PDA

View Full Version : I've got crabs

switters
08-10-2009, 09:54 AM
3 days in Reedsport Or and all I got were crabs

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk221/switters_bucket/DSC01865.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk221/switters_bucket/DSC01864.jpg

and one salmon, and one Tuna, and lots of boat rides and sharks,

a good time was had by all, especially the sharks, but not the crabs and a few fish.

goodbasil
08-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Ouch!

Phillip Allen
08-10-2009, 10:32 AM
...and you've been itchin to tell us about it...

David G
08-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Having grown up on the Oregon coast, I can tell you absolutely... it's godawful easy to get crabs in any of our coastal towns.

BETTY-B
08-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Tuna in where the crabs are is not easy though. Did you go way out for the tuna?

DAN

switters
08-10-2009, 02:04 PM
40 miles. The crabbing was done on a salmon fishing charter, different day than the tuna trip.

CharlieCobra
08-10-2009, 02:11 PM
I love me some crab. One of my Sons caught a mess of Dungy's and brought 'em home. I made some good old Maryland style crabcakes. Nummy!

Nanoose
08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Yaa! Fresh tuna is the best. We caught one about 70 miles out on our leg to San Fran. Wonderful eating. Enjoy!

hokiefan
08-10-2009, 04:01 PM
The kid and I went crabbing Saturday afternoon. Didn't catch many, only three keepers to be exact, but we had a good time. We took the fishing rods, but have never seen any fish caught off that pier. A handful, but nothing significant. We did have a casting contest when the pier cleared off a little. We had small 8' surf rods with 3 oz weights, the kid could really fling it. One cast we both got good ones and I beat him by maybe 2-3 feet. He got me a few times as well. It was a good time.

The crabs made a nice snack when everyone got back home later that night.

Cheers,

Bobby

switters
08-10-2009, 04:07 PM
crab recipes? not many crabs in Colorado, just oysters.:D

seriously, not sure what to do with 12 frozen dungys.

John of Phoenix
08-10-2009, 04:49 PM
I was crabbing with a drop net from a pier near Ft Walden Beach, FL one day. Not having much luck it was especially frustrating because I could see a number of nice large crabs in the water a few feet below. A little boy, maybe six years old, came over and watched for several minutes. I asked if he wanted to try his hand with the net.

"You got the wrong bait Mister."
"Yeah? What do you use?"
"I'll show you." and he took the net, threw it in the shallows and pulled in three or four little crabs, maybe two inchers.
"Can't eat them." I said.
"We can't", he smiled as he grabbed one and twisted a wire around the little crab and fastened it to the middle of the net. He dropped the net down near one of the big ones and to my amazement that big boy actually swam up and climbed into the net!

In no time he had six nice crabs in the ice chest. Impressive. I gave him the whole mess - crabs, ice chest, net - everything. He was barefooted and I doubt the little guy had a quarter to his name so I gave him a five spot and thanked him for the crabbing lesson. He couldn't believe it. I never forgot it.

Made our day - both of us.

hokiefan
08-10-2009, 05:10 PM
crab recipes? not many crabs in Colorado, just oysters.:D

seriously, not sure what to do with 12 frozen dungys.

Don't know much about dungys, but blue crabs get boiled around my house. Big pot, some Old Bay seasoning, drop'em in live, and let'em boil for 15 minutes. I usually back them and clean them out, then dump'em on the table. A picnic table with newspaper is the best ambience.:D Kids, dogs, and friends around the pool is tops.

Cheers,

Bobby

rooster
08-10-2009, 05:27 PM
I was crabbing with a drop net from a pier near Ft Walden Beach, FL one day. Not having much luck it was especially frustrating because I could see a number of nice large crabs in the water a few feet below. A little boy, maybe six years old, came over and watched for several minutes. I asked if he wanted to try his hand with the net.

"You got the wrong bait Mister."
"Yeah? What do you use?"
"I'll show you." and he took the net, threw it in the shallows and pulled in three or four little crabs, maybe two inchers.
"Can't eat them." I said.
"We can't", he smiled as he grabbed one and twisted a wire around the little crab and fastened it to the middle of the net. He dropped the net down near one of the big ones and to my amazement that big boy actually swam up and climbed into the net!

In no time he had six nice crabs in the ice chest. Impressive. I gave him the whole mess - crabs, ice chest, net - everything. He was barefooted and I doubt the little guy had a quarter to his name so I gave him a five spot and thanked him for the crabbing lesson. He couldn't believe it. I never forgot it.

Made our day - both of us.

Nice story,good on ya!:)

James McMullen
08-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Crab recipe:
1. boil 'em
2. eat 'em

repeat as necessary. melted down butter or seasoning mix or any of that stuff is utterly unnecessary for the most glorious of crabs, the noble Dungeness.

hansp77
08-10-2009, 10:06 PM
My favourite crab recipe- usually done on blue swimmers.

Cut them in half lengthwise and clean them thoroughly. For bigger crabs cracking the large claws is beneficial.

