PDA

View Full Version : Flat Bed Unicycle

Sam F
08-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Almost all recycled:
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/dgradeworkunit/Wheelbarrow.jpg?t=1249923355

#10,000

JMAC
08-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Where does the juggling mime go?

Flying Orca
08-10-2009, 12:05 PM
I believe it passes repeatedly under the wheel.

Sam F
08-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Hopefully he can wheel the firewood around for me... and keep his mouth shut too. ;)

Glen Longino
08-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Almost all recycled:
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/dgradeworkunit/Wheelbarrow.jpg?t=1249923355

A handy contraption, Sam!
What kind of wood is available where you live?
I burn oak, pecan, and mesquite.

Sam F
08-10-2009, 12:22 PM
A handy contraption, Sam!
What kind of wood is available where you live?
I burn oak, pecan, and mesquite.

Oak, walnut, black locust (aka, hi test!), honey locust, Norway maple (yuck), apple and assorted softwoods (best avoided).

Btw, did you happen to notice that barrow's most unusual feature?

Glen Longino
08-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Oak, walnut, black locust (aka, hi test!), honey locust, Norway maple (yuck), apple and assorted softwoods (best avoided).

Btw, did you happen to notice that barrow's most unusual feature?

Brakes?
I saw the line running along the handle, but was skeered to ask about it, thinking it was likely a booby trap put there just to inspire ignorant inquries.:D I know you, Sam! I know you!:):)

Phillip Allen
08-10-2009, 12:40 PM
that's not brakes...it's an accelerator

Sam F
08-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Brakes?
I saw the line running along the handle, but was skeered to ask about it, thinking it was likely a booby trap put there just to inspire ignorant inquries.:D I know you, Sam! I know you!:):)

Nah, it's no booby trap. Here's a detailed view of the other side of the wheel:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/dgradeworkunit/diskbrake.jpg?t=1249925991
It's off a kid's bike that was left for dead at a bike repair shop. This thing's a real back-saver on hills.

The non-recycled bits are only some SS fasteners, bronze ring shanked nails, glue, the brake cable (the original was rusted fast) and a collar around the wheel that I drilled and tapped to mount the disk.

Sam F
08-10-2009, 12:44 PM
that's not brakes...it's an accelerator

If only that worked going up hill! That'll be for the Mark II motorized wheelbarrow - with regenerative brakes. ;)
As it works now, the thing accelerates just great... going down!

Glen Longino
08-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Clever, Sam!
Don't listen to P Allen...he knows squat about complex machinery!

Phillip Allen
08-10-2009, 12:57 PM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q196/phillipdallen/001-3.jpg

you'd never make it in construction...the brakes are applied by lowering the "legs" untill they drag on ;the ground...I'm afraid your brakes are totally un necessary

THIS is a brick-borrow! it is capable of moving about 100 bricks weighing about 4 or 5 pounds apiece

Glen Longino
08-10-2009, 01:13 PM
400-500 pounds of bricks? Hurts my back just thinking about it!

Phillip Allen
08-10-2009, 01:21 PM

and NO brakes... :)

Phillip Allen
08-10-2009, 01:22 PM

Next time you walk into a building that DOESN'T collaps and kill you...think about the efforts of those craftsmen who made it so

Glen Longino
08-10-2009, 01:26 PM
I've always appreciated the work of stone masons and brick masons.

David G
08-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Don't believe that nonsense about a brake (or an accelerator). That device is clearly meant to allow Sam to veer off to the Right without warning. Or is it to the Left... I've forgotten your political slant :p

Glen Longino
08-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Don't believe that nonsense about a brake (or an accelerator). That device is clearly meant to allow Sam to veer off to the Right without warning. Or is it to the Left... I've forgotten your political slant :p

Shhhh! Don't get him started!:eek::D:D

huisjen
08-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Nah, it's no booby trap.

Ooooh. Booby entrapment. How cruel.

