. I have a few friends who live there (more, if you stretch the word a bit to include forumites :)) and I have many times *almost* moved there. It's a tremendous city, unparalleled in many respects. Gotta love Pike Place.

But I gotta say, the two things that have kept me from moving--okay, three things, can't ignore the rain-- are the abominable traffic and the high cost of housing. When thinking about moving, I always entertained the thought of buying an older boat and simply living aboard at Fisherman's Terminal.

SO, how do the various candidates stand up on various boat-related issues? Liveaboards, the ferry system, public access to the waterfront, and how in the world Ivar's chowder tastes so much better than the pale sad imitation available in the heartland? What are they doing to protect my chowdaaaah???

ron ll
08-27-2009, 01:23 PM
State Senator Ed Murray is considering entering the Seattle Mayor's race as a write-in candidate. Thankfully, we may not have to choose between only Mallahan and McGinn. (Altho I'll have to read up a bit on Murray yet.)

Yeadon
08-27-2009, 01:38 PM
I think if Ed Murray wanted to be mayor, he should have run in the primary. He might've been great. Having the foresight and guts to get into the race when only you think you have a chance says something about a candidate. You have to stick your nose out there and be prepared to get it hammered right back in. If you survive, then that says something, too.

Waiting until you think there are a pair of unknowns between you and the desk of hizzoner, not exactly inspiring. More like political opportunism, versus making the argument you're the right person for the job.

I have nothing against Ed Murray, incidentally.

ron ll
08-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Waiting until you think there are a pair of unknowns between you and the desk of hizzoner, not exactly inspiring. More like political opportunism, versus making the argument you're the right person for the job.

You might be right. But giving him the benefit of the doubt, it may also be a case of waking up and saying, "Oh my god. Look what we're left with." After all, he already has a pretty good job. Seattle is a pretty big city to be hiring amateurs to run it. (Altho we've certainly done it before :D )

ron ll
08-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Not only does he want to shovel that traffic onto surface streets, he also wants to make the city streets more bike friendly, read less-car friendly. I'm really tired of this city demonizing the car in favor of neon billboards with attitudes riding bicycles. (Hear that Pat? :) )

P.S. For the record, I have nothing against bicycle commuters. But they are a different breed than the recreational cyclists. And its pretty easy to tell the difference just by looking at their attire.

Yeadon
08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Remember last year when they shut down most of I-5 northbound for repairs? Instead of massive backups, people figured out other ways to go, or they didn't go. The city didn't exactly fall to its knees. That didn't happen until the snow arrived.

Someday this town has to start weaning itself from the car, and moving more toward mass transit. Today is as good as any.

On any given morning half of I-5 is filled with cars that have one driver and no passengers. Lazy. Lazy. Lazy.

ron ll
08-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Cars are not going to go away just because you make it harder for them to operate efficiently. You just end up wasting more fuel as cars take three times as long to get somewhere, most of it idling.

Yeadon
08-27-2009, 02:02 PM
The most fuel efficient car is turned off and parked.

Have you guys seen the comedy rant about "Everything is wonderful, nobody is happy"? This discussion reminds me of that.

Yeadon
08-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Hmmm ... I'll have to take a look around on opinions regarding surface street options. I'm under the impression that it is a different method of moving traffic, but not all that inefficient. I don't think it's as bad as you guys fear.

Reminds me of what another fellow said up higher in the thread ... that it seems like San Francisco did okay after the earthquake when they knocked down their viaduct-like structure.

I honestly think the viaduct was one of Seattle's great mistakes, and when you look at the cost of a replacement tunnel - the numbers appear staggering. If you're going to spend this type of money, expand light rail, build more sluts, plug money into schools, fund more homeless shelters with the mental health counseling support they really need. Or dig a tunnel.

Now then, where are those pictures of Snoose?

