PDA

View Full Version : Do real animal lovers like cats?

TimH
08-13-2009, 05:00 PM
For the longest time I was against getting a cat. I have tons of bird feeders outside as wel as 3 indoor birds. I have never cared for cats.

Finally I was convinced to allow a cat as there was a nest of kittens living under the deck when I bought this place.

So now a year later the yard is full of dead birds, voles and shrews. This cat is constantly out there torturing and maiming any creature it can get its claws into.

Everytime I say anything about it I am accused of being the evil animal hater.

Seems to me a real animal lover wouldnt like cats.

Keith Wilson
08-13-2009, 05:03 PM
http://www.thedvs.net/video/funny/funny-cat/evil-cat.jpg

Seriously, they're carnivores. That's what carnivores do. They do often settle down and get lazier as they get older, though.

Nanoose
08-13-2009, 05:04 PM
So those that like cats aren't real, or aren't animal lovers, or are merely fake (as opposed to 'real') animal lovers? Or, would their love of cats therefore indicate cats aren't animals at all?

This says nothing about those who love cats and hate birds.

I see problems with this one, Tim, no matter how you slice it. ;)

johnw
08-13-2009, 05:07 PM
I love cats. I love birds. My cats live indoors. They'll live longer because of that. You do have to play with them more so that they can satisfy their need to hunt, but if you like cats, that's not a problem.

goodbasil
08-13-2009, 05:09 PM
I hate cats. Especially Basil. And he hates me. The only thing I'm good for as far as he's concerned, is that I can work a canopener.

seanz
08-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Our cat is mostly blind, so he can't catch birds.
He can catch mice by 'ear' though.
:)

Tom Montgomery
08-13-2009, 05:17 PM
What johnw said.

TimH
08-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Seriously, they're carnivores. That's what carnivores do. They do often settle down and get lazier as they get older, though.

Our dogs are carnivores too. But they arent allowed to do what comes natural when it comes to the cat. Why should the cat be when it comes to birds?

Keith Wilson
08-13-2009, 05:21 PM
I like cats, but I tell you, finding a headless baby rabbit on the doorstep in the morning is a bit much . . . .

TimH
08-13-2009, 05:22 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.wordpress.com/files/2009/01/funny-pictures-cat-threatens-to-kill-and-eat-you.jpg

John B
08-13-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm conflicted. We had a nice bird population here around the house but about a year ago we inherited a cat. It adopted us.
Anyway, the thing kills at least 1 bird a week now.
Funny cat story. Last night I hurfed a rock at the fence beside / behind the local Tomcat mugger/ raper. I had no intention of hitting it, just wanted to give it a fright. Anyway the rock hits a paling( 6ft wooden palings) and boofed the whole paling off into next doors driveway.:eek:
The cat ran for it , thank goodness no one ( no cars )were home next door, I had to shoot over there and tack the thing back on tout suite.:D
My wife laughed her head off at me.

Nailgun fences.. they don't build em like they used to.:rolleyes:

TimH
08-13-2009, 05:24 PM
A couple years ago I saw an eagle carrying a dead cat along the highway. I thnk it was roadkill.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-13-2009, 05:27 PM
I have never had a cat until I moved to my present house. With the farm down the road, there was a substantive feral cat population, getting ever larger. One of my tenants left a cat after they moved... Ryan. He has been fixed and cared for by me, and is a great cat. Like most fixed toms, he doesn't catch anything except the couch, the bed, and the food bowl. We also have Charles, who is fixed, and is the local enforcer. We have fixed two others, a male and a female, and they are outside cats, barely social. With the fixed toms, they keep the territory clear, and the cat population has definitely lessened. Helen, the little female kills a lot of mice and moles, but she eats them, and gets cat food as well. It's what cats do. I will always be a dog person first, but I felt, and still feel responsible for the animals around me that benefit from my care.

seanz
08-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Cats are cats, and they do kill birds, voles, mice, you name it if its likely meat they kill it. There's no getting around it, it's built in. I have found that if you give them potted meat to eat they are less interested.

And they do vary as to their interests. This one has never been much interested in birds. I don't know why, but my guess is there isn't much meat to be had.