Dan

David G
08-10-2009, 02:04 PM
And if it's unicycle... where's the pedals??? You idiotic (insert appropriate political label here) just don't have a clue, do ya? ;)

Glen Longino
08-10-2009, 02:08 PM
And if it's unicycle... where's the pedals??? You idiotic (insert appropriate political label here) just don't have a clue, do ya? ;)

Heheh! You just won't listen, will ya?
You keep poking Sam with that pointy stick we'll be into another 20 page thread before you know it!;):)

Sam F
08-10-2009, 02:14 PM
And if it's unicycle... where's the pedals???

Don't blame me - my son-in-law named it.

Sam F
08-10-2009, 02:17 PM
you'd never make it in construction...the brakes are applied by lowering the "legs" untill they drag on ;the ground...I'm afraid your brakes are totally un necessary.

Sure! I did that for years too... but what happens when you want to move again?
Lift those 100 bricks back up again, that's what. Do that 1/2 a dozen times per trip and it starts to feel like work! :D

Glen Longino
08-10-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm having a vision!
Four wheels, an engine, headlights, a dump bed, seats, painted green, has a name painted on it...it's coming to me...it's...it's...it's...GATOR!
I'd have one if they were less expensive. As it is, I push firewood around in a wheelbarrow too.

Sam F
08-10-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm having a vision!
Four wheels, an engine, headlights, a dump bed, seats, painted green, has a name painted on it...it's coming to me...it's...it's...it's...GATOR!...

Yeah - I have a reenactor friend with one, but it's too darn tall. I split and took some firewood to him and that's what we used. Even truck-to-Gator it involved lifting wood up into the little bed of the Gator. That wasn't too bad, but if I had to lift wood from the ground up, I think it's actually less work (over the distances I travel) to load up a wheelbarrow.

James McMullen
08-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Sam, I'm stunned to find a post by you that actually includes pictures of something made out of wood rather than your typical religion-based ranting. Good on ya! Now see if you can find it in your heart to post something about a boat that is made of wood, willya, just to keep the streak alive? I would be gratefully astonished.

Peerie Maa
08-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Looks like a real comfy seat,

whilst waiting for son in law to split the logs:D

Glen Longino
08-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Sam, I'm stunned to find a post by you that actually includes pictures of something made out of wood rather than your typical religion-based ranting. Good on ya! Now see if you can find it in your heart to post something about a boat that is made of wood, willya, just to keep the streak alive? I would be gratefully astonished.

In Sam's defense, not that he needs defending, he does not start most of those religious threads, but only joins in as they progress.
But, if he has some wood boat pics, I'd like to see them too.

Sam F
08-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Sam, I'm stunned to find a post by you that actually includes pictures of something made out of wood rather than your typical religion-based ranting.

Well it's my thread, isn't it?
I start very few you know.

...Now see if you can find it in your heart to post something about a boat that is made of wood, willya, just to keep the streak alive? I would be gratefully astonished.

I have an abiding interest in such things and much more besides. But you see the question you might want to ask is: Why should I share?
Awe... but what the heck:
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/dgradeworkunit/ClaudSommers.jpg?t=1249939106... taken as we sailed by...

Sam F
08-10-2009, 04:32 PM
In Sam's defense, not that he needs defending, he does not start most of those religious threads, but only joins in as they progress.
Kinda ironic isn't it?
It's not my obsession that keeps starting that sort of thread. ;)

But, if he has some wood boat pics, I'd like to see them too.

OK! Here's a nice little sailboat in the foreground:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/dgradeworkunit/5414_1131701646661_1050848779_30360.jpg?t=12499398 68

Glen Longino
08-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Kinda ironic isn't it?
It's not my obsession that keeps starting that sort of thread. ;)

OK! Here's a nice little sailboat in the foreground:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/dgradeworkunit/5414_1131701646661_1050848779_30360.jpg?t=12499398 68

I know, it's the Devil makes you join in those threads!:eek:
Same here!:eek:
Same with all the other hombres around here!:eek:
Is that one of your boats?
The Somers is impressive. I googled and saw more pics. Thanks!