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
08-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Ballard Locks ... circa 1950s. As found on VintageSeattle.org (http://www.vintageseattle.org).

http://www.vintageseattle.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/locks_ballard_01.jpg

Look! There's Lew's boat, halfway back! Look! There's Lew! :D

Yeadon
08-28-2009, 01:18 PM
I love that photo. The locks are probably my all-time favorite Seattle location to hang out, people watch, and stare at boats.

Federally-owned and operated, too.

ron ll
08-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Notice that the skippers actually have skippers' hats? Any boats there we recognize? What is the large one on the left?

Yeadon
08-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Look at how green the walls are ...

pcford
08-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Reminds me of what another fellow said up higher in the thread ... that it seems like San Francisco did okay after the earthquake when they knocked down their viaduct-like structure.

Totally different situation...The viaduct carries through traffic...the Embarcadero freeway just dumped the cars in downtown San Francisco.

Yeadon
08-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Hey Pat,

Critical Mass tonight at 6 p.m., Westlake Center. See you there?

- Tim

pcford
08-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Hey Pat,

Critical Mass tonight at 6 p.m., Westlake Center. See you there?

- Tim

Why does the city of Seattle indulge these smug self righteous jerks? Nothing proves the lack of maturity of this town more effectively than this.

I saw them totally plug the Aurora Bridge....

They have physically assaulted those that disagree with their policy of denying the streets to anyone else but them.
A defense was that the Hell's Angels do the same thing; perhaps the only time the Angels have been cited as a role model.

I'd like to decorate this mob with a little something...yes. Nothing but thugs in polyester.

Don't get me started.

Yeadon
08-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Pat, you're a hipster in denial.

pcford
08-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Pat, you're a hipster in denial.

You could not be implying that these Critical Mass dimwits are hipsters?

Yeadon
08-28-2009, 04:24 PM
I think they've just stumbled upon a reasonable way to meet girls.

ron ll
08-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I think they've just stumbled upon a reasonable way to meet girls.

By using bright plummage? :D

johnw
08-28-2009, 06:48 PM
By using bright plummage? :D
And strutting about in a dominant manner.

Yeadon
08-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Seems that you boys know the drill.

pcford
08-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Strangely enough...and I am not kidding...Rose has just finished complaining about a biker that was speeding on the sidewalk...nearly hit her...yet screamed at her. Just idiots.

johnw
08-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Seattle law says you can ride on the sidewalk at a walking pace.

pcford
08-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Seattle law says you can ride on the sidewalk at a walking pace.

Ya, right. When was the last time you saw one of Seattle's finest stopping a polyester-clad boy racer for speeding down a sidewalk? I have never seen a bicyclist stopped for _any_ reason whatsoever in 40 some years of living here.

I have seen a bicyclist exceeding the arterial speed limit ON THE SIDEWALK!! I paced him in my car.

Hardwicks has a sign to beware of the sidewalk speeding jerks as you leave the store.

Rose has a friend whose mother was crippled for life by one of them. I have a friend whose shoulder was injured in a pedestrian/bike boy collision. Required surgery. The guy picked his bike up and rode off.

pcford
08-28-2009, 10:01 PM
I've been hit. ULA has been hit. And my old dog was hit by them. It really is bad. The next time I get hit, I'm hittin' back.

Jerks act like they own the damn road AND the sidewalk. They won't give pedestrians the same rights and courtesy that they demand from car drivers.

Smug self-entitled jerks. Carry no insurance, of course.

We walk a lot...especially Rose...between Fremont and downtown. They are a menace.

By the way...the trail down the west side of Lake Union is wonderfully free of these obnoxious pests.

Paul Girouard
08-28-2009, 11:02 PM
A stick in thier spokes might help. Or carry some tacks :D

Yeadon
10-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Anybody else watch tonight's debate? McGinn was shockingly tough. Mallahan seemed like a guy not used to being challenged.

Lew Barrett
10-22-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm out of town and missed all the fun.

Re the locks photo. looks like Bryant was selling all the boats here that year, and I can't identify any for sure, though all those CCs look familiar!

Know what's odd? Not a sailboat in the lot. Not one.

Who gets the nod re: the debate?