About once a week there are the remains of an unidentifiable mammal on the stoop. I'm not exactly sure what that's about, but I think it's a pack idea. "This guy is OK, he's part of the pack, I'm sharing my kill." Yum.

Don't like the idea? Let's ban all cats.

You can pry my cat from my cold dead hand........which shouldn't be too hard as he likes to eat fingers.

elf
08-13-2009, 06:05 PM
I'm a cat lover.

I don't like dogs. They are noisy. They need to be bathed to not stink. They leave their turds all over the yard, beaches and sidewalks. They jump on you and want to (yuck) lick your face and hands. They give you poison ivy. They have ticks and fleas. Some breeds are actively vicious.

My indoor cats stay indoors and only eat what I feed them. They are soft and like to be touched but don't jump up on me unless invited. Their breath smells sweet when they wake up. They sometimes make a nice rumbling sound when I talk to them or pet them.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1695/26/31/749884916/n749884916_1022977_9081.jpg

My outdoor cats stay outdoors and bring me gifts - sometimes feathers, sometimes bunnies, sometimes mice, sometimes squirrel tails. I put up bird feeders in the winter. I rarely get bird gifts in the winter. One of them makes the same nice rumbling sound when I pet her.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2292/26/31/749884916/n749884916_1190836_9854.jpg

Glen Longino
08-13-2009, 06:07 PM
http://www.thedvs.net/video/funny/funny-cat/evil-cat.jpg

Cats are demonic!
You can see it in the eyes.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-13-2009, 06:15 PM
The only cat that ever claimed me, liked the indoors.
A "fixed" male, the infamous Fat Bob.
He would watch the birds with great interest, with his fat butt perched on the window sill, stretching the poor screen to it's limits.
He just watched.
Given the opportunity to escape plenty of times, he just sniffed the air and sat at the front door like "are you gonna close that door so the birds don't get in?"
He wasn't you're normal cat for sure.

Nanoose
08-13-2009, 06:19 PM
I like both dogs and cats, but dogs are very high maintenance....cats are sooo easy. Our current cat, Mouse, is rather attached to me. Couldn't give Dave the time of day, yet follows me wherever I go in the house.

pingree8
08-13-2009, 06:19 PM
We have a cat which we "rescued" from a neighbor's garden tool shed one February a few years ago. He had been living their for a couple of weeks, but it was about -20 at night, so I cornered him, put him in a cage, and took him off to the vet to be fixed and get his shots.

He is now a great companion, to both me and my wife. He prefers, in general, whoever is in charge of feeding chores, but he is very social with us both, rolls on his back and begs for attention, and curls his toes when he gets a brushing.

He is a cat, of course, and we have a cat door so he comes in in the day and goes out at night. He hunts voles and mice, and the occasional bunny, but not birds for some reason. Cats are hunters, and they are going to hunt and bring back the proof, so I guess that's just part of the deal.

johnw
08-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Keep in mind, for most of our mutual history, people have not regarded cats not as pets but as pest-control subcontractors. Around a farm, even feral cats helped control the mouse population. To the extent that they were domesticated, they were bread to hunt small animals that ate the seed we planted and the grain we stored. Bird fanciers claim cats are 'super predators,' and they have a point. A good mouser was valued above a cat who only killed the mice it would eat.

Now, after thousands of years of breeding cats for their enthusiasm and skill at killing small animals, people are upset that cats kill small animals. Since we chose them and bred them for this behavior, it seems hypocritical to hate them for it.

J. Dillon
08-13-2009, 07:14 PM
My favorite quote concerning cats:

"Dogs have masters, cats have staff.;)"

JD

brad9798
08-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Yea, cats are evil ... they don't kill their food nearly as nicely as we kill our cows! ;)

ron ll
08-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Get Piranah fish for pets. Keep them in your bird bath and you'll never have to feed your pets.

TimH
08-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Yea, cats are evil ... they don't kill their food nearly as nicely as we kill our cows! ;)

We dont slowly dismember cows over a long period of time and leave them laying all over.

