PDA

View Full Version : Newfoundland needs your help

bob winter
08-10-2009, 08:01 AM
In conversations with the son's inlaws, who are Newfoundlanders, it has come to my attention that the Rock is devoid of raccoons, skunks, and, I am let to believe, porcupines. This is a shocking state of affairs. For instance, dogs brought up in Newfoundland that move to Fort McMurray will not have the slightest idea of what a skunk is and are thus unprepared to act in a prudent manner. In addition, many of the joys of garbage day are not being enjoyed to their fullness by the residents of that wonderful island.

I am going to visit in October and I had planned to bring a pair of raccoons with me but the wife has wisely pointed out that there could be problems getting the suckers in the luggage. I would seem to me that the only practical manner of getting the various missing rodents to their destination is likely by boat. Therefore, anybody planning a cruise to that area would be doing the residents a favour if they were to land a few of the above mentioned critters on shore, likely the best time being the dead of night.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
08-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Can you not just post them?

Pirate-at-heart
08-10-2009, 08:38 AM
hey. what a wonderful person you are! really, not many people would care enough to try to re-establish a native species. Cheers to you, Bob!

Theres a couple questions you might want to ask yourself before you hit the seas with some wee raccoons.

How will you find raccoons to bring with you? how will you know if they are male and female? how will you know if they find each other terribly sexy or not?

will you be bringing the mood music at all? I hear raccoons like Barry Manilow.

Most important, what happened to all the raccoons on newfoundland? I dont know. Perhaps rabies or lyme killed them all off, and your efforts might be useless.

But in any event, I really do applaud this most nobel effort of yours, and wish I could help.
Cheers!

skuthorp
08-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Raccoons? Piker! Why not just go for broke and bring a pair of Skunks in the baggage

TomF
08-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Aww, we already gave them some moose - why do we hafta give away some raccoons and skunks too?

Vince Brennan
08-10-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm moving there!

NO SKUNKS!

Imagine, finally a land without politicians!

mmd
08-10-2009, 09:57 AM
No snakes, either...

Nor crickets.

A friend who was born & raised here in Bluenose country emigrated to The Granite Planet brought his then-girlfriend home to meet the folks one warm July. She had never been off The Rock before. Friend's folks lived next to a hayfield at the outskirts of town. After three days she asked to go home - she couldn't sleep because of all the noise of the crickets.

Nights in Newfoundland are profoundly quiet... except for the blackflies.

goodbasil
08-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Taking critters into Newfoundland could land you in jail.

paladin
08-10-2009, 10:25 AM
When I wuz there they wuz trying to export the wimmins.:p

mmd
08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
They succeeded, Chuck. Ask Hugh Hefner and Gene Simmons...

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
08-10-2009, 11:43 AM
It's all very well sending fauna, but what about flora.

I can do a sharp deal on Japanese Knotweed (edible) and Himalayan Balsam (decorative).

S B
08-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Japanese knotweed we have, some idiot brought coyotes here 20 years ago, on there way to wiping out the caribou. Same sort brought red squirrels, song birds gone. All sorts of insects, snails,toads and crabs wrecking havoc on the local population. If you attempt to bring skunks here I will personally meet you at the wharf and make you change your mind. I know the boat crews,you will be caught. Several simpleminded souls have tried introducing snakes, they can't live here. The experience of Wilfred Grenfell and Joe Smallwood has not taught the do gooders , that nature should not be fooked with.

coelacanth2
08-10-2009, 09:22 PM
No snakes, porkys, raccoons, or skunks (or, as was observed above, politicians). We'd be delighted to send you most of ours (the politicians, that is - I'd keep the critters, poisonous reptiles and all, skunks too) but they have a way of finding their way back to DC. Mebbee you could use'em for lobster bait - they are certainly corrupt enough:D. We tried to use them for crab bait, the crabs turned them down.