Yeadon
10-22-2009, 01:45 AM
McGinn was a bulldog. He just came out swinging. I think he intimidated Mallahan. McGinn claimed that while he was against the tunnel, he thought that the political critical mass was for the tunnel ... so therefore it was his job to make sure the city taxpayers didn't get stuck with any cost overruns. At least, this was his logic. He claimed that Mallahan was being bankrolled by the same companies that would profit from the tunnel and other improvements, and therefore wasn't to be trusted. Claimed Mallahan never asks the hard questions on these projects, but defers always to capital improvements.

A helluva offensive manuever in the face of a flip-flop right before an election. Mallahan just didn't have the debate skills to keep up, and McGinn was surprisingly tough. Hard to say though if anybody really watches these things. It's not exactly the presidency we're talking about here.

The debate is here (http://www.king5.com/news/specials/politics/stories/NW_102109POB-seattle-mayor-debate-TP.23c356f14.html). Jean Enerson moderated.

Yeadon
10-22-2009, 01:53 AM
One note ... I like the type of campaign that McGinn has run. As of at least a few weeks ago, he had one paid employee. Everybody else was a volunteer. Tonight he said that his volunteers had logged more than 20,000 volunteer hours. He is primarily bankrolled by small donations from voters and factions across the city. For whatever reason, this appeals to me.

Mallahan has plunged nearly $100,000 of his own money into his own campaign, a bit less than half of what he's raised. This was certainly his right ... but my gut trusts the other method more.

However, last I checked Mallahan had a lead in the polls. Not huge, but bigger than the margin of error.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
10-22-2009, 02:06 AM
I tend to favor McGinn, but winced when he went anti-gun in the earlier debate, for the reasons outlines in the following article. Mallahan says that the city will lose the legal fight (he's right based on recent legal decisions), and rather than run up big legal bills, the money could be spent on other countermeasures. I have to agree with him on that. From the Seattle PI:

Will gun ban debate backfire on McGinn?
The flashpoint in Seattle's mayoral race has switched from the Alaskan Way Viaduct tunnel replacement to Mayor Nickels' new gun ban (http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/archives/182099.asp) on municipal property.
At Sunday night's KIRO-TV debate (http://www.kirotv.com/video/21333903/index.html) candidates Joe Mallahan and Mike McGinn clashed over robocalls McGinn's campaign is placing that accuse Mallahan of "siding with the NRA" because he doesn't fully support the gun ban.
Not surprisingly, Mallahan objected to McGinn's tactics. The Seattle Times reported (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2010091370_mayor19m.html?syndication=rss) on this debate exchange:
"Mike and his campaign chose to conduct a lie campaign," said Mallahan, adding that his wife received one of the calls. "Mike, the Seattle voters deserve an apology. I deserve an apology."
When asked if he would defend in court the ban enacted by Mayor Greg Nickels, Mallahan said he may not, because it is "not a pragmatic way of addressing public-safety concerns."
"I don't owe an apology, because we told the public that Mr. Mallahan did not support the gun ban, and you heard that right now, here, he doesn't," McGinn said.
Just as defeated incumbent Greg Nickels' last-minute attacks (http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/archives/176290.asp) against Mallahan and McGinn helped boost their candidacies late in the primary, McGinn's gun robo calls could backfire on him.
First off, nobody likes getting robocalls. Then there's the substance. Mallahan, the T-Mobile vice president, has labored to come off as the level headed pragmatist to McGinn's dreamy idealist. In uncertain times, Mallahan is hoping Seattle voters will opt for a pragmatist.
Nickels' gun ban - which consists of signs posted on city property informing people of the weapons prohibition - will be challenged in court and the city will almost certainly lose. State Attorney General Rob McKenna says (http://www.atg.wa.gov/opinion.aspx?section=topic&id=21188) it is illegal - cities lack the authority to ban guns because local laws would conflict with state regulations.
It will cost real money for the city to defend the ban.
In his 2008 report, City Attorney Tom Carr said civil division attorneys provided more than 84,000 hours of legal service to the city, costing about $5.8 million. Carr said that worked out to be about $70 per hour - not bad at all for legal fees. But even at $70 an hour defending the gun ban will take money away from other areas at a time Seattle is facing a $72 million operating budget.
Mallahan would argue that $70 an hour could be better spent elsewhere. We'll see how many Seattle voters agree with him.