Phillip Allen
08-13-2009, 07:53 PM
who are we to re-design what nature hath put together...dog packs have killed children around here...dogs are not allowed to gather in packs anymore...when cat packs kill children, I suspect cat packs will be outlawed as well

I like cats, dogs, horses, goats and possums...I even like snakes...in their proper place...I never kill squirrels out in the woods where they belong...I do kill squirrels that try to move into my attic or pecan tree

I have bird feeders...I make sure there is no cover near them for the cats to hide in...after that, if they catch a bird then it's the bird's fault

my horse kills thousands of small critters that inhabit grass...and eat them

Birds kill thousands of bugs and worms...and eat them

Birds spend a lot of time killing one another...eating the babies of other birds

Squirrels eat baby birds too

SOME PEOPLE HAVE A RATHER RESTRICTED VIEW OF WHAT MAKES THE WORLD GO AROUND!

paladin
08-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Lil Critter and I were adopted by a calico cat.....and that critter can smell steak cooking from the tiniest hole hideout in the basement. The moment I sit down she is at my side begging for her share. I cut off a nice piece of roast this morning and it went down so fast you would think she hadn't eaten for a week.

PeterSibley
08-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Seems to me a real animal lover wouldnt like cats.
If animal lover refers to the mass of non pet wildlife out there in the long grass ??? in Australia you'd put a bullet ( lovingly) through every single cat .

PeterSibley
08-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Get rid of the cows too please .

Shang
08-13-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm vegetarian, my cats aren't.

BrianW
08-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Can't much like'em.

brad9798
08-14-2009, 07:10 AM
It's called nature ... TimH.

Nature is ugly, brutal, violent, uncomfortable, and generally not very pleasant to us soft humans.

Go to Africa during the dry season ... like NOW! Actually, now is too early ... wait for October/November after a long dry season ... that's when the you will see some nasty-a$$ sh*t from animals you probably consider intelligent, compassionate, beautiful, and majestic!

It is what it is.

PeterSibley
08-14-2009, 07:24 AM
In Australia they are feral ,totally out of kilter with our existing fauna ...which is very unlike anything from Europe .Cats look great with a cross hair over their heads .

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 07:29 AM
I agree with you Peter...but it's not a problem here

I like cats but If I lived in your country I would shoot them too

Keith Wilson
08-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill Churchill liked pigs.

StevenBauer
08-14-2009, 07:36 AM
I thought this was going to be a recipe thread. :eek:

Steven

John Smith
08-14-2009, 07:40 AM
This is a bit of a strange concept to me. My family has had so many cats over the years, and they've all been of extremely varied personalities...

My daughter had one that was actually vicious. Had he not have been declawed, I'd have lost an eye. Others would have also suffered injuries.

We had a cat that one or twice daily would climb up and snuggle on my shoulder for 10 minutes or so. One that used the toilet.

Some will hide when company comes, others will come and snuggle with the strangers.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
08-14-2009, 08:12 AM
I like lurchers - ours have shown a fine degree of discrimination, house cat is allowed to come and go as it pleases - all else is prey.

Pirate-at-heart
08-14-2009, 08:20 AM
needless to say, it is beholden upon the cat owners to control their pets.

If you let a cat outside, even in the country, you are NOT a caring pet owner.

Those who choose to allow cats outside should simply not have cats.

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 08:26 AM

Horse feathers! (you don't live in the country do ya...townies!...arrogantly tellin the rest of the world how to live)

JimD
08-14-2009, 08:30 AM
We have two cats. Our neighborhood has cats everywhere. They are really hard on the natural environment, destroying the small bird and animal populations. We leave food in their bowls at all times but they still kill the occassional wild animal.

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 08:33 AM
how many wild animals do we kill with our cars?

Pirate-at-heart
08-14-2009, 08:36 AM
hey Phillip Allen...
you sure talk alot.
Do you ever say anything?

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 08:38 AM
hey Phillip Allen...
you sure talk alot.
Do you ever say anything?

only to those who will listen...it's just noise to smaller minds

Pirate-at-heart
08-14-2009, 08:40 AM
ah, NURTZ to ya!

go tell it to Pete Fricking Seeger!