Sam F
08-10-2009, 06:49 PM
I know, it's the Devil makes you join in those threads!

I doubt it. It's more a sympathy for an unpopular position. Sad to say those who start those threads can spoon it out, but they can't seem to take it. :D
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/dgradeworkunit/Spoon1.jpg?t=1249947677 :D :D

Is that one of your boats?

No. It's sure seems a nice one though. My wooden boats are just canoes... while the sail boats are made of that other stuff. But there is some wood on them:
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/dgradeworkunit/DSCF2005.jpg?t=1249948085

The Somers is impressive. I googled and saw more pics. Thanks!
I've sailed on her a couple of times and she's really nice. That photo's angle was (I think) of her at her most photogenic. The sheer is just right. BTW, her bottom was completely rebuilt a few years ago and I hear it's monel fastened. Not the cheap stuff that's for sure!

I, Rowboat
08-12-2009, 08:55 AM

You're right there, James. After his track history, it hadn't occurred to me that he was capable of anything beyond the hysterics necessary to maintain his faith-bubble, plus amusing us with religionist clown-craft.

Sam F
08-12-2009, 11:57 AM
You're right there, James. After his track history, it hadn't occurred to me that he was capable of anything beyond the hysterics necessary to maintain his faith-bubble, plus amusing us with religionist clown-craft.

Uh huh... exactly what I expect. So I ask again: Why should I share?

David G
08-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Sam F,

You got at least 6 folks by my count enjoying the thread with you. You got two harking back to past battles. One option - you could wonder what it is about your past behavior that inspires such lingering snarkiness. Another option - you could just let the snarkiness slide, and enjoy the fact that several folks "crossed party lines" to appreciate your sharing. Or... you could get hurt feelings and withdraw your thin-skinned self into a surly, bitter solitude - harboring an increasingly twisted and hateful worldview. Then again. you could do something else entirely.

Personally, I kinda like choice B... but it's entirely up to you :D

Peerie Maa
08-12-2009, 12:47 PM
No. It's sure seems a nice one though. My wooden boats are just canoes...

What sort of canoes? Any photos?
Any idea how old is the skiff?

Sam F
08-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Sam F,

You got at least 6 folks by my count enjoying the thread with you. You got two harking back to past battles. One option - you could wonder what it is about your past behavior that inspires such lingering snarkiness.

No wonder at all. I know why.

Another option - you could just let the snarkiness slide,

What? And miss a teachable moment?
Remember who did what and when - that context is relevant.

...and enjoy the fact that several folks "crossed party lines" to appreciate your sharing.

Sure. Nobody's ever stopped me from doing that.

Or... you could get hurt feelings and withdraw your thin-skinned self ...

Now THAT'S funny. :D

Sam F
08-12-2009, 01:24 PM
What sort of canoes? Any photos?

I used to have some and posted them on the Forum too. Maybe that's before your time... The image hosting service is long gone.

Any idea how old is the skiff?

It's fairly new. For living outside it's in mint condition. I'd say it's less than 3 years old - though it had about 3" of rain water in it the day we took the photo.
Here's another boat (the Sarah Ann) that's much older:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/dgradeworkunit/th_AnnaSarah.jpg

She's a 2-sail bateau (a design available from the Smithsonian) that dates to the later 19th Century. That mast rake is classic for the period. This example was built in the 1970's by a "troubled youth" work program and has held up quite well. I puttered about in her with her owner for several hours - long enough to observe a little of her performance. On thing though... she could use a good paint stripping and re-painting, but that's a nice solid boat.

Sorry, the larger photo doesn't seem to want to post.

David G
08-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by David G http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2285494#post2285494)
Or... you could get hurt feelings and withdraw your thin-skinned self ...

Now THAT'S funny. :D

I hoped you'd get that one, and not take it wrong ;)

Sam F
08-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by David G
...I hoped you'd get that one, and not take it wrong ;)

Nah ...http://civilwartalk.com/images/cs_navy/stonewall.jpg