Bobcat
10-22-2009, 09:48 AM
I had been rejecting McGinn out of hand because of the tunnel. Now that he has flip flopped, er changed his mind, I am consider him

johnw
10-22-2009, 12:51 PM
I got a robo call from the the McGinn campaign claiming Mallahan supports the NRA position on guns. It seemed desperate and dirty.

Yeadon
10-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Robo calls are extremely lame. I think we have an especially low tolerance around here for them, too.

johnw
10-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I think the robocall thing was a major mistake.

Lew Barrett
10-28-2009, 09:41 AM
OK, what's the latest? Who is for whom, and what are we doing about the other positions?

Robocalls escalating here to intolerable levels!

I, Rowboat
10-28-2009, 09:58 AM
I honestly think the viaduct was one of Seattle's great mistakes, and when you look at the cost of a replacement tunnel - the numbers appear staggering. If you're going to spend this type of money, expand light rail, build more sluts, plug money into schools, fund more homeless shelters with the mental health counseling support they really need. Or dig a tunnel.

If I was running for mayor of Seattle, my motto would be "A Slut in Every Neighborhood!"

Captain Blight
10-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Um. Usually, there already is.

Yeadon
10-28-2009, 02:03 PM
OK, what's the latest? Who is for whom, and what are we doing about the other positions?

Robocalls escalating here to intolerable levels!

Who are they from? I don't have a landline, just a cell.

I think the market will dictate the end of robocalls soon enough.

ron ll
10-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Who are they from? I don't have a landline, just a cell.

They're from McGinn. Haven't heard any from Mallahan. I'm still really pissed that those are the only two choices.

Yeadon
10-28-2009, 02:46 PM
You never know ... one might win and be great. It's all so very unknown.

I don't understand why McGinn is hitting the robocalls. I'd love to hear the internal justification. They must think it'll work.

Yeadon
11-04-2009, 02:00 AM
So far ...

Seattle Mayor

50.03% - Mike McGinn
48.96% - Joe Mallahan

In other words, a far left progressive is about to beat a far left progressive for mayor. Gotta love this town.

BETTY-B
11-04-2009, 03:34 AM
Phew! Looks like Hutchison is getting kicked squarely in the teeth.

Dow Constantine 57.01%
Susan Hutchison 42.76%

johnw
11-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Shall we start a pool on when one or the other concedes? I've got Thursday.

Lew Barrett
11-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Read in the paper this AM: about 500 votes separate the two. There's sure to be somebody demanding a recount. One hundred thousand votes plus or minus. Does that seem like a light turnout?

johnw
11-05-2009, 01:52 PM
I had thought that McGinn had a better get-out-the-vote effort, and he'd be the one gaining as the count wore on.That may still kick in, but so far it hasn't. Looks like we're in for a long haul.

Yeadon
11-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I mailed in right before the last mail pickup on election day, so that'll be one extra for mcginn in the coming days. Might help.

I smell a recount, too.

According to the Seattle Times:

An automatic recount is triggered if the candidates are separated by fewer than 2,000 votes and one-half of 1 percent of the total votes cast.

BETTY-B
11-05-2009, 02:46 PM
The two people I have asked if they sent in their votes both said they let it slip. Kept meaning to send it, but never did. Maybe this mail-in thing is having a tough time catching on? A hundred thousand seems low to me too.

DAN

johnw
11-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Off-year elections always have a low turnout. That's a help to Republicans, usually. In this case, I think it helped McGinn, who seems to have had more impassioned supporters. I do think we get higher turnout with mail-in ballots.

Yep, I reckon we'll end up in recount territory.