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Here ya go Pirate...I found this statement offensive...you're not being PC I guess

elf
08-14-2009, 08:41 AM

Well, some of that seems a bit extreme and rigid. One of my ferals is still not tameable, although over the last 2 years I've verrry slowly been creeping up on a certain amount of habituation. The end goal is to trap him and get him neutered. He has learned his name, comes regularly for meals, takes refuge in my barn when in danger. But he's still resisting being touched. Most cat people in town are amazed I've made that much progress in that much time.

His mother, on the other hand, is pretty much tamed, but still wary and skittish when I make sudden movements. She does, however, allow me to pick her up and carry her around, apply Frontline to her neck to keep her bug free, stick around all day within earshot, come when called even when not mealtime, and sulk when I go away for a week and leave her unfed.

Leaving food out is out of the question. The racoons would propagate and the cats would get nothing. Bringing her in is out of the question because I have 2 indoor cats that never go outside. She is too young to accept that regimen, even if she did adjust to them.

So you see, rigid statements about animal care are really not appropriate - country, suburbs or city.

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks Elf...sometimes what I think is obvious to others really is not...you said it much better than I did

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 08:46 AM
see you guys later...I'm off to see about fencing for horses that I have irresponsibly left outside

Pirate-at-heart
08-14-2009, 08:47 AM
catching feral cats is no easy matter. you must have a humane trap, excellent cat-sense, and good luck. I've done a bit of this work for my local animal rescue group, and can tell stories of getting badly scratched for my efforts. But its the RIGHT thing to do. Good luck in your efforts elf.

Did you know about the difference in life expectancies for indoor and outdoor cats? From the ASPCA, indoor cats live an AVERAGE of 12 years, while outdoor cats live an average of six!

Not to mention the serious pet overpopulation problem. How you going to stop all those outdoor cats from having tons of kittens, who nobody seems to want anyway?

Please be nice to ALL animals. At ALL times!! (rigid enough for ya?)
Cheers to all, and hope you have a wonderful weekend.

rbgarr
08-14-2009, 08:47 AM
I like the theory that cats bring their kills to us because they are trying to teach us how to hunt:

"There. See how easy it is? Even I can do it... and no I don't need your praise. Just look and learn, damnit!" :D

Pirate-at-heart
08-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Well now I have a theory about this as well. First of all, we all know that hunting sucks. But even more pertinent, is when cats kill mice, they often leave the wee mousie upon the pillow of the bed of their owners. They choose that one place very often indeed, in fact more than any other spot in the house.

Now, why would they leave the body there?

To me, at least, this suggests the idea of a gift. The cat thinks the mouse is tasty. The cat loves their owner. The cat placed the gift someplace where they KNEW that the owner would find it.

Youre supposed to eat it.

elf
08-14-2009, 09:01 AM
catching feral cats is no easy matter. you must have a humane trap, excellent cat-sense, and good luck. I've done a bit of this work for my local animal rescue group, and can tell stories of getting badly scratched for my efforts. But its the RIGHT thing to do. Good luck in your efforts elf.
We've figured out how to trap him. Remove MaMa from the scene for a week (cat carrier in my tub), bait the have-a-heart but don't set it, so he has to go in it to eat, accustom him to that, set the trap one day.

Did you know about the difference in life expectancies for indoor and outdoor cats? From the ASPCA, indoor cats live an AVERAGE of 12 years, while outdoor cats live an average of six! Pirate, I've kept cats since 1964. There's not much I don't know about them at this point. My housecats are 16 and 15 and I've had two cats live to 20 and 22 in the last 35 years. It's a miracle outdoor cats live an average of that long, since natural selection weeds out the stupidest and weakest. My 2 ferals are 5 and 3, extremely smart.

Not to mention the serious pet overpopulation problem. How you going to stop all those outdoor cats from having tons of kittens, who nobody seems to want anyway? see above - MaMa is spayed. Her son will get neutered and returned to me in due time. Capturing him in such a way as to lose his trust is a big concern here. Restraining her in such as way as to lose her trust is also a big concern here.

Pirate-at-heart
08-14-2009, 09:08 AM
alright Elf, youre clearly a good cat owner, and you care deeply about the health and welfare of your fine feline beasties.

next step... care about the local wildlife your cats catch or caught in the past.

