PDA

View Full Version : On another front

John Smith
08-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Harriet Miers: Attorney Firings Were Political
Harriet Miers Finally Admits It, Fingers Rove: The U.S. Attorney Firings Were Political
By Susie Madrak Tuesday Aug 11, 2009 3:00pm

Yeah, we were right about the U.S. Attorney firings. Even Karl Rove and Harriet Miers admit it now:

The dismissal of New Mexico U.S. Attorney David C. Iglesias in December 2006 followed extensive communication among lawyers and political aides in the White House who hashed over complaints about his work on public corruption cases against Democrats, according to newly released e-mails and transcripts of closed-door House testimony by former Bush counsel Harriet Miers and political chief Karl Rove.

A campaign to oust Iglesias intensified after state party officials and GOP members of the congressional delegation apparently concluded he was not pursuing the cases against Democrats in a way that would help then- Rep. Heather Wilson in a tight releection race, according to interviews and Bush White House e-mails released Tuesday by congressional investigators. The documents place the genesis of Iglesias's dismissal earlier than previously known.

The disclosures mark the end of a two-and-a-half year investigation by the House Judiciary Committee, which sued to gain access to Bush White House documents in a dispute that struck at the heart of a president's executive power. House members have reserved the right to hold a public hearing at which Rove, Miers, and other aides could appear this fall.

House Judiciary Chairman John M. Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) Tuesday characterized the role of Bush White House figures in the firing episode as improper and inappropriate.

John of Phoenix
08-12-2009, 12:55 PM
House members have reserved the right to hold a public hearing at which Rove, Miers, and other aides could appear this fall.To what end? Civil penalty? Criminal prosecution? Public embarrassment? Ok, scratch that last one.

Tom Montgomery
08-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Well, speaking of public embarrassment, Consigliere Gonzales insists that his reputation has been unfairly damaged by the affair. His legal bills mount, no law firm has yet offered him a job, and Dubya does not call to say, "Hello."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/magazine/09fob-q4-t.html

John Smith
08-12-2009, 01:16 PM
I view this as a fire. More logs keep getting thrown on it. One day it will be too hot to ignore.

No one ever accused the wheels of justice of turning quickly.

Where it ends, we'll have to wait and see. Maybe nothing happens; maybe some do jail time.

Meanwhile, the logs keep piling up slowly but steadily.

Canoeyawl
08-12-2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/magazine/09fob-q4-t.html

Youíre scheduled to teach a political-science class called ďContemporary Issues in the Executive Branch.Ē What kind of syllabus have you put together?
You mean what am I going to be teaching? Weíre obviously going to look at the issues that are confronting this administration. Iím going to try to get the studentsa behind-the-scenes look at how the White House is really organized and how it operates.
Some 70 professors at Texas Tech have signed a petition that protests your appointment and cites your ďethical failings,Ē including misleading Congress abut the firing of nine federal prosecutors. What will you tell your students about that?
All the inspector-general investigations, theyíre now over with. They found that I had not engaged in any criminal wrongdoing.
Isnít there still an ongoing investigation by a special prosecutor who was appointed last year to look into the removal of the attorneys?
I wish I could comment on that, but because itís an ongoing investigation, I cannot.
Would you agree that your reputation was damaged by your service as attorney general?
It has had an effect, a negative effect, no question about it, and at times it makes me angry because it is undeserved. But I donít want to sound like I am whining. At the end of the day, Iíve been the attorney general of the United States. Itís a remarkable privilege, and I stand behind my service.
Has any law firm offered you a job since you left the White House?
Listen, Iíve had some interest and Iíve had some discussions, but there has been no offer made. In a tough economic climate, I can understand why a company or a firm would want to make sure that the investigations are complete and there is no finding of wrongdoing before they make a hiring decision.
Have you asked Bush or Cheney to help defray your legal bills?
I have not asked them personally.
I think you should ask them. They got you into this pickle. Shouldnít they help get you out?
Listen, I have a group of supporters that are helping me fund-raise. Theyíre making decisions about how to do this successfully.
What are your legal bills like?
Substantial. Iíll say that obviously itís been a burden. We did establish a legal-defense fund, and we have raised and are in the process of raising additional monies to pay for the lawyers.
Why, exactly, did you suddenly resign as attorney general?
Iím in the process of writing a book, and Iíll get into greater detail on some of those reasons.
Do you have a publisher for your book yet?
No.
Do you still talk to President Bush?
I have not spoken with the president since he left office.
Have you ever been tempted to pick up the phone and say hi to him?
I do, of course, think about our time together, and there are times when I think about doing that. But listen, I know that he has his life to live. Iíve got challenges and my life to live as well.

John of Phoenix
08-12-2009, 02:40 PM
It has had an effect, a negative effect, no question about it, and at times it makes me angry because it is undeserved. But I don’t want to sound like I am whining.
<thunderous peals of hysterical laughter fill the room> :D

Can't wait for his book. (Ok, that was a lie.)