Roughly chop up literally a heap of garlic and chilli. Chilli medium to hot, Garlic, whatever, even the cheap chinese cr@p will do as long as you have enough of it.
Then, put it all in a big bowl and mix the crab and chili-garlic together, sprinkle some sea salt and pour a little olive oil over the lot and carefully rub it around or toss it with a lid on.
Get a very big solid based pan/pot with a well fitting lid that will hold a lot of heat- cast iron works best. Do this outside as the fumes will melt your nostril hairs and/or temporarily choke you half to death:eek:
Get the pan pot as hot as you can (ie for a big pot/big batch, a cast iron pan can begin to glow with heat) and with the heat still on full-blast, chuck in a quick splash of extra olive oil, and then immediately dump in a pot full of the crab mix. Slam the lid on, tight, and every 10-30 seconds or so with gloves grab it by the handles while holding the lid down with your thumbs and give it a toss/shake.

Basically you are pressure steaming/smoking/frying the crab. The garlic and chili burns up and caramelises and the flavours infuse into the crab meat. Depending on how much crab you have put in, the sizes of the things, and how big your pot is, cooking time should only be about 3-7 minutes.
When done either dump the lot onto a serving plate or just pick out the half crabs. The flavour and aroma are fantastic, and if you get the timing right, the meat as juicy and tender as possible by any other cooking method. The chili and garlic are disposed of- their purpose is served and now they taste very unpleasant.
A little sea salt in a small dish, mixed into a basic sauce with a fresh squeeze of lemon/lime/kumquat juice is a nice addition to dip the meat into.

Is also my favourite way of doing large fresh prawns/shrimp- and a slightly different (different marinade, open pan and quicker cooking time) version for doing cut and tenderised abalone.

YUM!

George Jung
08-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Is a blue crab the same as a stone crab? Or Blue stone crab? Delish!

riveter
08-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Switters////When I read the thread title..."I've got crabs"...good luck with getting a date! You should disengage yourself as having crabs...and maybe say, "you are in possesion of some fresh caught crabs from the sea"

Ya never know where your too...till ya been where your at!

boylesboats
08-10-2009, 11:05 PM
3 days in Reedsport Or and all I got were crabs

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk221/switters_bucket/DSC01865.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk221/switters_bucket/DSC01864.jpg

and one salmon, and one Tuna, and lots of boat rides and sharks,

a good time was had by all, especially the sharks, but not the crabs and a few fish.

So you been very busy... :D Nice mess of crabs...

hansp77
08-10-2009, 11:09 PM
this is what we call blue swimmer crabs,
you can catch them at night in the right spots with dip nets and lights,
http://www.reef.crc.org.au/research/fishing_fisheries/statusfisheries/images/Crab,%20BlueSwimmer_Portunuspelagicus.jpg

pretty small, and a bit of hard work for the end meat ratio (nothing like cracking open a big old mud crab claw), but very affordable with clean taste if you get them fresh.

pipefitter
08-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Stone crabs here in FL. you are only allowed to keep one claw and the crab is returned to the water alive. We used to bait the rock piles one week with fish parts and snorkel and catch them the next. I prefer stone crab claws over lobster.
http://www.okeefes.org/Favorite%20Photos/Favorite_Photos_1/stone_crab_100_9110.jpg
http://blogs.menupages.com/southflorida/stonecrabs.jpg

You do not want to get your fingers in their claws or in their elbow. They are quite powerful.

bobbys
08-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Take crab meat put on a english muffin, put cheese on top and put in the oven till the cheese melts..

Scramble eggs add cheese and crab meat.

Or just melt a cube of butter dip crab meat into butter while drinking a nice beer while you keep repeating.

What are the poor folks doing????

I, Rowboat
08-11-2009, 10:08 AM
The boy and I are using crab rings, which require inspection every 15 to 30 minutes or so. The rings are much less productive than pots but, alas, pots take up way too much space in the Shellback Dinghy. The constant tending isn't so bad because it gives an excuse to sail around or have a snack. The boy is 3.5 years old and is really getting a knack for catching the line buoys on-the-fly, under sail. He's also getting a little too confident in his ability to not fall out of the boat as he reaches for the line. A little too confident, if you ask me.
We come home with 2 or 3 Dungys and Red Rocks usually, and he has never named them or tried to turn them into pets -- he is as excited to eat them as Mom and Dad are.

I went out this weekend in Dragonfly, a Ness Yawl. She's much bigger, heaves-to well, and is generally much better for crabbing. We got one measly Red Rock. Of course, I was using salmon scraps (heads, tails, etc) previously, but all I had this week was cans of cat food. I am pretty sure the bait explains most of this performance, although I suspect the crabs are also thinning out around Kingston as the season wears on. Speaking of which, I am limited in how far I can go by how far I want to row if the wind fails (this happened on Saturday). Oddly enough, I've never seen anyone else crab under sail until this Saturday, when I saw a couple crabbing from some non-descript daysailer. Everyone else is always in a motor-powered craft. I take pride in my non-octane-powered foraging missions.

Concordia...41
08-11-2009, 05:24 PM
I think John's story is pretty cool and a imparts several good lessons - patience, intelligence, gratitude :)

- M