YAY ME!

TimH
08-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Well house cats arent part of the natural fauna around here. Seems to me the local indigenous wildlife isnt prepared for the introduction of these high level predators.
It would be one thing if they just quickly killed their prey and ate it, but that isnt what they do. They torture their prey for as long as it will stay alive and then just leave it.

Rick Starr
08-14-2009, 10:08 AM
The more one studies ecosystems the more apparent it becomes that feral cats are utterly devastating to the environment. This is exacerbated by the double standard we accord cat owners.

switters
08-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Well now I have a theory about this as well. First of all, we all know that hunting sucks.

I dont think we all know that hunting sucks. I dont know that, whether it applies to cats, birds, humans or any other animal.

And look at what suburban outdoor cats have achieved, the banning of DDT and made Rachel Carlson a household name. And depending on who you believe, the promotion of malaria. Personally I dont buy that last part.

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Pirate, you are ill informed and drink far too much koolaid

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 10:47 AM
My cat is trained to catch the infirm, stupid and slow only...you're welcome

Pirate-at-heart
08-14-2009, 10:48 AM
is that right?

How so?

And hunting is ruining our environment, not to mention the clear and simple fact that its cruel.

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 10:49 AM
BTW, ask the Aussies what happens when some bottom end critter...say, rabbits, are introduced where there are no predators (hunters suck) to keep em thined out.

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 10:49 AM
is that right?

How so?

And hunting is ruining our environment, not to mention the clear and simple fact that its cruel.

link please

Pirate-at-heart
08-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Phillip Allen.
with all due respect, you stated that I am ill-informed [and under some strange kind of contract with "Kool-Aid" brand soft drinks.]
While that may certainly be true about most subjects under this pale blue sky, I can assure you that I am well-informed concerning most matters mammalian.
To what, specifically, were you referring?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Much depends upon the cat.

Ours has no interest in frogs, newts, toads, grass snakes, slow worms or any other lizards, shrews, hedgehogs or in any sort of bird whatsoever.

She is an effective predator of field voles, young rabbits and house mice, and she is getting better at grey squirrels.

She is very effective at keeping other cats off her patch. This is surprising, since she is a small 11 year old Siamese, originally the runt of a breeder's litter.

The grey squirrel is a pest in Britain and we live next door to a pasture meadow.

We can see nests of Little Owls and Great Spotted Woodpeckers from our bedroom window - of no interest to our cat and no other cat gets a look in.

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 10:56 AM
average age of cats...for instance

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Andrew, I'm afraid that our pirate is a conclusion in search of evidence

mobjack68
08-14-2009, 11:01 AM
point of fact...dead cat AND a dead skunk on the interstate about 2 miles from my house....critters were about 300 yards apart and had been dead less than a full day. Vultures devoured the skunk before the 36 hour mark, cat laid there until it became a "freeway frisbee"...

What does it mean when the highest order scavenger prefers a dead skunk to a dead cat???

Pirate-at-heart
08-14-2009, 11:01 AM
link #1 (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-life-expectancy-of-pets.htm)

link #2 (http://www.richmondspca.org/Page.aspx?pid=553)

link #3 (http://www.aspcacommunity.org/group/catsville/forum/topics/pros-and-cons-to-outdoor-cat)

And please DO forgive me...
the average age of an outdoor cat seems to have dropped to FIVE ( 5 ) years, not six.

rbgarr
08-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Any bird that can't fly away from a cat has got to be pretty stupid, doesn't it?

TimH
08-14-2009, 11:03 AM
The more one studies ecosystems the more apparent it becomes that feral cats are utterly devastating to the environment. This is exacerbated by the double standard we accord cat owners.

My point exactly.

switters
08-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Federal excise taxes (Pittman-Robertson).

Summary: The Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to cooperate with the States, through their respective State fish and game departments, in wildlife-restoration projects. However, per statute, no money apportioned under this chapter to any state shall be expended until the state in question assents to the provisions of this chapter and has passed laws for the conservation of wildlife, which includes a prohibition against the diversion of license fees paid by hunters for any other purpose than the administration of said state's fish and game department. The Act also provides for grants for hunter education programs and a mechanism for a multi-state conservation grant program.

I

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 11:17 AM
let me get another thing clear...you are calling my indoor/outdoor cats FERAL?
are you including car squashings as normal to the average age of cats...if no car squashings happen indoors it seems the age would jump up quite a bit...how do car squashings link to rural area cats...is there a seperate cat-a-gory? If one lives, say, 10 miles out of town on a dirt road...do the outdoor cats have the same average age as ourdoor cats in town?

I am not supprised that you changed the parameters to include feral cats to support your otherwise unsupportable argument...

TimH
08-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Any bird that can't fly away from a cat has got to be pretty stupid, doesn't it?

Go tell the people that get attacked by cougars that they must be pretty stupid.

http://www.cougarinfo.org/lionsupl/hjellnow.htm

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Go tell the people that get attacked by cougars that they must be pretty stupid.

compared to the cougar's regular prey...yes

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Federal excise taxes (Pittman-Robertson).

Summary: The Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to cooperate with the States, through their respective State fish and game departments, in wildlife-restoration projects. However, per statute, no money apportioned under this chapter to any state shall be expended until the state in question assents to the provisions of this chapter and has passed laws for the conservation of wildlife, which includes a prohibition against the diversion of license fees paid by hunters for any other purpose than the administration of said state's fish and game department. The Act also provides for grants for hunter education programs and a mechanism for a multi-state conservation grant program.

I

sometimes we don't agree on much...but in this case I suspect we both know that these townies have NO clue at all! All they know is what they learn at PETA meetings...

switters
08-14-2009, 11:31 AM
sometimes we don't agree on much...but in this case I suspect we both know that these townies have NO clue at all! All they know is what they learn at PETA meetings...

I think we agree on most things, just not the way to argue them with foreign statisticians.;)

should have seen what I erased from the P-R act post regarding "hunting is ruining our environment" who the hell has been paying for it since 1937. But I want everyone to have a good friday, so I erased my rant.

FWIW, I've had cats, inside/outside cats when I lived in the country for mice control. Inside cats while living in town for pets. Put a bell on the damn cat, I cant believe that hasn't come up yet.

TimH
08-14-2009, 11:44 AM
it has a bell. But the feeders make it easy for him to sit and wait for the birds to come to him. He just hides in the bushes under the feeders.

switters
08-14-2009, 11:53 AM
it has a bell. But the feeders make it easy for him to sit and wait for the birds to come to him. He just hides in the bushes under the feeders.

I don't advocate maiming pets on purpose to suit ones needs. However, my first wife once brought home a three leg cat that had been hit by a car. And we had paid for the surgery I found out. (didn't need to pay the car insurance or buy food that month anyway)

So I started out hating the cat. The back leg was missing, and when it was healed up and moving around it was normal, but couldn't jump. not up on counters or after birds. We lived in an old farm house with a root cellar, and the cat could still snag the occasional mouse that came in. The cat turned out to be great.

I bring this up because in the future someone may want or get talked into a pet cat but has concerns like bird predation. Try to find a three legged one when you go looking.

Good luck, if it has a bell maybe some other disadvantage is in order, lead collar or something.:)

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 12:10 PM

then it's your fault for setting them near cover...that constitutes automatic cat feeders

TimH
08-14-2009, 12:12 PM
yea, well the bird feeders were up long before the cat.

Phillip Allen
08-14-2009, 12:14 PM
well, move em...when I set up bird feeders, I am careful to make it hard for a cat to hide near them...it seems reasonable

TimH
08-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I don't advocate maiming pets on purpose to suit ones needs. However, my first wife once brought home a three leg cat that had been hit by a car. And we had paid for the surgery I found out. (didn't need to pay the car insurance or buy food that month anyway)

So I started out hating the cat. The back leg was missing, and when it was healed up and moving around it was normal, but couldn't jump. not up on counters or after birds. We lived in an old farm house with a root cellar, and the cat could still snag the occasional mouse that came in. The cat turned out to be great.

I bring this up because in the future someone may want or get talked into a pet cat but has concerns like bird predation. Try to find a three legged one when you go looking.

Good luck, if it has a bell maybe some other disadvantage is in order, lead collar or something.:)

What you say makes perfect sense to me. The problem is convincing the cats servant. I had a hard time convincing her that the bell was needed.

johnw
08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
yea, well the bird feeders were up long before the cat.
Right. Well, now you have a cat, so the situation has changed, hasn't it? Time to adjust to the change. You are more adaptable than the cat or the birds, right? You are supposed to be the clever one, that's why we named ourselves 'homo sapiens.'

ChaseKenyon
08-14-2009, 01:42 PM
cats!

my wife has five (her tribal name is "Ten Cats Woman") one is the queen a calico Maine Coon Cat. ZsaZsa goes out but is really an indoor cat. The other four two are strictly outdoor (down to 5* F) and two come in but mostly out. One catches frogs from the nearby fire pond. One catches mice rats and some birds. one specializes in chipmunks. with three of us in the neighborhood with collections of antique cars and boats The cats are essential to preserving things like leather interiors.

I have one cat. He is an 8 month old Main Coon Cat undergoing registration as a "Service Animal". Slept with me by his choice (crawled into the bead and into may armpit at five days old to get warm in our wood heated house last Dec. He has savd my skin serveral times during sleep apnia attacks, and helped with my back situation. Vet says from sleeping withme from five days old he is totally identifed with me. Other cats come and go in andout. He is totallycalm and content tobe harnessed when out. Convinced by trining that he needs his Safety Harness to go out He will knock it off the 5 ft abouve the floor nail it lives on to say he wants to go out for a while. Yes he is 9 months the 26 of this month and can reach the 5 ft high nail with his paw. He can reach and take things off the kitchen counters. He knows by observation when I have forgotten one of my meds wether it be musle pill or pain reelivers or blood pressure etc. he get onmy shoulders and pats me on the chest till I take my meds. Knocks the protable phone off it's holder in the bedroom or kitchen or media room if I am on the floor fortoo long. H already weighs in at 14.5 lbs and will not stop growing till he is 4 years old. Vet figures he will end up at around 27 lbs. Right now he is in a growth spur size wise. Ten a fill out spurt , then another growth spurt comes and so on. So at his current size if filled in wold be over 18 lbs, and he still has not even come close to growing into his tail lengthand size. Tail comes up to mid lower thigh on my 6'2" frame.

I am a musician and violin maker. He is a "tuxedo" cat with a little black goatee, named Maestro. He is self toilet trained already by observing the two others who use the toilet not a litter box.

He has already saved my life at least one provable time. Probably many more times.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_qLyeq4V_F8Y/SlBQM8v6-DI/AAAAAAAAAj8/aIgsD23xgf0/IMG_1960.JPG

good sized 8 inch desert plate behind Maestro Rachmaninoff

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_qLyeq4V_F8Y/SoWuumTnS6I/AAAAAAAAAkA/L2Any774-c8/IMG_1958.JPG

The leather dog leash connecting him to the rope is four feet long.

:D

Pirate-at-heart
08-14-2009, 01:51 PM
so essentially, in order to protect the leather interiors, its pretty much okay if your wife's cats extirpate the local wildlife?

:(

David Tabor (sailordave)
08-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Cats are a hell of a lot smarter than dogs! I've had a cat that "woke" me up when I didn't get up soon enough after the alarm went off. Another taught himself to "ring" the bells on the doorknob to let me know he wants out; this after seeing the dog do it. (Dog took THREE months to train to do this!)

And Emily, I agree w/ your assessment of dogs (post #16)
Even my Rotty can be a pita sometimes!

And two pit bulls killed a guy here in town this week. They think he was trying to keep them from killing another smaller dog and they turned on him. Puncture to the neck and he bled out. They put the dogs down a few days later. http://wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=1737077

B_B
08-14-2009, 08:38 PM
yep, get em nice and fat and they'll be too slow to catch their own shadow, never mind a vole, and too heavy to jump and get a bird...

Captain Blight
08-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Kitty kitty kitty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1qHVVbYG8Y&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcuteoverload.com%2F&feature=player_embedded)

Nanoose
08-14-2009, 10:27 PM
priceless! :D